Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
Lake Mead vs. The Venetian
    #4201966 - 05/21/05 12:12 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

My best bud, Todd, came in from California last weekend. He is an upper middle class, 5 star hotel kind of guy. I picked him up at the airport and drove him to Redstone, an amazing red sandstone formation some 50 miles from Las Vegas. (I will post pics in a week or so.) It is an amazingly magical place. I commented to him that I was glad it was fairly remote else it would be ruined by human hands. As I said that, I saw graffiti sprayed on the cliffs and got nauseous. Why are people so blind and selfish?

Though it was a perfect day and blissfully quiet, he was anxious to get back to the hotel pool. I practically had to drag him to another favorite spot of mine. It was a mildly strenuous two mile hike over harsh terrain to a secluded and beautiful spot on the lake. I was in heaven. Deep blue water, surrounded by majestic mountains and magnificent desert. The water was a perfect 73 degrees and the air was in the low 80s with a gentle breeze. This was as close to heaven as I could get. I said to Todd, "Here is my pool. 100 square miles of nature with no one else around. How can this compare to any man-made pool?" We swam out to a jetty and back and I felt totally alive for a change, but I could still feel the pressure from him to leave.
As I looked around, I thought of ownership and possession. Today, this wondrous place was mine and I drank deeply of her essence. To celebrate our hike and swim, I brought out some chilled watermelon. "This isn't very sweet," Todd commented. "It is the best watermelon out here, " I retorted trying to get him in an appreciative mood.

Heading back to the over-crowded, noisy and angry city, I saw a bird with a long tail high above. WTF? It was an eagle (or very large hawk) with a big rattlesnake in it's talons a thousand feet high. Wow! (Hue: you can tell us the shamanic significance of this sighting!)

After we arrived at the Venetian Hotel and checked in, we headed down to the pool. It was packed so densely, it was almost impossible to move. I was surrounded by "the beautiful people"; the wealthy elite. There were no overweight people nor flat-chested women in view. The external was of prime importance. Most everyone seemed to be posing for everyone else. I thought, "How can this building compare to my cliffs? How can this tiny chlorinated pool compare to the freedom of unlimited expanse of water?" Even the sky was hemmed in by towers all around.

Lest I sound too judgmental, that is not the way I felt. It was more of a sadness as to what so many people are missing.

Peace,

Your Swam

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleZero7a1
Leaving YourWasteland

Loc: Passing Cloud
Re: Lake Mead vs. The Venetian [Re: Swami]
    #4201993 - 05/21/05 12:29 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Yeah, im with you on this one, id rather take the lake :wink:  :thumbup:

OfflineJacquesCousteau
Being.
Male User Gallery

Loc: Everywhere, Everytime.
    #4202610 - 05/21/05 06:19 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Curious: Did your friend express any degree of regret for the difference in atmosphere? Even so much as an exchange of glances?

Because... damn... sounds like that guy IS one of the beautiful elite...

Offlinenewjon
Stranger
Re: Lake Mead vs. The Venetian [Re: JacquesCousteau]
    #4202645 - 05/21/05 06:46 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

woo, doh, maybe i'd have given you the full 5 shroom rating if i'd read this first...that'll teach me to rush in, eh?
well, maybe not, i'm only human after all.
i agree about the ownership and "beautiful people". Of course, that's not to say everyone who looks "ugly" on the outside is beautiful on the inside - my personal experience is, everyone has the capacity to be a nasty piece of work.
The funny thing is, those people who devote their lives to money and looking "beautiful" on the outside are rarely happy, at least deep down. Not to mention, the media these days has helped to warp many peoples' perceptions of looks. I see women that blatantly think themselves beautiful, but to me, from nearby, i can see the cracks. The makeup, the desperate attempts to "fit in" with everyone else. They always look better when they're relaxed and being themselves. Not impossible to find people in this state, of course, just more difficult than finding the people who haven't figured it out yet

Invisibleniteowl
GrandPaw
Male User Gallery

Loc: Flag
Re: Lake Mead vs. The Venetian [Re: newjon]
    #4202758 - 05/21/05 08:42 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

I'll go to the lake w/you Swami  :headbang:

InvisibleIcelander
The Minstrel in the Gallery
Male

Loc: underbelly
    #4202835 - 05/21/05 09:24 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Most everyone seemed to be posing for everyone else. I thought, "How can this building compare to my cliffs? How can this tiny chlorinated pool compare to the freedom of unlimited expanse of water?" Even the sky was hemmed in by towers all around.

Lest I sound too judgmental, that is not the way I felt. It was more of a sadness as to what so many people are missing.

Peace,

Your Swam
I get you real good Swami. I have spent so much time walking in the desert. People think I'm crazy to want to be alone out there for so such long periods of time. When I'm there the earth is in balance and it belongs to me and I to it. I can finlly quit trying and just be. Health is a natural result.

I would love to hike that path with you sometime. And maybe the powerplants then. Yes! :heart: :mushroom2:

--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

OfflineAdviapacis
Revisiting

Loc: South Park, CO
    #4203130 - 05/21/05 11:30 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Swami said:
How can this compare to any man-made pool?

How can a man made lake compare to a man made pool?  They both needed a lot of concrete to make them. :smirk:

--------------------
Respect my authority!

InvisibleLunarEclipse
Enlil's Official Story
Male User Gallery

Loc: Building 7
Re: Lake Mead vs. The Venetian [Re: Adviapacis]
    #4203275 - 05/21/05 12:03 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Dam good point.

--------------------
Anxiety is what you make it.

Edited by LunarEclipse (05/21/05 12:04 PM)

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Fading Slowly
Male User Gallery

Loc: On the Border
Re: Lake Mead vs. The Venetian [Re: LunarEclipse]
    #4203531 - 05/21/05 01:06 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

"Hue: you can tell us the shamanic significance of this sighting!"

Come on, you should know all visions are completely personal and therefore subjective. The symbol sounds Aztec or Mayan. The Aztecs built Tenochtitlan (The Heart of the One World) after spotting an eagle with a rattlesnake perched on a nopali (prickly pear) cactus. Check out the flag below. For what it is worth, I would choose the lake anyday. It is a good thing that Vegas borders on the wilderness...otherwise there would be no escaping the insanity of status and possesion in it's most blatant form.

Edited by Huehuecoyotl (05/21/05 01:16 PM)

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Re: Lake Mead vs. The Venetian [Re: Adviapacis]
    #4203555 - 05/21/05 01:17 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

How can a man made lake compare to a man made pool? They both needed a lot of concrete to make them.

You are right, of course! I will now commit my life to destroying the dam and will never go back to the pristine lake. Thanks for peeling the scales from my eyes. You get five shrooms for pointing out my hypocrisy.

Seriouly though, flooded canyons occur naturally all over the west. The lake is alive with fish, birds and plants and there is no apparent evidence of man's hand except for the dam. As the area was previously the near-barren remnants of a giant volcano, the water is an improvement and has greatly increased the wild life population.

--------------------

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

#4205318 - 05/21/05 11:39 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

More irony was when my buddy and friends went to the new Wynn Hotel. One of the exclusive lounges was outside and had a completely fake "natural" setting with 200 foot high cliffs, plastic trees and waterfalls. Hell, I could just drive up to Mt. Charleston...

--------------------

InvisibleZero7a1
Leaving YourWasteland

Loc: Passing Cloud
    #4205330 - 05/21/05 11:41 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

You should have gone rock climbing, i wonder what they would have done! LOL.

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Fading Slowly
Male User Gallery

#4205436 - 05/22/05 12:00 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

That is very sad. If I am in a commercial setting synthetic appearances are much more clean and modern....leave the nature scene to truly natural settings.

--------------------
"A warrior is a hunter. He calculates everything. That's control. Once his calculations are over, he acts. He lets go. That's abandon. A warrior is not a leaf at the mercy of the wind. No one can push him; no one can make him do things against himself or against his better judgment. A warrior is tuned to survive, and he survives in the best of all possible fashions." ― Carlos Castaneda

InvisibleSkorpivoMusterion
Livin in theTwilight Zone...
 User Gallery

Loc: You can't spell fungus wi...
    #4205449 - 05/22/05 12:03 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

It sounds like you knew what you were getting yourself into, as you knew of your friend's "different" tendencies, I'm sure.

Well I respect the bravery you posessesed to be able to take such a risk.

Personally, I would've gone solo. But that's just me... a natural lone wolf.

--------------------
Coffee should be black as hell, strong as death, and sweet as love.

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Fading Slowly
Male User Gallery

Re: Lake Mead vs. The Venetian [Re: SkorpivoMusterion]
    #4205463 - 05/22/05 12:07 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

My only true friend (I only have one and he is an ornery son of a bitch) tends to share my likes and dislikes. This makes our association much more relaxed. Everyone else is an "aquaintance".

--------------------
"A warrior is a hunter. He calculates everything. That's control. Once his calculations are over, he acts. He lets go. That's abandon. A warrior is not a leaf at the mercy of the wind. No one can push him; no one can make him do things against himself or against his better judgment. A warrior is tuned to survive, and he survives in the best of all possible fashions." ― Carlos Castaneda

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Re: Lake Mead vs. The Venetian [Re: Huehuecoyotl]
    #4205472 - 05/22/05 12:10 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Am still awaiting your analysis off the eagle/snake omen. And don't tell me the eagle was hungry!

--------------------

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Fading Slowly
Male User Gallery

#4205477 - 05/22/05 12:12 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Check page one...I put it there. You must have missed it.

--------------------

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Fading Slowly
Male User Gallery

#4205489 - 05/22/05 12:15 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

In light of traditional meso-american culture I would guess that you should found a large city on that spot and dedicate it to human sacrifice.....just an offhand guess...

--------------------

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

#4205545 - 05/22/05 12:26 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

I missed it cuz you posted as I was responding to Lunar Eclipse. Didn't think anyone could type as fast as me - heh!

--------------------

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Fading Slowly
Male User Gallery

#4205561 - 05/22/05 12:29 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

I am a codemonkey.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder