Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Powder   Original Seeds Store Buy Cannabis Seeds, Buy CBD, Buy Elixinol   Amazon Agar, Autoclave, Hot Plate, Peat, Pressure Cooker, Spawn Bags, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinedumbsnake34
Crazy Dude
mass sterilization
    #4203899 - 05/21/05 05:21 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

So,

I have this issue. I would like to sterilize about 100 5-7 pound bags so that i can grow some spawn. I am getting into growing shiitakes and other legal mushrooms. I wish I could grow illegal ones, but I am in the US. Anyway, I only have a pressure cooker that can hold one (maybe 2) at a time. So... yeah. Is there a better way? I mean I know what an autoclave is, but I don't have one. Thanks for any help.

--------------------
mmmm, daydreaming

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisibleagar
old hand
 User Gallery

Loc: Somewhere Else
Trusted Cultivator
Re: mass sterilization [Re: dumbsnake34]
    #4204013 - 05/21/05 05:44 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Learn to walk, before you run.

Do a few spawn bags, incubate, spawn to substrate in trays, incubate, case, fruit out & harvest.

100 spawn bags will do you NO GOOD, unless you know how to use them & have the means.

--------------------

OfflineJuan_del_Pueblo
Mr.Papashroom
 User Gallery

Re: mass sterilization [Re: agar]
    #4204195 - 05/21/05 06:45 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Nice pic. A little more info helps also bro. Do you have the money to buy all the proper equipment,space to grow, dry and so on...

--------------------
Don't I look like I'm serious...

Offlinedumbsnake34
Crazy Dude
Re: mass sterilization [Re: agar]
    #4204354 - 05/21/05 07:49 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

I appreciate your honest concern in terms of my competence, but I do know how to use the grow bags. I have used them before to generate up to 3rd generation spawn with G2G transfers. It is just that in the past I had done 1 pound bags which I used to spawn a 5 pound bag each. Then once those 5 pound bags fully grew, I would use those to do 5 seperate 5 pound bags of grains. I would have spawned at 10:1, but I don't have clean air. Suprizingly, contams haven't been a problem yet. I basically know how to walk and run dude, but my problem is that I don't have an autoclave. I was hoping there is some way to sterilize without one. I was thinking maybe the oven could be used or something. Th bags I want to use are ones that I will baming on my own with self healing injector sites for the first generation and the rest I will use by opening the top up and doing grain to grain. I have fruited before. Last time I spawned the third generation grain to sawdust at about 7:1 and csed with a peat, chalk, lime, verm mix. Fruited wonderfully. As I said, my problem is that I can't really think of a more efficient way to sterilize all those bags. Thanks for the help. As a newbie, I appreciate anything you might know. Thanks.

--------------------
mmmm, daydreaming

Invisibleagar
old hand
 User Gallery

Loc: Somewhere Else
Trusted Cultivator
    #4204617 - 05/21/05 10:00 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

I only said the "walk first" thing because you are asking the type question you did. If you are "running" you would/should know the answer - that an oven cannot be used to sterilize spawn bags.

Fair size autoclaves that will hold a half dozen big bags - don't come cheap. Ones that will hold several dozen bags are even more expensive. That is the hang up, if you don't have the means, as there is no other safe / sure way to do bags. Except one or 2 at a time in a PC.

Even a AA 941 sterilizer will only hold 5 or 6 & that's jamming them in..tight.

--------------------

OfflineHippieChick
Chicks can do it too!
Female User Gallery

Loc: Midwest
Trusted Cultivator
    #4205010 - 05/22/05 12:03 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Hey, agar is Mr. Dude btw, lol. Let's show a little respect where it is due.
Peace,Love,Happiness and Harmony.
:heart: Hippie Chick  :mushroom2:

--------------------
Peace,Love and Happiness
:heart: HC :mushroom2:

Freedoms just another word for nothing left to lose..............

I LUV My Greenhouse
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/5545848#5545848

My First Pans
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/6212058#6212058

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Powder   Original Seeds Store Buy Cannabis Seeds, Buy CBD, Buy Elixinol   Amazon Agar, Autoclave, Hot Plate, Peat, Pressure Cooker, Spawn Bags, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation