Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
Offlineegghead1
Nakedly Open

Loc: The Womb of Love
Living in the Moment
    #4203492 - 05/21/05 12:54 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Many people think that we should try to live in the present moment, but this is unwise for two reasons. Our brains cannot experience reality directly because everything has to be received and interpreted through the senses. So we live in the past, always a few seconds behind. We cannot experience the moment directly because it has passed before we can even comprehend it. Furthermore, moments are entire worlds of experience, immensely huge and complex. To live in the moment with our everyday mind would be almost impossible. It would risk making us nearly as frantic, busy, exhausted, and unconnected to the world around us as living in the past and the future do.

The place to live is not in the moment, but in the space between the moments, a place that holds a continual flow of wisdom and compassion. By connecting to the space between the moments you may start to experience what is, not what was. Wisdom is everywhere waiting to be received and used. But we only begin to understand wisdom when we are at our most humble, and we can only go beyond the moment into the space between we understand that the only thing separating the everyday world and the world of wisdom is a transparent curtain.

Think of a time in your life when you had nowhere and no one to turn to outside yourself.  In that state of not being able to cope, there is an internal dialog going on between the frightened everyday mind and your inner wisdom, which consist of nothing but itself. If in these situations you can enter the space between the moments and rest in the inner wisdom, you will find that your everyday mind allays its fears which allows it to start fresh. You really are all the wisdom you need.  :heart:

--------------------
All you need is Love! Really thats it! Infinite Unconditional Love! Just develop that and all else will fall into place perfectly!

Edited by egghead1 (05/21/05 02:37 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineegghead1
Nakedly Open

Re: Living in the Moment [Re: egghead1]
    #4203734 - 05/21/05 02:36 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Am i living in the past by bumping this post?  :confused: :lol:  :heart:

--------------------
All you need is Love! Really thats it! Infinite Unconditional Love! Just develop that and all else will fall into place perfectly!

OfflineDoom
Rogue

Loc: ghost-train city
    #4203739 - 05/21/05 02:38 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

*live in the space between moments*

Im sorry...what does this mean? could you provide instructions?

Offlineegghead1
Nakedly Open

Re: Living in the Moment [Re: Doom]
    #4203822 - 05/21/05 02:57 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Life is a series of moments which we obscure into this blur we call reality. Alot like pages in a picture booked when flicked through at speed, appear as a moving image, when really they are just indvidual frames. The space between the moments is just the empty space that encompasses all manifestions that takes place in our minds. It becomes very clear and obvious if we can observe the gap between one thought disolving and the next one manfesting.

The way to enter the space between the moments is quite simple. First make yourself comfrotable. Now look within, relax and  observe the arising and disolving of thoughts.  After someitme, when your observation becomes clearer and more mindful,  you may notice that there is a gap after the disolving of one thought, and the arising of the next. When you recongize that empty space, it becomes startlingly clear that this space is none other than your own being, your own nature. Resting in that state is living in the space between the moments.  :heart:

--------------------

OfflineDoom
Rogue

Loc: ghost-train city
    #4203849 - 05/21/05 03:05 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

so...basically you are suggesting that I *zone out* more often?

Offlineegghead1
Nakedly Open

Re: Living in the Moment [Re: Doom]
    #4203873 - 05/21/05 03:13 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Not at all! You can be observing your thoughts whilst washing the dishes, walking down the street, doing your finances, having sex, taking a shit,  anytime really, there is no restriction on observation. Im in no way am i suggesting that you sit down and zone out for a while, thats just stupid. Im suggesting that you give yourself the oppertunity to WAKE UP to your inner wisdom. :heart:

--------------------

Edited by egghead1 (05/21/05 03:21 PM)

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
    #4204007 - 05/21/05 03:43 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Someday I hope to live in the moment.  :laugh:

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

Offlineegghead1
Nakedly Open

Re: Living in the Moment [Re: Swami]
    #4204072 - 05/21/05 03:58 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Did you read the above post about why trying to live in the moment is unwise? Or did you only read the title of the thread and assume the rest?  :confused: :heart:

--------------------

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

#4204080 - 05/21/05 04:01 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Read?! A whole post with words and thoughts and stuff?  :rolleyes:

--------------------

Offlineegghead1
Nakedly Open

#4204089 - 05/21/05 04:03 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Yes, thats generally what happens on internet forums, people do actually read others posts, i hope  :crazy: :grin: :heart:

--------------------

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

#4204102 - 05/21/05 04:08 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

I was too busy contemplating the spaces BETWEEN the words.  :wink: :crazy: :cool:

--------------------

Offlineegghead1
Nakedly Open

#4204105 - 05/21/05 04:09 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

:lol: Ahh, some refreshing humour, i love you Swami  :heart:

--------------------

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

#4204125 - 05/21/05 04:15 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

And you are my one and only Egghead.  :heart: 

*Swami gags violently from the syrupy sentiment*

--------------------

Invisiblegettinjiggywithit
jiggy
Female User Gallery

Loc: Heart of Laughter
    #4204156 - 05/21/05 04:28 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Uh ohhhhhhh when swami reaches his syrupy limits and starts gagging, it's time to run for cover............. :projectile:

--------------------
Ahuwale ka nane huna.

Offlineegghead1
Nakedly Open

#4204170 - 05/21/05 04:31 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

My cabbage, my turnip, my radish, my Swami. Like a mobile phone with multiple rings, let me turn yours to eternal vibrate. You are my curvaceous canoodle, my slurpy noodle. Let us furrrow furiously the field of opportunity. Your beauteaous belly belies your bountiful brandishings of boomsened belongings. Sheep are no match to your wily ways, my lambkins. Even though they are pretty good. Especially the Dorsets, though their wool is not as fine as your average Merino. But of course with you I could dispense with the gum-boots. If you were the weety-bix I would be the milk. Let me soak into you slowly. Be open with me, as I am with you. Wide open my harbour, my refuge, my prison! My passions can only be quelled by that which is my quarry. You are the great expectation within which my curiosity shops. Read no more. Put down your mouse. Accept your destiny.  :heart:

--------------------

OfflineOldWoodSpecter
waiting
Male

Loc: mountains and lakes
    #4204177 - 05/21/05 04:35 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

all I know is that I feel disconnected from my surroundings when I'l living in the future. When walking around with something on my mind (like what I'm going to do tomorow, or where I'm currently going or etc.) all the surroundings: trees, light, sun, grass, streetlights, smell of air etc loses its magic and I get bored easily

But when going somewhere but not waiting to get there, but taking each step I make with enjoyment nad just trying to experience what is right here right now and combine it with imagination, then there is no other place I'd rather be than the one I'm right now.
And in those moments everything I experience is magical, and I'm having a great time by my self doing nothing and just watching and feeling. I think this is living in the moment.

It does not work when I am eager to get somewhere or am afraid of something that will happen soon

--------------------
I descend upon your earth from the skies
I command your very souls you unbelievers
Bring before me what is mine

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

#4204187 - 05/21/05 04:38 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Overload! Overload! No weety-bix. No weety-bix!  :blush:

Time to go pump some iron and smash some balls on the court.

*Swami turns off computer*

--------------------

Offlineegghead1
Nakedly Open

Re: Living in the Moment [Re: OldWoodSpecter]
    #4204303 - 05/21/05 05:29 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

My point is that we can never experience the present moment. The right now is always the just happened because our brains and senses are always out of sync with the actual present moment taking place. Trying to be present is atcually better than drifting because we are so caught up alot in dreaming of the past and future, but what you descirbed is not really being in the present "moment", its more like just being as present as you possibly can and enjoying that. But this is feeling of presence is always slightly in the past, slightly out of sync. Thats why being in the space between the moments trancends time, it goes beyond these concepts, whereas being present is still conceptual.  :heart:

Edited by egghead1 (05/21/05 05:35 PM)

OfflineOldWoodSpecter
waiting
Male

Loc: mountains and lakes
    #4204376 - 05/21/05 06:01 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

yea, we can't because there is no present moment.
We can only experience intervals.
For example we can only see 48 light flashes in one second, after that it starts being a movie. While you can detect film frames in cinema and see that it is not motion but a jerky motion made of 24 frames (well not everyone can see it, but a lot of people can), you certainly can't see that each of these frames is flashed twice.

And of course, even if our treshold for duration of light stimuli was lower, you could go on dividing time intervals into smaller and smaller units until you get to the time that is the duration one cycle of electromagnetic radiation and then after that you could no longer even say it is light.

dividing time even further leads you to infinity, because you can never reach zero, the current moment.

therefore "living in now" is only a metaphore

--------------------
I descend upon your earth from the skies
I command your very souls you unbelievers
Bring before me what is mine

Offlineegghead1
Nakedly Open

Re: Living in the Moment [Re: OldWoodSpecter]
    #4205865 - 05/22/05 03:55 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

So, can you see how "trying" to be in the present moment can brings its own set of problems and frustratrions because ultimatley its impossible? Granted, trying to live in the moment may be less frustrating than living in the past or the future, but its still conceptual, just another exhausting habit which nails us to the wheel of suffering (so to speak). But i can see that there may be some merit in it for two reasons.One if we are trying to be present, and we are relaxing with that, our brain and senses may have more time and space to interpet the information we are recieving, and thereofre we can see things as brigther, more colourful and more detailed, becuase we are allowing things to occur more, and are less caught up in more throughtly exhausting thougts processes about the past and the future. Two if we are "trying" to be present there is a better possibility of seeing into the futility of "trying", and discovering a certain sense of relaxed freedom from trying to control experiences and situations.As the infintley wise Yoda says "No try, Do or Do not".

Ultimatley to go beyond these conceptual experiences we must live in the space between the moments, and recognize the empty space between the thoughts, as this is where our inner wisdom and compassion lives. :heart:

--------------------

Edited by egghead1 (05/22/05 06:31 AM)

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom