Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinephilistine4life
eater of shit
1st timer questions on sterilization- PLEASE READ!
    #420336 - 10/09/01 11:46 PM (22 years, 5 months ago)

ok im awaiting my syringe and ive some questions that are not resolved.

1)ive heard that H202 can be used to soak subtrate in overnight before sterilizing in pressure cooker but to put any h202 in right before is pointless cause its denatured at low temps...also to put it in after will kill spores. is there any point in even using it?

2)ive been told that modifying the pf-tek to dark rye grain flour is superior to brown rice, but ive also heard that if you do this that a pressure cooker is need since rye is not sterilized well in a regular pot. this sound right?

3)as far as micron filters...do they really help?

4) i am very keen to putting alcohol pads over the innoc holes so that there is air exhange for fast colonization but that that air is filtered through alcohol and therefore clean. this sound ok?

5)ok lastly...ive heard that for colonization that warm temps are good. would it be cool to keep my colonizing jars in an upside down box with my laptop on top which would creat very decent heat in the upper stratum of the box...or is this risking slowed growth since there isnt much air exhange?

whew. thanks a lot guys this forum has really informed me so much, i await and appreciate your answers.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinesylo
addict
Re: 1st timer questions on sterilization- PLEASE READ! [Re: philistine4life]
    #420393 - 10/10/01 12:46 AM (22 years, 5 months ago)

There is no point in using H2O2 to presterilize the substrate and using it after would kill the spores.

Rye is harder to sterilize than rice and it is best to use a pressure cooker for either grain.

Someone said using surgical tape is good for covering the holes. It "breathes" and keeps the bugs out at the same time and there are no alcohol fumes.

Shrooms grow nicely at lower temps. The only problem is they grow slightly slower. I would not want to risk messing up a laptop by using it as a heater.

Offlinephilistine4life
eater of shit
Re: 1st timer questions on sterilization- PLEASE READ! [Re: sylo]
    #420419 - 10/10/01 01:34 AM (22 years, 5 months ago)

thanks for replying. wait, what would be bad about alcohol fumes? would they disrupt colonization or hurt the mycelia? and also i heard that HIGHER temps were better for colonization and lower for fruiting. the sporeworks says that for puerto rican(im growing) that 84-86 degrees is best for colonizing, and 74-78 for fruiting. what are your thouhgts?

OfflineTrippinRhino
addict

Loc: TX
    #420436 - 10/10/01 02:11 AM (22 years, 5 months ago)

<1)ive heard that H202 can be used to soak subtrate in overnight before sterilizing in pressure cooker but to put any h202 in right before is pointless cause its denatured at low temps...also to put it in after will kill spores. is there any point in even using it?>

Soaking your substrate?...NO where did you read this? You don't want to soak flour? Peroxide in your substrate is not needed.

<2)ive been told that modifying the pf-tek to dark rye grain flour is superior to brown rice, but ive also heard that if you do this that a pressure cooker is need since rye is not sterilized well in a regular pot. this sound right?>

The use of rye flour vs. rice flour will likey give you a slight increase in potency, nothing more. RYE GRAIN is hard to sterilze and requires a pressure cooker. Rye flour should not be any harder to sterilize than any other flour. NOTE: Since whole grains have endospores, I would recommend making your substrate, filling your jars, and allowing them to sit overnight to allow any endospores to germinate. Then you can try to sterilze in a pot. However, I would recommend a pressure cooker in ALL cases.

<3)as far as micron filters...do they really help?>

Indeed they help with air exchange however, I don't think you will notice much difference with the PF tek.

<4) i am very keen to putting alcohol pads over the innoc holes so that there is air exhange for fast colonization but that that air is filtered through alcohol and therefore clean. this sound ok?>

This is a silly notion....Someone has been giving you some VERY amature speculative information! The alcohol pads would evaporate in mere minutes. I would recommend putting your jars in a CLEAN, covered tupperware with the lids cracked for air exchange...Use the alcohol pads to wipe the jar lids just prior to innoculation and the throw them in the trash!

<5)ok lastly...ive heard that for colonization that warm temps are good. would it be cool to keep my colonizing jars in an upside down box with my laptop on top which would creat very decent heat in the upper stratum of the box...or is this risking slowed growth since there isnt much air exhange?>

Will the box be airtight?....not likely. Therefore, there will be air exchange. If your laptop sits comfotably on the box, go ahead and try it in the tupperware, with the lids cracked under the box , under your laptop...Otherwise, room temp will be fine.

You have been given a lot of RANDOM information. Go to sites like www.thehawkseye.com and read the MMGG Tek or refer back to the PF site if that is your direction. Don't be so influenced by the other kids...

Good luck to you,
Rhino

For Premium prints and cultivation info check out www.thehawkseye.com

--------------------
All rhinos are endangered species...save the rhinos

Offlinephilistine4life
eater of shit
Re: 1st timer questions on sterilization- PLEASE READ! [Re: TrippinRhino]
    #420452 - 10/10/01 02:53 AM (22 years, 5 months ago)

wow thanks for clearing some myths and misconceptions for me. so rye grain would be better used in a PC because it has endospores. you said it would only increase potency a little, yet ive heard numerous accounts of it speeding colonization dramatically. if i use micron filters am i supposed to put the jars in an airtight container or will the cardboard box on the floor with my laptop on top work? could i poke some holes in the box to help air exchange? ive also been thinking about putting the jars in my walk in closet as it is its own little room, would that be a better idea than in a box on the floor where my stank ass feet tread? i find myseld worrying so much that my first batch will be contaminated but i wonder how the fuck these things grow so rampantly in nature on thing like cow shit(if that aint asking for contamination what is?). thanks again

Invisiblepuscle
genius of love
Loc: NY
    #420468 - 10/10/01 04:34 AM (22 years, 5 months ago)

Just keep them off the floor. That's where 90% of the contaminates are.

Offlinephilistine4life
eater of shit
Re: 1st timer questions on sterilization- PLEASE READ! [Re: puscle]
    #420625 - 10/10/01 10:18 AM (22 years, 5 months ago)

would it be best to keep them high up on a closet shelf or something?

OfflineTrippinRhino
addict

Loc: TX
    #420652 - 10/10/01 10:45 AM (22 years, 5 months ago)

I dunno, mycelium seem to grow pretty fast on rice. It grows fast on rye with the proper moisture content. You are reading way more into AIR EXCHANGE than you need to. air exchange in jars is greatly carried out in osmotic fashion. Increasing the area of osmosis (ie. cracking the lids) will increase the air exchange. You don't need a draft blowing accross them or anything like that...lol...In fact, I would recommed protecting them from drafts at all costs.... I WOULD get the jars off of the floor. All sorts of funk lives down there. your jars placed in a tupperware together will generate some heat for themselves... Nothing too dramatic, but some. Jars will colonize FINE at 75 degrees and temp you might expect from a group of jars sitting together (72 room temp plus 3-4 degrees). As it is your first time, you will have no point of reference and therefore won't notice any difference :-).....You are placing waaay to much panic and emphasis on these items! Place your emphasis on working sterile! I might recommend the original rice method if you don't have a PC. It seems to have a reasonably acceptable level of sterilization with just steaming. Again, I can't imagine you are going to tell some huge difference in colonization speed by using rye flour and you are increasing your chances of contams if you use rye flour without a pressure cooker. Although I don't get down with the PF tek, It seems to be a very reliable method for newbies and I would recommend following the instructions on the site to a T for your first time as it was written by someone who has expirience in simple shroom cultivation. After that, you will have a lot more confidence.

For Premium prints and cultivation info check out www.thehawkseye.com

--------------------
All rhinos are endangered species...save the rhinos

Offlinephilistine4life
eater of shit
Re: 1st timer questions on sterilization- PLEASE READ! [Re: TrippinRhino]
    #420973 - 10/10/01 03:30 PM (22 years, 5 months ago)

fuck it, im just gonna use brown rice so i dont have to use a pressure cooker. but i still think that micron filter might be a damn good investment, what choo think? if i replace the lid with the filter i have to put them in a container to retain moisture right? does the container have to be translucent or not, does it have to be airtight? thanks

Offlinefahque
Stranger
    #421772 - 10/11/01 09:12 AM (22 years, 5 months ago)

Stick to the PF tek. @Psylocibe Fanaticus.com
Follow this to the letter. After you master this, deviate from it and experiment. This tek is tried and true. Until you have a feel for the cubies why risk failure? Keep it simple now, complicate it later! Peace-FU

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order