Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Invisible1stimer
Religion=Rape
Loc: Amerika
top federal officials: animal rights extremists are most serious terrorism threat to the nation
    #4194310 - 05/19/05 06:20 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/05/19/domestic.terrorism/index.html
Quote:

Senior officials from the FBI and the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms (ATF) and Explosives told a Senate panel Wednesday of their growing concern over these groups.

Of particular concern are the Animal Liberation Front (ALF) and the Earth Liberation Front (ELF).

John Lewis, the FBI's deputy assistant director for counterterrorism, said animal and environmental rights extremists have claimed credit for more than 1,200 criminal incidents since 1990. The FBI has 150 pending investigations associated with animal rights or eco-terrorist activities, and ATF officials say they have opened 58 investigations in the past six years related to violence attributed to the ELF and ALF.

In the same period violence from groups like the Ku Klux Klan and anti-abortion extremists have declined, Lewis said.

The ELF has been linked to fires set at sport utility vehicle dealerships and construction sites in various states, while the ALF has been blamed for arson and bombings against animal research labs and the pharmaceutical and cosmetics industry.

No deaths have been blamed on attacks by those groups so far, but the attacks have increased in frequency and size, said Lewis.

"Plainly, I think we're lucky. Once you set one of these fires they can go way out of control," Lewis said.

ATF Deputy Assistant Director Carson Carroll agreed with Lewis' assessment.

"The most worrisome trend to law enforcement and private industry alike has been the increase in willingness by these movements to resort to the use of incendiary and explosive devices," he said.

The FBI also identified a British-based group, Stop Huntingdon Animal Cruelty, as a U.S. terror threat. The group targets Britain's Huntingdon Life Sciences Laboratory, which has an American facility in East Millstone, New Jersey.

Last year a federal grand jury indicted seven people identified as members of the group on charges they vandalized company property and harassed lab employees and customers.
Inhofe alleges PETA link

Senate Environment Committee Chairman James Inhofe estimated the cost of damages from militant environmental and animal rights supporters at more than $110 million in the past decade.

"Just like al Qaeda or any other terrorist movement, ELF and ALF cannot accomplish their goals without money, membership and the media," the Republican senator from Oklahoma said.

Inhofe said there was "a growing network of support for extremists like ELF and ALF," and he singled out People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals for giving money to members of both groups.

PETA claims more than 800,000 members. Its president, Ingrid Newkirk, declined to appear at the hearing, but general counsel Jeffrey Kerr denied Inhofe's allegation in a written statement.

"PETA has no involvement with alleged ALF or ELF actions. PETA does not support terrorism. PETA does not support violence," Kerr said.

"In fact PETA exists to fight the terrorism and violence inflicted on billions of animals annually in the meat, dairy, experimentation, tobacco, fur, leather, and circus industries."
Skepticism from some

Some committee members have expressed skepticism over the high level of concern toward environmental and animal rights extremists.

"The Department of Homeland Security spends over $40 billion a year to protect the home front," Sen. Frank Lautenberg said. After listing al Qaeda, Hamas and Hezbollah, the Democrat from New Jersey wanted to know who else the law enforcement agencies considered terrorists: "Right to Life? Sierra Club?"

Lautenberg declared himself "a tree hugger."

And Sen. James Jeffords also issued a statement expressing doubt about the target of concern.

"Congress can't do much about individual extremists committing crimes in the name of ELF or ALF, but we can act to significantly enhance the safety of communities across the nation," the independent from Vermont wrote.

"ELF and ALF may threaten dozens of people each year, but an incident at a chemical, nuclear or wastewater facility would threaten tens of thousands."[/q]

Bush's nazi diversion tactis so we dont think about osama.

--------------------
ash dingy donker mo gollyhopper patty popiton rockstop bueno mayo riggedy jig bobber johnathan pattywhacker gogboob t-shirt monkey.

There is such emotion in the distortion.

Edited by 1stimer (05/19/05 10:05 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineAdamist
ℚṲℰϟ✞ЇѺℵ ℛ∃Åʟḯ†У
Male User Gallery

Loc: Bloomington, IN
Re: top federal officials: animal rights extremists are most serious terrorism threat to the nation [Re: 1stimer]
    #4194420 - 05/19/05 07:28 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Haha.. cool. I hope they keep doing it.

--------------------
:heartpump: { { { ṧ◎ηḯ¢ αʟ¢ℌ℮мƴ } } } :heartpump:

Invisiblelooner2
ABBA fan

Re: top federal officials: animal rights extremists are most serious terrorism threat to the nation [Re: Adamist]
    #4194474 - 05/19/05 08:00 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Yeah Adamist! Burn the SUVs!!! Sweetness, global revolution man!!

--------------------
I am in love with Acidic_Sloth

OfflineAdviapacis
Revisiting

Loc: South Park, CO
Re: top federal officials: animal rights extremists are most serious terrorism threat to the nation [Re: looner2]
    #4194692 - 05/19/05 09:27 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Yes, there's nothing like torching homes and motor vehicles to improve the environment.

--------------------
Respect my authority!

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
Re: top federal officials: animal rights extremists are most serious terrorism threat to the nation [Re: 1stimer]
    #4194796 - 05/19/05 09:59 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

... at the same time, I wonder if this isn't a ploy by the government to convince the sheep that the patriot act really is needed to spy at home because of these extreme terrorist groups that like to burn down ski lodges, etc. Don't get me wrong, I dislike what the eco-terrorists do, but I don't see it as the "most serious terrorism thread to the nation"... maybe to Vail or Aspen, but certainly not the nation.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

InvisibleSuperD
Cacti junky
 User Gallery

Loc: The bridgesii bridge
Re: top federal officials: animal rights extremists are most serious terrorism threat to the nation [Re: Adviapacis]
    #4194814 - 05/19/05 10:04 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

I really found that quite ironic too. They care so much about our environment yet they don't think twice about burning SUVs and buildings. It doesn't take a genius to figure out that's not healthy for mother nature. If they really care, they should instead slash all tires / deface the living shit out of the SUVs with by keying them etc, and maybe smash in the windows for good measure.

--------------------
:super:D
Manoa said:
I need to stop spending all my money on plants and take up a cheaper hobby, like heroin. :lol:

Looking for Rauhocereus riosaniensis seeds or live specimen(s), :pm: me if you have any for trade

InvisibletrendalM Happy Birthday!
J♠
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ontario, Canada Flag
Re: top federal officials: animal rights extremists are most serious terrorism threat to the nation [Re: Seuss]
    #4195019 - 05/19/05 11:09 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Seuss said:
... at the same time, I wonder if this isn't a ploy by the government to convince the sheep that the patriot act really is needed to spy at home because of these extreme terrorist groups that like to burn down ski lodges, etc.  Don't get me wrong, I dislike what the eco-terrorists do, but I don't see it as the "most serious terrorism thread to the nation"... maybe to Vail or Aspen, but certainly not the nation.

:thumbup:

"most serious terrorism threat"? Give me a break...

The article freely admits that there have been no deaths as a result of these eco-terrorists, which to me indicates that there is an active purpose to not kill anyone on the part of the eco-nuts.

Of course I don't agree with their (environmentalist extremists) stance at all...but why try to make them out to be such a big threat when they quite obviously are not?

Oh...that's right...fear.

--------------------
Once, men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free.
But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

Loc: Dominican Republic
Re: top federal officials: animal rights extremists are most serious terrorism threat to the nation [Re: trendal]
    #4195065 - 05/19/05 11:18 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

I can see their point in a way. It's undeniable that in terms of the number of attacks inside America, the eco-terrorist attacks outnumber the Islamo-terrorist attacks tremendously. And bombs and arson aren't exactly harmless -- sooner or later someone's going to be in the wrong place at the wrong time and end up dead.

In terms of the number of people killed to date, the Islamo-terrorists of course win hands down. So it depends what interpretation you want to put on "most serious". Myself, I would stick with the Islamo-terrorists.

Phred

--------------------

OfflineKalix
'Head

Re: top federal officials: animal rights extremists are most serious terrorism threat to the nation [Re: SuperD]
    #4195115 - 05/19/05 11:31 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

SuperD said:
I really found that quite ironic too. They care so much about our environment yet they don't think twice about burning SUVs and buildings. It doesn't take a genius to figure out that's not healthy for mother nature. If they really care, they should instead slash all tires / deface the living shit out of the SUVs with by keying them etc, and maybe smash in the windows for good measure.

Burning an SUV would pollute, but only a little compared to how much the SUV would pollute throughout it's running life...

--------------------

My Unitarian Jihad Name is: The Shotgun of Sweet Reason

OfflineAdviapacis
Revisiting

Loc: South Park, CO
Re: top federal officials: animal rights extremists are most serious terrorism threat to the nation [Re: Kalix]
    #4195528 - 05/19/05 12:49 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Not true. SUV engine combustion is controlled for efficiency, emissions are controlled and treated by various means. The burning of an SUV includes tires, plastics and even metals. This combustion is not controlled for efficiency nor emissions.

--------------------
Respect my authority!

J♠
Male User Gallery

Re: top federal officials: animal rights extremists are most serious terrorism threat to the nation [Re: Adviapacis]
    #4195562 - 05/19/05 12:55 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

I expect that the one-time burning of an SUV would release much more toxic chemicals than simple SUV exhaust...but I also expect the total ammount of chemicals released by burning an SUV would be far less that the total exhaust chemicals released during the average lifetime of a SUV.

How many tanks of gasoline does the average SUV go through in its lifetime? I highly suspect this ammount would be FAR greater than the material burned in a SUV fire.

--------------------
Once, men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free.

InvisibleSuperD
Cacti junky
 User Gallery

Loc: The bridgesii bridge
    #4195661 - 05/19/05 01:14 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Adviapacis said:
Not true. SUV engine combustion is controlled for efficiency, emissions are controlled and treated by various means. The burning of an SUV includes tires, plastics and even metals. This combustion is not controlled for efficiency nor emissions.

You put into words exactly what I was trying to convey in my original post. Sure SUVs are bad for the environment. But there is at least somewhat of a control on how many pollutants one puts out over it's lifetime. There's obviously no control over all the other material that is burned when one is set ablaze. It would be interesting to see results from a study comparing the fumes from both scenarios. I highly doubt it will ever be done though. My point is still the same, there are many other ways to trash an SUV or any vehicle for that matter without it involving fire of any sort.

--------------------
:super:D
Manoa said:
I need to stop spending all my money on plants and take up a cheaper hobby, like heroin. :lol:

Looking for Rauhocereus riosaniensis seeds or live specimen(s), :pm: me if you have any for trade

Invisiblelooner2
ABBA fan

Re: top federal officials: animal rights extremists are most serious terrorism threat to the nation [Re: trendal]
    #4195852 - 05/19/05 01:46 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

I expect that the one-time burning of an SUV would release much more toxic chemicals than simple SUV exhaust...but I also expect the total ammount of chemicals released by burning an SUV would be far less that the total exhaust chemicals released during the average lifetime of a SUV.

How many tanks of gasoline does the average SUV go through in its lifetime? I highly suspect this ammount would be FAR greater than the material burned in a SUV fire.

Right! Because we all know the burning of that SUV is keeping some poor sucker from driving an SUV. There just isn't enough to go around!!

--------------------
I am in love with Acidic_Sloth

J♠
Male User Gallery

Re: top federal officials: animal rights extremists are most serious terrorism threat to the nation [Re: looner2]
    #4195877 - 05/19/05 01:52 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Um....what's your point?

And no, I am not advocating the burning of SUV's. That's for the nutcase environmentalists.

Reflex reply?

--------------------

OfflineStrandedVoyager
The People's Champ
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: (202)-456-1414 Call Me
    #4195958 - 05/19/05 02:12 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Those pesky animal terrorists... I saw them run a cow into a federal building once.

--------------------
Hi  :scrambled:

My god... it's full of stars...

Edited by PhatWhitey420 (05/19/05 02:13 PM)

InvisibleAdden
I'm a teapot
Loc: Flag
    #4196024 - 05/19/05 02:22 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

If this is all we have to worry about, the Republicans are doing a great job!!!!! :thumbup:

:rolleyes: :devil:

OfflineGrav
 User Gallery

Loc: Flag
Re: top federal officials: animal rights extremists are most serious terrorism threat to the nation [Re: Adden]
    #4202799 - 05/21/05 09:01 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Animals should be respected, and we should be respectful in the way that we end their lives to feed our own.

Though I would never participate in such activity, I understand the actions of animal rights extremists.

Do you think there will ever be a policy change to protect animal rights?

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Cultivation Supplies