Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Boomr Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleLucid_Euphoria
Sojourner

Loc: Flip Side
Whats the deal with this bulk tray!? *PICS included*
    #4207580 - 05/22/05 06:25 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

This tray of ~5#s of 50/50 Prepastuerized Tenn. Stud horse poo/straw mix was spawned to 1.5 quarts of colonized WBS on 4/30. 22 Days later this is what I have:

The lighting on this first pic is a little bad -

This is the top half of the uncolonized area -

This is the bottom half of the uncolonized area -

These next 2 are just a couple of close up shots of the mycellium -

Now this tray has been incubating in a TiT, between 83 and 87 degrees. I know that is a little high, so I finally got it stabalized at around 82 now. I don't see how that temp variation could have caused this to take so long to colonize. The spawn was thouroughly mixxed into the substrate. The surface was about 80% colonized after about one and a half weeks of incubation. Another 1-1.5 weeks later and you can see where it is. The growth is still spreading but very slowly, its almost unnoticable. Anyone have any ideas or suggestions?

I was thinking about removing the uncolonized substrate, then flipping the whole thing upside down and casing it like that.

My other tray I did at the same time as this one got the mean green and was tossed out. Please help, this is bumming me out.  :sad:

--------------------
PAN CYAN & AZURE FOR TRADE

"If ignorance is bliss, THEN KNOCK THE SMILE OFF MY FACE!" - Zach de la Rocha

"Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves. Here's Tom with the weather!" -Bill Hicks-

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineweathereporter88
Male

Re: Whats the deal with this bulk tray!? *PICS included* [Re: Lucid_Euphoria]
    #4207583 - 05/22/05 06:28 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

It may be too humid or you have sprayed too much because i don't think there should be that many droplets on the myc. My $0.02.

Offlinepsilocyben
bad guy

#4207592 - 05/22/05 06:33 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

you want to make sure to mix your spawn up really well.
i don't [think] that your temps are high enough to stall growth, but...
elevated temperatures do make you more susceptible to contamination.
there is always the possibility that you have a contamination issue that is not visible.
:zoom:

--------------------

InvisibleLucid_Euphoria
Sojourner

Re: Whats the deal with this bulk tray!? *PICS included* [Re: psilocyben]
    #4207639 - 05/22/05 06:49 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Yah Ben that is what I'm afraid of. I do know there aren't any contams around the sides of it though, I have pulled back the walls and its solid healthy looking myc all the way around. What do you suggest I do? Wait it out and if it finishes colonizing then case it? Or should I dig/rip into the middle of it to inspect for contams? Or should I do what I'd planned and remove the uncolonized area/flip it over to case.

About the humidity. There is a lot of water droplets on it. I didn't know if this was normal or not but I haven't sprayed it at all. Its been wrapped in plastic wrap with small holes punched in the plastic by a paper clip. Should there not be so much moisture/condensation?

--------------------

"Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves. Here's Tom with the weather!" -Bill Hicks-

Offlinelordoftheshroomz
recoveringaddict
 User Gallery

Loc: wouldn't you like to kno ...
    #4207645 - 05/22/05 06:52 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

would jus case and fruit it at this point

--------------------
MY Glove Box, Automated Terrarium, and Incubator
Lil' Wyte, Three Six Mafia, Project Pat will bring it to ya door if theres ana on ya chest.
THE PATRIOT ACT MAY BE THE DOOM OF US ALL! THEY CAN GET THINGS LIKE YOUR MEDICAL/LEGAL RECORDS, YOUR INTERNET HISTORY, YOUR GOOGLE SEARCH INFORMATION, ALL WITHOUT PROBABLE CAUSE OR A WARRANT! ALSO NO ONE CAN LEGALLY TELL YOU. YOU'LL NEVER KNOW UNTIL IT'S TOO LATE, THIS ISN'T EXACTLY A FREE COUNTRY ANYMORE NOW IS IT? THEY ARE DESTROYING THIS COUNTRY SO THEY CAN GET RICHER! THE WAR IN IRAQ ACCOMPLISHED NOTHING! HELP GET THE CONSERVATIVE RIGHT WING-NUTS OUT OF POWER, MAKE AN EDUCATED VOTE!

InvisibleLucid_Euphoria
Sojourner

Re: Whats the deal with this bulk tray!? *PICS included* [Re: lordoftheshroomz]
    #4207682 - 05/22/05 07:07 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Couldn't that be postentially hazerdous though if it is a contam holding it back?

--------------------

Offlinelordoftheshroomz
recoveringaddict
 User Gallery

Loc: wouldn't you like to kno ...
    #4207703 - 05/22/05 07:11 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

i didnt see any contams but then again a contam could be more than surface deep, i doubt its a contam hodling it back tho

--------------------
MY Glove Box, Automated Terrarium, and Incubator
Lil' Wyte, Three Six Mafia, Project Pat will bring it to ya door if theres ana on ya chest.
THE PATRIOT ACT MAY BE THE DOOM OF US ALL! THEY CAN GET THINGS LIKE YOUR MEDICAL/LEGAL RECORDS, YOUR INTERNET HISTORY, YOUR GOOGLE SEARCH INFORMATION, ALL WITHOUT PROBABLE CAUSE OR A WARRANT! ALSO NO ONE CAN LEGALLY TELL YOU. YOU'LL NEVER KNOW UNTIL IT'S TOO LATE, THIS ISN'T EXACTLY A FREE COUNTRY ANYMORE NOW IS IT? THEY ARE DESTROYING THIS COUNTRY SO THEY CAN GET RICHER! THE WAR IN IRAQ ACCOMPLISHED NOTHING! HELP GET THE CONSERVATIVE RIGHT WING-NUTS OUT OF POWER, MAKE AN EDUCATED VOTE!

InvisibleLucid_Euphoria
Sojourner

Re: Whats the deal with this bulk tray!? *PICS included* [Re: lordoftheshroomz]
    #4207719 - 05/22/05 07:14 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Well I think I'm going to at least flip it upside down, so I can still get an even pinsit? Or do you think this may confuse the mycellium and slow down its momentum to move into vegative stage?

--------------------

OfflineSunshinePounder
The Girl withthe Sun in HerEyes

Loc: Peace Man!
    #4207832 - 05/22/05 07:54 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Nice piksures :eek:
Seems timely to me. I'd say case it and inc for 'bout 3 days, then fruit.

:mushroom2:

--------------------
My [url=www.http://tinyurl.com/6valr target=_blank]Unitarian Jihad Name[/url] is: Sister Claymore of The Short Path
Get yours

If I was the sun, I'd look for the shade~Liberty

Baby I love you, and you love me. Let's love each other to eternity~

OfflinePhotoguy
Drunk andJobless

Loc: Drunk in Texas
Re: Whats the deal with this bulk tray!? *PICS included* [Re: SunshinePounder]
    #4207858 - 05/22/05 08:01 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Wait another 5 days. Whats the worst that can happen? Give it a little more time to take care of itself. Thats probably just a lil to much moisture to create that spot. Just leave it alone and it should do fine.

--------------------
You gotta check yo' self before you wreck yo' self

B, Z, F, Burma, Cambodian, Golden Teacher, Puerto Rico, South American, Costa Rica, African

My name is Ender Wiggen and I will own you soon. Bean is my second in command, he is PC'ing jars right now.

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Whats the deal with this bulk tray!? *PICS included* [Re: Photoguy]
    #4207887 - 05/22/05 08:07 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

The problem is your uneven spawning, and your heat. Theres no peices of spawn right there..and there should be. Either way though, its happening in the center because poo will generate some heat. The larger the tub, the more heat it will generate. A tub that size should be kept at 75-80 because the center of the poo will heat up 5-10 degrees.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

OfflineGr0wer
always improving
Male

Loc: El Paso, TX Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Whats the deal with this bulk tray!? *PICS included* [Re: scatmanrav]
    #4207945 - 05/22/05 08:19 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

That straw looks shreaded, its much better to cut straw into small pieces, around 1" should bo good. Keeping the tube shape of the straw helps colonization rate.

Will you be casing this tray?

Offlinesludge
blunt rapter

Loc: somewhere in usa
Re: Whats the deal with this bulk tray!? *PICS included* [Re: Gr0wer]
    #4208116 - 05/22/05 09:08 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

i did my casings like that my poo was not all the way done it wouldnt colinize for some reason but this is how it turned out [image][/image]

--------------------
Down in a hole and I don't know if I can be saved
See my heart I decorate it like a grave
You don't understand who they
Thought I was supposed to be
Look at me now a man
Who won't let himself be

InvisibleLucid_Euphoria
Sojourner

Re: Whats the deal with this bulk tray!? *PICS included* [Re: sludge]
    #4208133 - 05/22/05 09:13 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Yes I'll be casing it. I think I'll wait a few more days and see if it finishes colonizing. If not I will go ahead and case it and hope for the best.

The straw/poo mixture was premixed from Tennessee Stud.

Scat, thanks for the heads up on the temps thing. Lesson learned. I just hope I can get a decent flush from this thing.

--------------------

Offlinegoofy98
Heart of ahustler wrist ofa chemist
 User Gallery

Loc: next door
    #4208280 - 05/22/05 09:50 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

i dont think you should have been incubating that bulk. I monitor my core temps very closly. I have a problem keeping the core below 87 when the room temp is 73. Your core temps are probly about 7-10F higher then the temperature of the air around it. That would explain your slow colonization time...

InvisibleLucid_Euphoria
Sojourner

Re: Whats the deal with this bulk tray!? *PICS included* [Re: goofy98]
    #4208337 - 05/22/05 10:05 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Thanks a ton for the replies. So a bulk tub of that size shouldn't be incubated if the room temp is in the mid 70's?

Do you think the extra heat could also be why there is so much condensation?

I've turned off the incubator so hopefully it will pick up colonization again and finish this thing off within a few days.

--------------------

Invisibleagar
old hand
 User Gallery

Loc: Somewhere Else
Trusted Cultivator
    #4209948 - 05/23/05 12:38 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Bulk h/poo or compost trays do generate a few degrees of internal heat while colonizing. The bigger they are, the more heat they appear to generate.

If the area where the tray is, is a comfortable room temperature (72F), there is no need to incubate them at a much higher tempurature.

The INTERNAL Substrate Temperature should be:

84?F - 86?F.

Thermal death limits have been established at 106?F.

Meaning, if you are incubating in the 82 / 85F range (and if your themometer is in ambiant air, rather than a probe inside the actual substrate), there is a chance you could approach mycilia's thermal death limit.

Which can/may & sometimes WILL stall colonization.

I would guess the 12 quart trays I do, run about 14 to 16 pounds in gross weight. I incubate then at about room tempurature I.,E. 75F.

Another factor is that I tend to save back a few percent of spawn & top load the substrate with it. Trying to make sure that there is healthy colonized spawn everywhere on the substrate surface withing 1/4 to 1/2 inch from each other.

Doing so leads to QUICKER surface colonization.

Oddly, once you get a stalled substrate area (as you have), for some reason, even if you lower your tempurature, myc hesitates to colonize the bare area.

I would give it a few more days & it may pick up the slack, or may not.

If it appears it will not. You could add more of the same exact spawn over the bare area (if you have some available). In hopes it will colonize & knit with the existing colonization.

Worse case, is to just add your casing mixture. But, over the uncolonized area lay a thin layer of straight hydrated pasturized coir, then a thicker layer of normal casing mixture over the top of that.

The hope being that the colonized area would spread into & colonize the coir, then extend up through the normal casing mixture in an EVEN SPREAD. :crazy2:

--------------------

Invisibletahoe
Noob Slayer
Male User Gallery

Loc: N38.93829W119.98108
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Whats the deal with this bulk tray!? *PICS included* [Re: agar]
    #4210727 - 05/23/05 03:41 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

it does look warm to me. I usally run 12 cups of seed in a casing and they produce enough heat and humidity to self sustain themselves. Recently i used 30 cups of seed and the casing over heated. It was steaming up the veiwing window very badly and was just asking for blotch. damn ports.
Room temp with shiitake spawn

Shiiitake with the therm stuck in it.

--------------------
Stop experimenting half way through your first grow. Grow it to maturity, watch it, learn from it. Do this a few times then experiment with different ideas and figure out what works best for you.

My Legacy
https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/22140987#22140987

Teh=The
I need to proofread

Edited by tahoe (05/23/05 03:53 PM)

InvisibleLucid_Euphoria
Sojourner

Re: Whats the deal with this bulk tray!? *PICS included* [Re: tahoe]
    #4211660 - 05/23/05 07:57 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Thanks a ton folks for the replies. I definately learned my lesson here. Agar I will try what you suggested if it refuses to finish colonization.

One other question? Should I poke inside the uncolonized area if it does refuse to colonize? To make sure that there isn't a contam there? Or will I be safe to just case it and fruit?

--------------------

Invisibleagar
old hand
 User Gallery

Loc: Somewhere Else
Trusted Cultivator
    #4211692 - 05/23/05 08:04 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

A light scratch in the uncolonized area might help. But, then again it might not. Up to you. Be patiant, see what it does - before considering any intervention.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Boomr Bag