Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Psychedelic Experience

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Seeds Store buy cannabis seeds, Buy CBD   Amazon DXM

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflinePlok
Life is fractal
Male

Loc: Los Angeles
Long term effects of psychadelic use
    #4206804 - 05/22/05 03:25 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

I have been getting very close to a woman and although we are on the same page about almost everything, we go very different directions when it comes to drugs. I have the attitude that most of us have on this board, that many drugs are not (very) harmful when used in moderation, particularly most psychadelics.

She is not naive about drugs, but worries about the long term consequences of using psychadelics regularly. Does anyone have any data, evidence, or anything to indicate what the long term effects of regular (let's say once every two weeks to a month) use of psychadelics are? I am specifically talking about mushrooms, although I would also be interested to know about LSD.

Is there any evidence to indicate that LSD is more harmful to you than mushrooms? Has anyone on this board experienced problems from long term, semi-regular psychadelic use? I have been using mushrooms regularly for about six months and have not had any problems whatsoever.

Thank you very much.

--------------------
Just say NO to the War on Drugs.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlineryanvergel
qdbpqdbp
Male

Re: Long term effects of psychadelic use [Re: Plok]
    #4206818 - 05/22/05 03:29 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

yes, both physical and psychological, please. I'd like to know as well ^^. I'm sure it's been talked about in alot of other threads, but I don't think I've seen any bad long-term effects for either PHYSICALLY, but sometimes psychologically.

If I'm wrong about the physical part, please let me know. Does LSD/Mushrooms have any long-term physical effects whatsoever.

--------------------
So it goes.

Invisiblemyndreach
philosopher
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Long term effects of psychadelic use [Re: ryanvergel]
    #4206873 - 05/22/05 03:50 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

I used LSD quite a bit during and just after high school, and I feel that this is the cause of my short-term memory problems. However, I feel it has enhanced my long-term memory, especially memories of early childhood.

I know there are many cases of breaks with reality after prolonged use of LSD, but have not heard of any from mushroom use. This is all just stuff I've read on my own here and there over the years of research.

InvisibleDark_Star
Loose as the Juice
Male User Gallery

Loc: Uranus
    #4207142 - 05/22/05 05:45 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

www.erowid.org You'll find info there, IME the long term effects of psychedelics are all positive. As far as physical effects, there are none.

--------------------

Offlineunearth
Stranger
Re: Long term effects of psychadelic use [Re: Dark_Star]
    #4207150 - 05/22/05 05:48 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

maybe flashbacks could be considered a long-term effect of lsd use.

InvisibleDark_Star
Loose as the Juice
Male User Gallery

Loc: Uranus
Re: Long term effects of psychadelic use [Re: unearth]
    #4207165 - 05/22/05 05:55 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

True flashbacks are extremely rare occurances, and they can be caused by any intense emotional experience, they aren't due to drugs themselves.

--------------------

Offlinenightkrawler
explorer
Male

Loc: new england
Re: Long term effects of psychadelic use [Re: Dark_Star]
    #4207610 - 05/22/05 08:40 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

one of my friends says that he thinks acid has done damage to his short term memory, while i don't think it has because he used to do a lot of different drugs, and i think it could've been anything. but he is fairly sure the acid has had an effect. i know, this is isn't saying much, but it's still something that should be taken into account.

the only effect i've noticed from tripping is seeing things in the corner of your eyes that aren't there. sometimes it's kind of annoying, and i have to do a double take a lot to see if i really saw what i thought i did. although i'm not sure if this is a long term effect or not, as i have not gone a month without using any psychedelic drugs in awhile, and i do smoke weed regularly.

i agree with dark star in that most of the effects are positive, and if seeing things in the corner of your eye are a permanent side effect, then it's still totally worth it.

--------------------

Not all who wander are lost - J.R.R. Tolkien

InvisiblezSDMF
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: lost in nothing Flag
    #4207669 - 05/22/05 09:03 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

sometimes i feel 'off'.. i did lsd alot a few years ago when i could find it. nothing too godawful bad, i'd consider the effects positive. sinse i've backed off tripping almost totally, however, i do find it's easier to think alot clearer and short term memory is definitely better. but, .. between dxm and lsd, i was tripping twice a week. that kind of use is asking for it alone

OfflineHarveyInTheSky
Shades of Cool

Re: Long term effects of psychadelic use [Re: nightkrawler]
    #24531256 - 08/05/17 12:56 AM (3 months, 17 days ago)

Regarding memory issues, mine used to be quite sharp, and became lousy over night around age 20 or so. I didn't do any drugs until 10 years later.

Memory is formed dependent on emotion, and it can be decreased dramatically by any personality changes, which could be triggered for example by falling in love for the first time, losing one's virginity, or some traumatic event - any such event might change the way you emote, how much emotion you feel in daily life, and as such, the ability to form stronger memories. Apathy definitely decreases memory.

Drugs can cause the experiences that make such changes, but it's really not about psychedelics ruining your brain or anything like that.. it's just you changed. You can change back too :wink:

--------------------
Shadilay

OfflineBird_Guts
Ser Peniswrinkle
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: Cold 9 months out of the ... Flag
Re: Long term effects of psychadelic use [Re: HarveyInTheSky]
    #24531264 - 08/05/17 01:02 AM (3 months, 17 days ago)

Respect the substances you take and you will have no worries

These drugs are not meant for recreational use, they are tools to learn from. Many here will disagree but the older heads with real experience will agree with me

--BG--

Invisiblenooneman
Male

Loc: California
    #24531270 - 08/05/17 01:07 AM (3 months, 17 days ago)

I have done a lot of psychedelics relatively often including an enormous amount of RCs over a very long period of time.

Whenever I close my eyes, I perpetually see psychedelic like imagery, these days mainly lysergamide like imagery. Full on psychedelic visuals 100% of the time when I close my eyes.

If I stare at any surface for more than a few moments, I will get patterning and flowing on that surface. In fact, the patterning is almost immediate when I look at something.

In addition, my thought process is slightly psychedelic 24/7. I get the associations you get on psychedelics a lot, almost at random, when driving for example. Sometimes I find myself thinking like I do under a lysergamide, or experiencing the depth of feeling and association you do under mushrooms.

I've also had true flashbacks (but only in the immediate aftermath of heavy use).

I wouldn't say it's totally without risk to use frequently over a long period of time. I would instead say that what you'll gain from the experiences will be worth the price you pay.

Offlinemctaveesh
StrangerInAStrangeLand
Male

Re: Long term effects of psychadelic use [Re: nooneman]
    #24531286 - 08/05/17 01:16 AM (3 months, 17 days ago)

I think I get sort of the same stuff as you. The closed-eyes stuff a lot. Although I don't always get the flowing/patterning when staring at something. But it happens sometimes. It happened today when I went to my school to turn in some papers.

I don't even see it as a bad thing. It's just like my mind sorta wanders sometimes. But I like it because I feel at peace when it happens and sometimes I realize some things out of nowhere. It doesn't really hurt my ability to focus. It only happens when I'm sorta standing around doing nothing or going on a walk or something.

^ This is intensified when I meditate and exercise regularly, too.

--------------------

LogicaL Chaos said:
"humans are like cubes, lots of strains but cubes a cube. Not much difference really."

Offlinesunshine
Sin18DwireWuTang

Loc: higher plane of sex
Re: Long term effects of psychadelic use [Re: mctaveesh]
    #24531340 - 08/05/17 02:05 AM (3 months, 17 days ago)

I'm never taking a large dose of trip ever again.  I am sober for the next ten years.  I have a 14 year sober period, so I know I will be OK!

Offlinemctaveesh
StrangerInAStrangeLand
Male

Re: Long term effects of psychadelic use [Re: sunshine]
    #24531342 - 08/05/17 02:08 AM (3 months, 17 days ago)

What are you on everyday?

--------------------

LogicaL Chaos said:
"humans are like cubes, lots of strains but cubes a cube. Not much difference really."

Offlinemctaveesh
StrangerInAStrangeLand
Male

Re: Long term effects of psychadelic use [Re: mctaveesh]
    #24531343 - 08/05/17 02:08 AM (3 months, 17 days ago)

There's no way you're sober...

--------------------

LogicaL Chaos said:

Offlinesunshine
Sin18DwireWuTang

Loc: higher plane of sex
Re: Long term effects of psychadelic use [Re: mctaveesh] * 1
    #24531374 - 08/05/17 02:35 AM (3 months, 17 days ago)

I'm sober.  I practice martial arts so I might sound high to people.  I don't know.

OfflineNortherner
heavy swappiness
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: Flag
Re: Long term effects of psychadelic use [Re: sunshine] * 1
    #24531487 - 08/05/17 04:20 AM (3 months, 17 days ago)

My anecdotal experience OP is that psychedelics can be used as healers and teachers throughout life.

You certainly wouldn't want to trip every week for 20 years, but I've been doing these things on and off for more than 20 years.

I have a family, home, professional career... all the things normal people want.

I'm happy, no conflict in my home.

BUT...

The endless question remains. Psychedelics are Pandora's Box. They demand you look inside, again and again. Or you can become a slave to the system... your choice.

edit: the only flashbacks I ever got were from DMT, and only in the next day or two.

--------------------
In a Newtonian universe, gravitation should pull all matter into a single point.

Edited by Northerner (08/05/17 04:31 AM)

OfflineP. semilanceata
Milker of knowledge

Re: Long term effects of psychadelic use [Re: Northerner]
    #24531675 - 08/05/17 07:12 AM (3 months, 17 days ago)

According to Jordan Peterson magic mushrooms increase personality trait openness which is connected to creativity for some time after. If you trip regularly it should increase your creativity. I dont know about negative effects it has on you.

--------------------
Things I am looking for.

OfflineHarveyInTheSky
Shades of Cool

Re: Long term effects of psychadelic use [Re: P. semilanceata]
    #24571565 - 08/22/17 01:33 PM (2 months, 30 days ago)

Quote:

P. semilanceata said:
According to Jordan Peterson magic mushrooms increase personality trait openness which is connected to creativity for some time after. If you trip regularly it should increase your creativity. I dont know about negative effects it has on you.

Love Prof. Peterson.

The way I understand it was that trait openness was increased significantly increased I believe a whole year after, even from a single psychedelic experience. There is absolutely no reason to believe this is reversible.

For those who don't know, openness is one of 5 traits in the "big five" personality test, which is arguably superior to the Myers Briggs personality test, if even just slightly.

The point is, the psychedelic experience has real concrete effects on personality, which most psychologists would normally consider a mostly fixed thing. This is quite significant.

--------------------
Shadilay

InvisibleThayendanegeaS
quiet walker
Male User Gallery

Loc: 7 Lodges Nation Flag
Re: Long term effects of psychadelic use [Re: HarveyInTheSky]
    #24571914 - 08/22/17 03:53 PM (2 months, 30 days ago)

I think psychedelics can be abused by taking too much, too often. They are quite powerful and shouldn't be eaten like candy. I've seen people sort of become loners, breaking societal ties that should not be broken...like family or close friends. In most cases, it's not healthy. Psychs are a gift to humanity and should be respected as that.

I doubt there are any physical problems caused by psych's though...I do believe that weed can screw with short term memory loss, and a lot of psych users also smoke a lot of weed.:shrug:

--------------------
Look Deep Into Nature,and Then You Will Understand Everything Better.

Albert Einstein

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Seeds Store buy cannabis seeds, Buy CBD   Amazon DXM

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Psychedelic Experience