Home | Community | Message Board

Myco Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Rye Grain, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleZestyMycelium
journeyman
 User Gallery
Do Spores Take Longer To Colonize Whole Cooked Brown Rice?
    #4197485 - 05/19/05 11:02 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Having had great success with BRF/Vermiculite cakes in the past, I decided to step up to whole grains via whole, cooked brown rice as described in the 9er tek. Well, its day 5 and not a trace of colonization. I know its a little too early to worry but my BRF cakes always had *something* going on by now.

Incubator is perfect, 80 - 85 degrees.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Zesty

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleHolydiver
Stranger
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: The midnight sea
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Do Spores Take Longer To Colonize Whole Cooked Brown Rice? [Re: ZestyMycelium]
    #4197489 - 05/19/05 11:04 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Spores will germinate on whole grain rice just as fast as any other substrate. Colonization is fast as well. How much spore solution did you use per hole?

--------------------
To find a place to live between the negatives and positives.

InvisibleZestyMycelium
journeyman
 User Gallery
Re: Do Spores Take Longer To Colonize Whole Cooked Brown Rice? [Re: Holydiver]
    #4197490 - 05/19/05 11:05 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Plenty - About 2cc's per jar.

InvisibleHolydiver
Stranger
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Do Spores Take Longer To Colonize Whole Cooked Brown Rice? [Re: ZestyMycelium]
    #4197493 - 05/19/05 11:06 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

I'd say wait it out then. Moisture is a factor here too. Substrate that's too wet or dry can definitely hamper germination times.

InvisibleZestyMycelium
journeyman
 User Gallery
    #4197505 - 05/19/05 11:12 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Hmmm...you may be right. Its the first time Ive used whole grains so I was kind of guessing at the water content. Even though I followed the recipe exactly, the rice was kind of mushy after cooking. Not waterlogged though. I threw in a little vermiculite just to break it up so it wouldnt stick together. Seemed fine going in the jar - loosely packed with plenty of aeration.

PC'd for 60min at 15psi w/taped holes, inoculated in a glove box. I dont have any contams yet either, so at least that's good thing.:)

How long before I dump them and start over? Im tempted to make up a dozen BRF/Verm jars for a backup incase I screwed things up...

Edited by ZestyMycelium (05/19/05 11:16 PM)

InvisibleHolydiver
Stranger
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
    #4197519 - 05/19/05 11:18 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Yeah, it's really tricky like that. It took me several tries with whole grain rice to get the moisture content down. I have to use a diffuser plate to get the simmer super low, otherwise the lowest setting on most stoves will cook the rice into a mush after 50 minutes. There's no need to add verm. The rice is loaded into the jars and it forms one immobile block (it's not shakeable, like WBS/RYE) When done properly, there is plenty of space and crevices for mycelium to work around and grow through. If it appears really mushy, you might want to start over. I'm suggesting this because rice is really easy to screw up, and I blew a lot of jars early on with mushy rice. It's not worth waiting around for mushy jars.

Desired texture:

--------------------

InvisibleZestyMycelium
journeyman
 User Gallery
    #4197608 - 05/19/05 11:41 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Ah, I was taking extra care to make sure the rice *was* shakable. Check out these pics:

You can see where the rice was loosely packed and some of the dry vermiculite filter layer leaked down the sides...The top pic has no vermiculite and is packed full(just the filter layer), and looks similar to your jars, but still no colonization!

Edited by ZestyMycelium (05/19/05 11:45 PM)

InvisibleStonerguy
I smoke penis
Male

Loc: Lost
    #4197618 - 05/19/05 11:45 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Diver instead of cooking it can I steam cook my rice? I have a rice steamer and that would probably help with keeping in check with the moister control.

--------------------
yawn...
SG

InvisibleHolydiver
Stranger
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Do Spores Take Longer To Colonize Whole Cooked Brown Rice? [Re: Stonerguy]
    #4197630 - 05/19/05 11:50 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Never tried that Stonerguy, but always wondered how a rice steamer would do the job. Try it and let us know.

--------------------

InvisibleZestyMycelium
journeyman
 User Gallery
    #4197642 - 05/19/05 11:53 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

What do you think of the jars Diver? I havent grown in a couple of years - I should have started with BRF cakes just to get going on the right foot:)

Thanks for answering my questions, BTW!

Zesty

InvisibleHolydiver
Stranger
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
    #4197649 - 05/19/05 11:55 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

They look ok Zesty, top one might be a bit mushy. Overall though, looks fine from here.

--------------------

InvisibleZestyMycelium
journeyman
 User Gallery
    #4197700 - 05/20/05 12:13 AM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Hmmm...maybe Im just being a little anxious:)  I made the syringes off of prints from my last grow, they were a couple years old.  Maybe the spores just need time to wake up:)

Im sure taking them out and checking them everyday isnt helping either :tongue:

Thanks!
Zesty

Edited by ZestyMycelium (05/20/05 12:15 AM)

Offlineblackout
Microwaver
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #4198254 - 05/20/05 04:15 AM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Diver said:
It took me several tries with whole grain rice to get the moisture content down.

Do you know what moisture content you ended up using? you can weigh the cooked rice to determine how much water was added. The 9er tek calls for 1 1/2 cup water to 1 cup rice. I used this but it seems a little moist. I have heard others using a 1/1 ratio, volumewise, I prefer to deal in weights though.

--------------------
support the free spore ring http://fsre.nl/

InvisibleZestyMycelium
journeyman
 User Gallery
Re: Do Spores Take Longer To Colonize Whole Cooked Brown Rice? [Re: blackout]
    #4201558 - 05/21/05 12:11 AM (11 years, 6 months ago)

just found this in one of the grow guides:

Quote:

Psilocybe cubensis spores begin to degrade a few months after they are taken. After approximately 1 1/2 years, spore germination will be greatly reduced or won't occur at all. Germination is massive and quick when the spores are fresh.

My prints are about 2 years old...maybe I just need to be patient, or make some really dark syringes:)

Im starting another 10 BRF jars as a backup just to be sure. If these dont colonize, then Ill know its my spores.

Zesty

InvisibleZestyMycelium
journeyman
 User Gallery
    #4204581 - 05/21/05 09:42 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Well...I looked in the incubator today and the jars I inoculated last week have mycelium starting to take off!!! Sweet - I guess I just needed to be patient.

Offlinekeith813
living in the70s
    #4205946 - 05/22/05 08:48 AM (11 years, 6 months ago)

yeh mine were just like yours, was day 5 and no signs of mycelium then the next day, WOW 4 of they jars had spots of mycelium all over, nows is about day 7 and all 6 of my jars have started colonizing probably about 30% colonized.

(using PFTEK with AUSSIE strand) :smile:

--------------------
whats the difference between sweat and spit?

InvisibleZestyMycelium
journeyman
 User Gallery
Re: Do Spores Take Longer To Colonize Whole Cooked Brown Rice? [Re: keith813]
    #4221578 - 05/26/05 08:36 AM (11 years, 6 months ago)

hmmmm...Im really questioning my spores now. I made 10 BRF jars about 4 days ago, inoculated them with a good amount of spore water, and no trace of colonization in an 83 degree incubator. I know the substrate is fine, should see at least some signs by now. In my other jars(whole grain), about 4 have started (out of 15). The growth looks very fluffy white and rhizomorphic - but it only sporadic - not at all the injection sites.

One good thing - I've got a total of 25 jars and not one is contaminated! So the new glovebox I made works real well!!!:)

I thought a print was good for up to 5 years? Mine are about 2 years old...If I dont see any colonization in the BRF jars by day 7, Im going to re-PC them, and make a syringe out of an entire print. If that dosent work well, then I guess Im off to Ralphster:)

Zesty

Invisibleyousuck
Stranger

#4222052 - 05/26/05 12:38 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

it helps colonization with BR cakes if you turn the jar upside down and slap it against your hand so the cake unsticks from the bottom of the jar, then just leave it upsidedown so the cake has more room to colonize.

InvisibleZestyMycelium
journeyman
 User Gallery
Re: Do Spores Take Longer To Colonize Whole Cooked Brown Rice? [Re: yousuck]
    #4223964 - 05/26/05 09:09 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Thanks for the tip - but these guys arent even started yet. I do have some growth, and it looks strong - but nowhere near where it should be. Ill give the BRF jars another few days.

I havent grown in a while, but Im using the exact same process I used before (although this time using a glove box and PC rather than the oven tek and boiling) - always had rampant colonization by the middle of the 2nd week.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Rye Grain, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation