Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore Boomr Bag   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineSimper426
Stranger
Steer manure, etc.
    #4186511 - 05/17/05 12:24 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

First, and perhaps most importantly is steer manure a viable growing medium? I've seen reference to horse and cow manure, but not steer manure. Second if steer manure will work, do I need to add anything to make the mycelium grow? If so will organic rice flower work?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineCaptainCrunch
Contrary ToPopular Belief

Loc: Somwhere Over the rainbow
Re: Steer manure, etc. [Re: Simper426]
    #4186569 - 05/17/05 12:38 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

I suppose it will work, there are number of growing medians for most fungus, the reason that we follow the pf tek is because its proven fastest, cow manure will be quicker as well, cow eat hay which is another growing median, anyway the short answer is yes.. Thanks

Invisibleagar
old hand
 User Gallery

Loc: Somewhere Else
Trusted Cultivator
    #4186727 - 05/17/05 01:08 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Simper426 said:
First, and perhaps most importantly is steer manure a viable growing medium? I've seen reference to horse and cow manure, but not steer manure.

Store bought bagged steer manure most often comes from feed-lots and/or dairy operations. It most often has very high salt content, is sprayed with insecticides (fly/bug control), fungicides (odor control), is not properly composted & has a low C/N & fiber (lignin) ratio.

If it worked even half ass well, there would be no vendors like HMC & Tenn Stud. That should give you a hint - asto steer manure viability.

That is not to say, it will not work. But, you should add fiber (chopped straw)& hope the other downsides don't do you in.

Aged / weathered h/poo with nuggets & muffins still intact is about the best FREE substrate, other than tailor made compost. If you want to increase your odds, you should find a h/poo source.

--------------------

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Steer manure, etc. [Re: agar]
    #4186783 - 05/17/05 01:22 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

>but yes steer manure will work but what i was trying to say, is that your better off going to walmart, they sell cow manure..

If that is what you are trying to say, you are incorrect. Cow wont work any better then steer manure, and store bought cow manure wont work well, if at all unless your lucky.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

Offlinekimikiri
 User Gallery

Loc: Aboard an alien vessel
Re: Steer manure, etc. [Re: scatmanrav]
    #4189048 - 05/17/05 09:38 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

A long time ago in a galaxy far far away... I grew up on a farm.

cow = female, one who gives milk and births

steer = castrated male who is going to eventually be sold as meat

bull = fully functional male, used for breeding w/ cows

Now first and foremost understand that all 3 manures from each of these animals, on the same farm, will be the same(that is considering there is no human interference).

Secondly and just as if not more important understand that STORE BOUGHT manure is not equal to FRESH manure.

If you have to ask why think about it for a few moments... and if you still do not understand look at Agar's post.

--------------------
Those who would sacrifice their freedoms for securities deserve neither, and will soon lose both.

-Benjamin Franklin

OfflineLeimana
Lunatic

Loc: By the Tum-Tum tree, in u...
    #4191090 - 05/18/05 01:27 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

While I absolutely do not mean to contradict Agar, or Scatmanrav, for that matter, my personal experience with the steer manure that I purchased from my local Home Depot has been positive. It colonized quickly, and produces potent mushrooms (at least more potent than the things grown on my first brown rice flour cakes). However, for the very solid reasons Agar mentions in his post, your mileage may vary.

You will need to mix it with something to fluff it up. I have used ground corncob, vermiculite, and, most recently, shredded corrugated cardboard with success (I have a quart of Panaeolus Cyanescens colonizing on this now).

If there is fungicide in your manure, you are probably screwed, unless you are putting it on your tomatoes. I have found fire fang (a mushroom friendly mold) growing in my bags. I take this to be a good sign.

Buy some. It is cheap. Try it. If it works, great! If it doesn't, use it on your lawn, vegetables, flowers or herb(s). You cannot, however, look at the amazing and inspiring grow pictures of Scat and Agar and not BELIEVE that properly aged, field collected horse manure is the way to go for the BEST yields.

Leimana

InvisibleRoadkillM
Retired Shroomery Mod
Male User Gallery

Loc: Montana
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Steer manure, etc. [Re: Leimana]
    #4191126 - 05/18/05 01:41 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

my personal experience with the steer manure that I purchased from my local Home Depot has been positive.

right on!~

sometimes you can find a brand that does work...but they are few and far between!~

what brand did you get from Home Depot?
...and what part of the country?
that makes a difference too!~

tc

--------------------
Laterz, Road

Who the hell you callin crazy?
You wouldn't know what crazy was if Charles Manson was eating froot loops on your front porch!

Brainiac said:
PM the names with on there names, that means they have mushrooms for sale.

Offlinepsilocyben
bad guy

Re: Steer manure, etc. [Re: Roadkill]
    #4191174 - 05/18/05 01:52 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

i've had poor results w/  the same brand.
you cannot be sure...
unless you use the H :yesnod:

--------------------

Invisibleagar
old hand
 User Gallery

Loc: Somewhere Else
Trusted Cultivator
    #4191497 - 05/18/05 03:02 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Leimana said:my personal experience with the steer manure that I purchased from my local Home Depot has been positive. It colonized quickly, and produces potent mushrooms
Leimana

Just a word of WARNING

HomeDepot has 1900 stores nation wide. The type & brand of steer manure sold at them differs from area to area. Meaning it doesnt all come from the same source.

That is because you cannot ship a 40 pound bag of $1.99 bag of steer manure from 2600 miles coast to coast, or 1000 miles to border & keep the per bag price in the $2 per bag range.

So, I would suggest you POST the brand name of the steer manure product & city - state where this HomeDepot store is.

Otherwise..... someone in a differing state, or on the other side of the USA... will be rushing to HomeDepot with a grin on their face........ only to find later they are wasting their time, labor, spawn... trying to get it to go.

I tried the local stuff from the HomeDepot in my area & it wasnt a go.

--------------------

OfflineSammy
Between the fold

Loc: you'll shoot yer eye out ...
    #4191519 - 05/18/05 03:08 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Agreed. I'd have to say that if you want consistancy, get yourself some horse turds. They rock the world, set it on fire.. and grow your mushies!

Sam

--------------------

I believe in the Golden Rule ? The Man with the Gold . . . Rules.
- Mr. T

InvisibleRoadkillM
Retired Shroomery Mod
Male User Gallery

Loc: Montana
Trusted Cultivator
    #4191613 - 05/18/05 03:29 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

agar said:

Just a word of WARNING

HomeDepot has 1900 stores nation wide. The type & brand of steer manure sold at them differs from area to area. Meaning it doesnt all come from the same source.

That is because you cannot ship a 40 pound bag of $1.99 bag of steer manure from 2600 miles coast to coast, or 1000 miles to border & keep the per bag price in the $2 per bag range.

So, I would suggest you POST the brand name of the steer manure product & city - state where this HomeDepot store is.

Otherwise..... someone in a differing state, or on the other side of the USA... will be rushing to HomeDepot with a grin on their face........ only to find later they are wasting their time, labor, spawn... trying to get it to go.

I tried the local stuff from the HomeDepot in my area & it wasnt a go.

Thats a fact Jack!~

:thumbup: :thumbup:

--------------------
Laterz, Road

Who the hell you callin crazy?
You wouldn't know what crazy was if Charles Manson was eating froot loops on your front porch!

Brainiac said:
PM the names with on there names, that means they have mushrooms for sale.

OfflineLeimana
Lunatic

Re: Steer manure, etc. [Re: Roadkill]
    #4191620 - 05/18/05 03:30 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

My local Home Depot is located on the island of Maui.

The brand is Kellog. The bag lists addresses in Carson, CA, Lockeford, CA and Longview, WA.

Leimana

OfflineLeimana
Lunatic

#4191755 - 05/18/05 04:00 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Leimana also said:
"I absolutely do not mean to contradict Agar, or Scatmanrav"

I am a RANK AMATEUR. These are the gods of Amateur (or not-so-amateur) Mycology.
I'm the guy whose first attempt at bulk did nothing. No colonization, no contam. Nothing will grow in my horse poo.
I'm also the guy who cultures nothing but the finest green mold in his Karo Tek.
Taking MY word as difinitive on ANYTHING, is a bad idea.

Leimana also said:
"my personal experience"

This is my personal experience and accounts only for what has already happened. What will happen tomorrow may be completely different.

Leimana also said:
"It is cheap."

It is. Even out here.

Leimana also said:
"You cannot, however, look at the amazing and inspiring grow pictures of Scat and Agar and not BELIEVE that properly aged, field collected horse manure is the way to go for the BEST yields."

And I will stand by that statement, because it is true, and comes from people I respect.

Leimana

Offlinekimikiri
 User Gallery

Loc: Aboard an alien vessel
    #4193622 - 05/18/05 11:53 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Personally I would have to disagree because the CONSISTENCY of any store bought manure is not secure.

ALL manure from "home depot" or "name your brand" is NOT from the same farm... which means the animals are NOT feed the same grain and do NOT live in the same conditions... this also means that the manure is NOT treated in the same fashion before it is shipped and THEN processed by "home depot" or "name your brand". This is why what happens with store bought will always be chaotic... sometimes good... great.. poor.. nothing....

--------------------
Those who would sacrifice their freedoms for securities deserve neither, and will soon lose both.

-Benjamin Franklin

OfflineSimper426
Stranger
Re: Steer manure, etc. [Re: kimikiri]
    #4195070 - 05/19/05 11:19 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Update:
After a couple days I saw marked growth, but just to be sure I had enough nutrition for the boys I added sterilized organic rice flower. That was yesterday. For your information I bought my steer manure at a locally owned, eco-friendly nursery. I don't want to be presumptuous, but would imagine such businesses would on the whole offer a more myco-friendly poop.

I'll keep you all aware of my progress and would appreciate any further advice.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore Boomr Bag   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds