Home | Community | Message Board

Lil Shop Of Spores
Please support our sponsors.

Community >> The Pub

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 9th Dimension
Anyone read the Wheel of Time series? ... and other book adventures
    #4195318 - 05/19/05 02:13 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

by Robert Jordan

It's like Lord of the Rings taken to the next level.
I am currently on book 5 of 10. Jesus.. each book is like 1,000 pages.

Epic to say the least.
And woah what's this.. looks like they are making a game for it - http://www.wheeloftime.com/

But with reading, I tend to bounce around from book to book.. Like I will read half of one book, then start a different one and read a few chapters, then go to another one.

Right now I am reading about 6 different books. The Fires of Heaven (book 5 of wheel of time), The Elegant Universe, Walking Softly in the Wilderness, In the Shadow of the Shaman, Camping's Top Secrets.. and another one I left somewhere.

I tend to mostly read new age/metaphysical books, physics & astrophysics, natural healing, some science fictions, and things dealing with nature.

What do you read?

--------------------

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibletrendalM
King of Asides
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Re: Anyone read the Wheel of Time series? ... and other book adventures [Re: Shroomism]
    #4195350 - 05/19/05 02:19 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

I have read the entire series (well up to book 10...more to come) through about 5 or 6 times now :grin:

This is probably my favorite fantasy story.

--------------------
BTC - 1KqrSHZ1C3NsQP4g3PkHhppBnhdgyXr6sB

OfflineTinTree
thread killer(semi pro)
Male User Gallery

Loc: Mu
Re: Anyone read the Wheel of Time series? ... and other book adventures [Re: Shroomism]
    #4195365 - 05/19/05 02:21 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

WoT is a great series... though the pacing/passage of time/excitement slows for books 8-10. Eagerly awaiting the next book as always (surely it can't be the last).

Also, the Dune series by Frank Herbert is a must-read! Seriously, pick these up at a nearby used-bookstore! It'll be one of the best investments for the cost you'll ever make.

Even if you're not into graphic novels, the Sandman books by Neil Gaiman are works of genius.
If you're too poor to afford graphic novels, hit me up with a PM. Yarr! :pirate: :hint hint:

Other recommendations:
- Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card
- The Elric of Melnibone Saga by Michael Moorcock
- The First & Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant by Stephen R. Donaldson
- Running with the Demon, Knight of the Word, Angel Fire East by Terry  Brooks

--------------------
"I'm afraid of losing my obscurity. Genuineness only thrives in the dark. Like celery."
- Aldous Huxley

InvisibletrendalM
King of Asides
Male User Gallery

#4195382 - 05/19/05 02:24 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

:grin:

--------------------

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Re: Anyone read the Wheel of Time series? ... and other book adventures [Re: TinTree]
    #4195413 - 05/19/05 02:30 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

I'm too poor for most books.. but I enjoy liberating them from the corporations :hook: Yarrrr!!

So wait you're telling me that even by book 10.. Rand doesn't fight the Dark One in Shayol Gul.. or whateverthefuck?

I've also heard a lot about the Dune series.. I'll have to check that out next.

And Trendal.. I finally got the Elegant Universe just so I could read up on some superstring theory. I must say I think they are definitely on to something there. Something that combines quantum mechanics and general relativity.. into one all-encompassing theory. It makes a lot of sense, where physics in the past tended to obfuscate me to no end...and I disagreed with a lot of it.. finally a theory that embraces the oneness and the vibrations of multiple dimensions. I think they still have some major kinks to work out.. but it is definitely on the right path.

--------------------

InvisibletrendalM
King of Asides
Male User Gallery

#4195426 - 05/19/05 02:34 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Nope, Rand still hasn't gotten to fight the Dark One yet. Lots of other crazy stuff happens, of course, and Rand is certainly a little more insane by book 10...but still no Last Battle.

I think R.J. is planning on one last book, book 11...but I also heard that about book 10 so you never know :wink:

String theory is definitely some interesting stuff. I'm not entirely sure they have it correct...but that may be an issue with the mathematics more than the underlying theory.

--------------------

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Re: Anyone read the Wheel of Time series? ... and other book adventures [Re: trendal]
    #4195429 - 05/19/05 02:34 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

trendal said:

hahaha... sweet! :grin:

I only have up to book 8.. I'm going to wait until I finish the next three until I get 9 and 10.

--------------------

Invisibleblissedout
Male User Gallery

Loc: Yonder Flag
    #4195435 - 05/19/05 02:35 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

I have read this series up to Winter's Heart. I have the next book after that one, but haven't gotten to it, yet. Freaking excellent books!! The only thing that I don't care for is the number of characters. I mean, shit!! There are like a gazillion different key players in these books! Have you read any of The Sword of Truth books by Terry Goodkind? They are awesome, too! :sun:

--------------------

:murray:

Invisibleblissedout
Male User Gallery

Re: Anyone read the Wheel of Time series? ... and other book adventures [Re: trendal]
    #4195441 - 05/19/05 02:36 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

I thought that I heard that it was going to be a 12 book series. :shrug:

--------------------

Offlinelowdominion
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: new england
    #4195450 - 05/19/05 02:38 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

from what i have read theres going to be 12 at the very leat RJ has always said he will right as many books as it takes for him to write the story the way he wants to write it and if your looking for another amzing fantasy series check out The Song of Fire and Ice by George R. R. Martin its just as good as WoT

Invisibleblissedout
Male User Gallery

Re: Anyone read the Wheel of Time series? ... and other book adventures [Re: lowdominion]
    #4195466 - 05/19/05 02:40 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

I have read a couple of Martin's books and I guess they just didn't do it for me. I don't exactly know why, but I didn't like them too much. Maybe I just read his worst, or something.

--------------------

Offlinelowdominion
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Anyone read the Wheel of Time series? ... and other book adventures [Re: blissedout]
    #4195478 - 05/19/05 02:43 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

yeah i have heard people say that about his books i realy love how he kills off main characters like crazy you never know what is going to happen with him

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Re: Anyone read the Wheel of Time series? ... and other book adventures [Re: lowdominion]
    #4195600 - 05/19/05 03:00 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

I always hate it when they kill off main characters. It irks me. Like I cheated and skipped ahead to book 6.. and saw that Moraine had died.. :wtf: ..she was like my favorite character.. anybody else could have died and it would have been cool. And tension pisses me off.. like when that bitch took over the Amyrlin Seat, and stilled Suane... wtf. But I guess that's what keeps people reading.. drama and controversy to keep you on the edge of your seat. We humans love our drama don't we?

But yeah Blissed I hear you about the gazillion characters.. it's hard to keep track of them sometimes.. especially when you put the book down for a week or two.

--------------------

Invisiblevampirism
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#4195660 - 05/19/05 03:13 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

ive read through like book 7 or 8 or something, i got bored after a while =( Book 5 was supposed to be the final one, and whats he up to, like 20 now?

It def rocks though, i just got tired.

sadly, that game, at least the demo, sucked ass. It came out a long time ago, and no one ever played it.

Invisiblevampirism
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#4195667 - 05/19/05 03:15 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

wow, only 11? Damn, I thought I heard he made book 15 a while ago. I just checked it out, and it looks like you're right.

InvisibleMovingTarget

Loc: temporary
Re: Anyone read the Wheel of Time series? ... and other book adventures [Re: vampirism]
    #4195756 - 05/19/05 03:28 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

The series at times was cool, but it was just too boring half the time imo.

Read 'The book of the new sun' by Gene Wolfe :thumbup:  Don't go into it with expectations however, it requires a few reads to understand some of it too.

I'm also looking for something new to read.  Please keep the suggestions rolling :grin:

--------------------

Invisiblevampirism
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Re: Anyone read the Wheel of Time series? ... and other book adventures [Re: MovingTarget]
    #4195774 - 05/19/05 03:31 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

a series i was reading at the same time and enjoyed more was Piers Anthony's series Incarnations of Immortality

Offlinelowdominion
Stranger
 User Gallery

#4195797 - 05/19/05 03:34 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Yeah it does suck sometimes when they kill of a character that is realy kewl but it does add to the story sometimes with fantasy books it get old the tired good verse evil good always wins and the characters live happily ever after bullshit gets old thats what I like about Martin his characters have a lot of human quirks not realy good or evil just plain human with all the goods and bads that all real people have.

Offlinelowdominion
Stranger
 User Gallery

#4195813 - 05/19/05 03:36 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

and if anyone reading this thread has not read Illuminatus Trilogy pick it up it will blow your mind

InvisibleMovingTarget

Loc: temporary
    #4195932 - 05/19/05 04:07 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Has anyone here read seer king?

I bought it before reading anything about it, and so after finding out a bit about the book through reviews I was kinda put off and never bothered to continue past the first 50 pages.

What are your opinions of the book?

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Community >> The Pub