Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineDoom
Rogue

Loc: ghost-train city
the truth
    #4195206 - 05/19/05 11:55 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Truth is, if you really want to make the world a better place, you need to be an engineer.

Even worse, if you really want to save the lives of the innocent, the most concrete route for you is a career in weapons engineering. That's right. Do you know how many thousands of people die because of ineffectual missile guidance systems? yes, they are getting better, but they are still far from perfect.

Imagine this, a missile that pinpointed its target 100% of the time. No more bombed out orphanages or families destroyed and sons inspired to be future shock fundamentalist terrorists.

Nope, just pinpointed communication assassinations. Control towers. Chemical power sources. You could perfectly orchestrate a war on your enemies technology and never have to shed blood.

and when it comes to a ground war? zero-side effect blankets of sleeping gas. Put a whole city to sleep and silently strip them of their weapons.

So you go on and protest while the children*s bodies get pulled apart by explosions of metallic violence, me...I'm designing a ray-gun that flashes images of the virgin Mary in mine enemies minds.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineplexus
holding thelight of athousand candles

Loc: texas
Re: the truth [Re: Doom]
    #4195277 - 05/19/05 12:07 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

or we could all be artists and farmers and sleep under the stars and walk everywhere and love out neighbors.

thats a grim truth you got.

--------------------
that there, thats not me. :noway:
i go where i please. :yesnod:
im not here.:shake:
this isnt happening.:nonono:

OfflineDoom
Rogue

Re: the truth [Re: plexus]
    #4195364 - 05/19/05 12:21 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

plexus said:
or we could all be artists and farmers and sleep under the stars and walk everywhere and love out neighbors.

thats a grim truth you got.

yeah see....I was sort of talking about reality...thats why it may seem a tad *grim* as you put it. We couldnt all be farmers or artists, not gonna happen, not in this lifetime. So you might as well get your head out of the clouds and pick up the latest defense industry trade papers and start studying...

thats if you have any sense of compassion or empathy, or a better plan.

Edited by Doom (05/19/05 01:48 PM)

OfflineAlan Stone
Corpus

Loc: Ten feet up
    #4196184 - 05/19/05 03:00 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Nope, just pinpointed communication assassinations. Control towers. Chemical power sources. You could perfectly orchestrate a war on your enemies technology and never have to shed blood.

Do you think, being realistic, that wars destroying only technology are what leaders want? Would they achieve the same effects as wars nowadays do? If no one is killed in a war, the impact will not by far be as large.

--------------------
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

- Aristotle

OfflineDoom
Rogue

Re: the truth [Re: Alan Stone]
    #4196201 - 05/19/05 03:04 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

leaders want control, not chaos. Having Iraqis hate you and lust for your destruction isnt good for business. The US could have stuck with their garbage cold-war era missiles but they spent billions on new, more accurate missiles, so I have come to the conclusion that yes, they do want more accurate missiles. I truly believe they do want revolution from above, and to win the hearts and minds of the defeated. Who wouldnt?

Offlinenewjon
Stranger
    #4196334 - 05/19/05 03:29 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

you are making two big assumptions in your grim take on "reality"
1) you're assuming that those people who choose the targets are well-placed to judge who is innocent, and who is not. Anyway, innocent (or guilty) of what? you can prove anything, if you give a vague enough argument
2) you're also assuming that those who choose the targets will always CHOOSE to target those they deem "guilty". Which implies they will always have some aim of achieving justice as their main priority. Which i suspect is bullsh*t when it comes to any country's military. They'll be looking after that particular country's interests first and foremost, unless they're corrupted enough to place their own interests even ahead of that.

You're also ignoring, for example, the people who get involved in the massive-scale vaccination projects that go on all over the world. It may not be a specific person that you can say "because of this one person, xx amount of lives were saved" but it's stupid to ignore the much greater achievements we can make when we work together.
All the most remarkable, most longstanding monuments in the world have been built by more than one person.
Countries may be ruled, but with just a ruler and no people, they're not really a country.
And that's jsut for starters...it's late, i'm tired and i've had some wine, so i can't be bothered to go dig up specific stories, or further examples. But basically, if you want to see the worst in thigns, you'll see the worst, and no-one'll change your mind until you want to see better things.

OfflineJacquesCousteau
Being.
Male User Gallery

Loc: Everywhere, Everytime.
Re: the truth [Re: newjon]
    #4196415 - 05/19/05 03:44 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

newjon said:But basically, if you want to see the worst in thigns, you'll see the worst, and no-one'll change your mind until you want to see better things.

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :heart: :heart: :heart:

Invisiblegettinjiggywithit
jiggy
Female User Gallery

Loc: Heart of Laughter
Re: the truth [Re: newjon]
    #4196424 - 05/19/05 03:46 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

hahahaha,

You guys are funny pointing out his grim take on reality when he chose the user name of DOOM.

I think he finds that energy exciting.

--------------------
Ahuwale ka nane huna.

OfflineJacquesCousteau
Being.
Male User Gallery

Re: the truth [Re: gettinjiggywithit]
    #4196472 - 05/19/05 03:55 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

True enough. I hope he does enjoy it, because otherwise he's creating his own prison.

jiggy
Female User Gallery

Re: the truth [Re: JacquesCousteau]
    #4196489 - 05/19/05 03:59 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Let him spiral his way down into a hellish pit. Just don't get sucked down into it with him.

Is his name and are his grim antogonists posts a cry for help to spiral out????????

Maybe.

To often, I found in the past when I put my hand out to one in a pit, I just got yanked down in with them. Now, I throw them a line, tie it off to the nearest tree and run away......fast. If they want out, they'll use the rope.

--------------------
Ahuwale ka nane huna.

OfflineJacquesCousteau
Being.
Male User Gallery

#4196501 - 05/19/05 04:02 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Haha... yeah, I know exactly what you mean. I never put it into words before, but that does it nicely.

InvisibleIcelander
The Minstrel in the Gallery
Male

Loc: underbelly
    #4196510 - 05/19/05 04:05 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

:thumbup: :thumbup: :heart:

--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

Invisiblevampirism
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#4196559 - 05/19/05 04:20 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

heh. Yes, the truth be told, if you bend over backwards and become your leader's bitch, everybody is saved! Hoorah!

You DO realize that for any such technological system, there will be a defense system developed against it, yes?

Step 1) Make super accurate death weapon
Step 2) Make counter to new counter to super accurate death weapon
Step 3) Go to Step 1

OfflineOldWoodSpecter
waiting
Male

Loc: mountains and lakes
    #4196684 - 05/19/05 05:10 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Doom said:
Truth is, if you really want to make the world a better place, you need to be an engineer.

Even worse, if you really want to save the lives of the innocent, the most concrete route for you is a career in weapons engineering. That's right. Do you know how many thousands of people die because of ineffectual missile guidance systems? yes, they are getting better, but they are still far from perfect.

Imagine this, a missile that pinpointed its target 100% of the time. No more bombed out orphanages or families destroyed and sons inspired to be future shock fundamentalist terrorists.

and when it comes to a ground war? zero-side effect blankets of sleeping gas. Put a whole city to sleep and silently strip them of their weapons.

So you go on and protest while the children*s bodies get pulled apart by explosions of metallic violence, me...I'm designing a ray-gun that flashes images of the virgin Mary in mine enemies minds.

That will not save people who were ment to be killed.

14 years ago, in the Croatian Serbian war, an order was given to a serbian pilot to bombard a neighbourhood in my city (Croatia) where certain kind of people mostly built houses mostly (rich people) He didn't want to kill civilians, so he droped the bomb in the middle of a nearby football (socker) stadium, so nobody god hurt exept some grass. He later toled his superiors that he missed (the stadium was pretty close to that neighborhood)

In order to save lives, you'd have to be like that pilot

In every war civilians get killed because wars are often emotionally driven

--------------------
I descend upon your earth from the skies
I command your very souls you unbelievers
Bring before me what is mine

OfflineDoom
Rogue

#4199684 - 05/20/05 01:33 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

gettinjiggywithit said:
Let him spiral his way down into a hellish pit. Just don't get sucked down into it with him.

Is his name and are his grim antogonists posts a cry for help to spiral out????????

Maybe.

To often, I found in the past when I put my hand out to one in a pit, I just got yanked down in with them. Now, I throw them a line, tie it off to the nearest tree and run away......fast. If they want out, they'll use the rope.

oh god...you are so pretentious it makes me embarrassed just to read your posts.

OfflineDoom
Rogue

Re: the truth [Re: OldWoodSpecter]
    #4199714 - 05/20/05 01:37 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

OldWoodSpecter said:
Quote:

Doom said:

That will not save people who were ment to be killed.

14 years ago, in the Croatian Serbian war, an order was given to a serbian pilot to bombard a neighbourhood in my city (Croatia) where certain kind of people mostly built houses mostly (rich people) He didn't want to kill civilians, so he droped the bomb in the middle of a nearby football (socker) stadium, so nobody god hurt exept some grass. He later toled his superiors that he missed (the stadium was pretty close to that neighborhood)

In order to save lives, you'd have to be like that pilot

In every war civilians get killed because wars are often emotionally driven

okay, but the point of that war was genocide was it not? or at least it had genocidal undertones. I am talking about economic and ideoligical wars where the local populous is intended to be as future ally.

anyways...I guess my point is easily missed. There are very few vocations where your toils will bear a definite, mathematical humanity, but weapons engineering is one of those few.

jiggy
Female User Gallery

#4199920 - 05/20/05 02:14 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

If you feel embarrassed for antagonizing people or having a grim outlook and don't like the feeling then quit doing it.

It's pretty simple really.

Cause and effect. 

DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM

Exactly what is the message you are wanting to send with that user name and avatar anyway?

You love playing the grim reaper, don't ya huh huh come on admit it.;) It's a valid role. Muhuahahahahahahahahaha

Build more weapons!  :hellfire:

Your point wasn't easily missed. Life is a numbers game to see how many humans you can keep alive and under your rule when you take power and control over their country?

People see your point dude.

Doom said..."I guess my point is easily missed. There are very few vocations where your toils will bear a definite, mathematical humanity, but weapons engineering is one of those few."

--------------------
Ahuwale ka nane huna.

OfflineDoom
Rogue

#4200016 - 05/20/05 02:32 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

my outlook isn't the slightest bit grim, in fact, its quite a bit brighter than most of you hippies would like to accept.

Why did I choose my name? I dont know *gettingjiggywithit* but your armchair psychology is quite impressive...however...ultimitely incorrect.

oh and morrowind, your thinking is trapped in the cold war, do you know how many countries currently evolve air to surface missile guidance technology?

Invisiblevampirism
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#4200230 - 05/20/05 03:10 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

My thinking isn't trapped in the cold war at all, just the opposite. I'm suggesting that for every powerful weapon, there will be counters to the weapon in production. A while ago I heard that they could make a wide-range wave counter-weapon which would disable a nuclear missle as it flew towards its target. I'm not suggesting that weapons would escalate, I'm suggesting they'd become obsolete.

You have created a perfect system; in absolutely *ANY* ideal system, everything looks perfect. But seeing as how its pure fantasy, you're talking about your dreams, which are irrelevant to reality. Show me proof, not half-sensical dreams.

I don't know, tell me, how many countries currently evolve air to surface missle guidance technology? I imagine not more than those that could use it. What use is air to ground if you can't afford a good air force?

OfflineDoom
Rogue

Re: the truth [Re: vampirism]
    #4200252 - 05/20/05 03:15 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

a perfect system? hardly, we live in a world where missiles kill innocents because of a technological imperfect, if you can improve that imperfection by even 1% you can guarantee that less Innocent people will die.

half sensical dreams? this is just pure statistical analysis.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom