Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineRandolph_Carter
НơĻ?ĢΉō

Loc: Shroomery B-list.
Grinding birdseed..
    #419896 - 10/09/01 05:14 PM (22 years, 5 months ago)

ANd in my final of 3 questions and initial bombardment of this forum, would grinding the birdseed used in the birdseed tek be more efficient? One would look at an easier access to growth materials as much better. Any answers/opinions are welcomed. Stay frosty.

--------------------
"..all those molecules thrashing their kinky little tails, hot for destiny and the street."  Gibson

Nuke baby seals for Jesus!

(This has been a +1 production.)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineBeppoMarx
old hand
Re: Grinding birdseed.. [Re: Randolph_Carter]
    #419939 - 10/09/01 05:54 PM (22 years, 5 months ago)

i would say no. birdseed in itself rocks, and i also think that grinding it up would make a dense cake with very limited air/water space; much the reason why when you use BRF or rye flour you have to use vermiculite to get some space in there somewhere. the birdseed being larger granules allows space for the mycellium to grow in between teh seeds. If you wanna try grinding them, mix some verm in there too but its probably not worth the effort

--------------------
Holy shit people; COMMON SENSE! we were all born with it where did it go?
maybe theres a tek out there to explain how to use it!
BUCKETS BRIGADE left hand man!!!

Offlinepyromaniac
addict
Loc: Oregon
Re: Grinding birdseed.. [Re: BeppoMarx]
    #419945 - 10/09/01 05:57 PM (22 years, 5 months ago)

Yes, but if you ground it up and mixed with verm, then theoretcally, you should be able to use something other than a p. cooker to sterilize, like a pot of boiling water.  This would be advantageous to those of us who have no p. cooker.

I admit it, Im a fungal-feliac :wink:
Support the FSR!
Be A Millionaire

--------------------
I admit it, Im a fungal-feliac :wink:
Support the FSR!

OfflineBeppoMarx
old hand
Re: Grinding birdseed.. [Re: pyromaniac]
    #419979 - 10/09/01 06:28 PM (22 years, 5 months ago)

if you dont have a PC then i would use a microwave over boiling in water any day. it really targets the heat on the inside instead of just trying to transfer the heat into the jars thru the glass. gets much, MUCH hotter and easily kills everything. I have no experience with pressure cooking so i cannot compare results but i never had a problem with micing. also when removing jar lids after the hot jars cool (mic with no top obviously and cap with alcohol sterile lids while the jars are still in the mic right after you open the door) i find that there is quite a bit of pressure under those lids, i would guess even more than 15lbs. i would recommend it to anyone tho, as long as you mic them for long enough- the longer the better (while still retaining the moisture)

--------------------

OfflineBeppoMarx
old hand
    #419981 - 10/09/01 06:30 PM (22 years, 5 months ago)

well, 15lbs of negative pressure. i dunno. i just know that itsa bitch to get those suctioned caps off :)

--------------------

OfflineRandolph_Carter
НơĻ?ĢΉō

Loc: Shroomery B-list.
    #420714 - 10/10/01 12:03 PM (22 years, 5 months ago)

Well, with a mixture of ground birdseed and a decent amount of hay as described by one of your other posts, one would think that a strong mycelium network would form, and the denseness of the birdseed would allow (theoretically) for more flushs. Plus, a good layer of this mixture would provide what appears to be a relativly good base layer for casing...just a thought. I'll post more once the lazy bastards at R&D get of their asses. stay frosty.

--------------------
"..all those molecules thrashing their kinky little tails, hot for destiny and the street."  Gibson

Nuke baby seals for Jesus!

(This has been a +1 production.)

Offlineheathadelic

#420752 - 10/10/01 12:42 PM (22 years, 5 months ago)

don't you worry that when you take the caps off, the suction will pull dirty air into your jars?

Swing the groove 'round here, so I can reach it -a.d.

--------------------
"...time is not money, time is an opportunity to live before you die."

OfflineDroog
Stranger
Re: Grinding birdseed.. [Re: heathadelic]
    #420911 - 10/10/01 02:38 PM (22 years, 5 months ago)

the reason the suction is there...

when the jars heat up, the air inside expands, pushing some air out the top. When the jar cools again, the air contracts to normal, but since the lid is on, it acts as a 1 way valve.. air goes out but cant get back in. As the jar cools the lid will get pulled tight against the top of the jar. The maximum force that it can be put under is 14.7 psi (atmospheric pressure) and, of course, when you pull the lid off dirty air will get sucked in. I recomend placing an upsidedown plate ontop of the jar and letting everythign in the microwave completely cool before quickly removing the plate and slapping down the sterile lid. Since the plate doesnt have a perfect seal to the jar, its less likely that air from outside the microwave will be sucked into it. Instead, the air will slowly be sucked back into the jar while the microwave door is still closed and all the air inside of there is sterile.

peace

"cus it aint gonna be like you think it is - thats the one thing you can take to the bank."

--------------------
"cus it aint gonna be like you think it is - thats the one thing you can take to the bank."

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix