Home | Community | Message Board

Myco Supply
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Music, Art, and Media

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
My Own God

Loc: Canada West
A question for Charlie Kaufman
    #4197381 - 05/19/05 10:25 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Dear Mr. Kaufman

Thank you for creating. I have been a fan since before I knew your name. I recently had the immense pleasure of watching Eternal Sunshine. After having seen it a good thirty times now (my roommate says I'm obsessed) I have one pressing question.

Is the relationship that Joel reignites with Clementine a product of his imagination? There are a couple of clues that make me wonder this. Firstly, the picture of Clementine as a skeleton in a bottle is only glanced at during the erasing, with Joel saying "not the picture, not the picture." He later 'finds' the picture.

Also, during the bookstore scene, Clementine gives a speech about not being a "concept," which Joel claims to remember very well. (This scene ends with Clementine urging Joel to try his best to remember her) In the last scene in the hallway of Joel's apartment, Clementine reiterates a shortened version of this speech.

Not to mention the ambiguity of having the movies fade out with a memory looping.

I would like to believe that the picture is rediscovered in the file sent by Mary Svevo. I would like to believe that Clementine has a habit, or predisposition, etc., to let her intentions be known early in a relationship. I would like to believe you are capable of writing a happy ending, but I just need to know.

-recalcitrant in reCalgary

We have to answer our own prayers

Edited by recalcitrant (05/19/05 10:27 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
 User Gallery Arcade Champion: BMX Tricks
Re: A question for Charlie Kaufman [Re: recalcitrant]
    #4198337 - 05/20/05 05:11 AM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Kaufman is my favorite screenwriter right now.... Adaptation and Being John Malkovich are his best works...especially Adaptation....

watch that movie about 3 times through and it will dawn on you that he has doen something no one has ever done before: melded the past present and future in the most ridiculous way. The movie has nothing to do with orchids and everything to with how he wrote the screenplay.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Music, Art, and Media