Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Agar

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflinemickyJ
Benkenobi

Loc: Europe @ the droid harves...
Takin Spore Prints while hunting....
    #4202075 - 05/21/05 03:00 AM (11 years, 6 months ago)

I hope this question isnt too newb for all of yous or hasnt been asked heaps of times b4, i couldtn find any info on it so thought id ask you enlighted lot.

I have been a hunter for some yrs now but never even considered growin them myself, just assumed it to be way too hard, but after spendin a week readin all the FAQs on this site and other posts i think i am up for the challenge.
What i was wondering is how do i take a good spore print (to later on create a syringe) while collectin and to ensure it dosent get contaminated? In all the FAQs they talk about takin a cap off a shroom but this is from a previous cultivated shroom not a wild one and hence are in a very sterile location. Also i have some 2.5hrs travel each way from where i live to collectin them if this will make any difference.
I was thinkin maybe just try to dig a specimen up with the soil and bring it back so it didnt start to die and loose its spores prematurely???
Also would the mushroom in the wild not be covered with other bacteria, how would u go about cleanin the mushroom b4 makin the print.

Apologise agian for the newbness...

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflinemotamanM
old hand
 User Gallery
Re: Takin Spore Prints while hunting.... [Re: mickyJ]
    #4202224 - 05/21/05 04:04 AM (11 years, 6 months ago)

You wont get a wild print 100% contaminate free.. you need to isolate with agar or something that you can clone or transfer clean up the mycelium to weed out anything but non conaminate mycelium..Although you can get lucky and get fruits sporulate and then use the spores to start a multispore insdores. But you are best offstarting with cloning with agar and then isolating to keep the uptmost strain positive integrety.

--------------------
http://heffter.org

Offlineiamgod
just some dudesome where

Loc: Crooklyn, New York
Re: Takin Spore Prints while hunting.... [Re: motaman]
    #4202643 - 05/21/05 08:45 AM (11 years, 6 months ago)

You can try looking for a mushroom with it's veil still intact and try to get a clean print from that. Or maybe try a Karo jar using the fleshy center from a young mushroom. I'm not sure how hard that would be for you to do. Good luck. Motaman's post is kinda intimidating sounding and hard to read.

--------------------
If what you seek is truth then drugs can not offer truth. Drugs can offer the truth of drugs.......Altered states. Truth is not an altered state of mind. ~ Big Headed Nice Guy Who Loves You And Your Dog

http://www.inlibertyandfreedom.com/Flash/Think_It_Over.swf

Offlinenetphax
mushroom n00b
Loc: Bothell, WA
    #4203639 - 05/21/05 03:50 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

also, if you're looking to take a print on the way home or on a drive to the next field...try this

1. place a piece of paper into the bottom of your vehicals your cupholder
2. place the cap of the mushroom on it
3. place a cup upsidedown in the cupholder

its worked for me...then by the time you get home you're all ready to post your findings here :wink:

--------------------
---------------------
Thanks,
Matt Albertson
www.MattAlbertson.com

OfflinemickyJ
Benkenobi

Loc: Europe @ the droid harves...
Re: Takin Spore Prints while hunting.... [Re: netphax]
    #4205049 - 05/22/05 12:15 AM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Great Thanks for ya help ppl,

I skiped over the Agar section in the faqs so dunno what it is all about but ill go have a read now.

Iamgod, if i get one with the viel intact will it open up after it has been picked or will i have to give the mushroom a cleanin and then open the viel manually do u think?

netphax, is that method with the cup holders primarly for identification purposes or also can be used with some degree of % to make a culture?

Thanku

--------------------
Old Ben

I beleive that my job in mappin the impulse pathways of a single neuron can allow us to open a mecca into the quailitative functions of the human geno...

Please support your local free spore ring by sendin back prints from successful grows, FSRE

Offlinenetphax
mushroom n00b
Loc: Bothell, WA
    #4205339 - 05/22/05 01:42 AM (11 years, 6 months ago)

i've only used it for spore color id's (i've never attempted cultavation of a wild strain)...but who knows...it may work for ya :wink:

good luck

--------------------
---------------------
Thanks,
Matt Albertson
www.MattAlbertson.com

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Agar

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification