Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomCube.com
Please support our sponsors.

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Invisibleveggie

Loc: Flag
Skunk cannabis may be reclassified [UK]
    #4193708 - 05/19/05 02:18 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Skunk cannabis may be reclassified
May 19, 2005 - guardian.co.uk

Drug experts will begin debating today whether stronger "skunk" varieties of cannabis should carry higher penalties for possession.

The Advisory Council for the Misuse of Drugs, which meets in London, has been asked by the home secretary, Charles Clarke, for its advice on varieties of cannabis containing high levels of THC, the active ingredient.

In his letter to the committee, Mr Clarke pointed it to these forms of the plant, known as skunk, which are often grown in nutrient-rich water.

"I am aware the Dutch government are taking a particular interest in very high strength strains and are considering whether cannabis above a certain strength should be a higher classification," the home secretary said.

The council is reviewing whether the recent relaxation of the penalties for cannabis possession should be reversed.

Tony Blair told the Commons on Tuesday that he hoped the experts would produce their report within weeks, but those hopes are likely to be dashed.

The council, which is chaired by a clinical pharmacologist, Sir Michael Rawlins, is expected to agree a timetable and terms of reference today for its review of the cannabis laws, which means that a final report is unlikely to be produced before December.

The review was announced just before the general election campaign got under way following fresh claims of mental health problems caused by regular cannabis use and by the growing use in Britain of skunk.

Mr Blair hinted strongly in the Commons that he could reverse the relaxation in the laws on cannabis: "If it advises us to change that decision, we will do so. If it does not, we will obviously have to consider that," he told MPs.

The drug experts are likely to set up a committee to examine evidence from a New Zealand study which claims that regular use of cannabis can increase the risk of mental health problems later in life for those with a family history of mental illness.

The council recommended the decision taken by the former home secretary, David Blunkett, to downgrade cannabis possession from class B to class C in January last year. In making that recommendation the experts took into account claims that regular cannabis smoking could exacerbate existing mental health problems but not the more recent academic evidence that it could trigger new problems.

The reclassification meant that most adults caught in possession face a police policy of "confiscate and warn," while those under 18 are arrested and taken to a police station and given a formal reprimand.

The proposal to introduce different penalties for different strengths of cannabis could cause practical problems for the police, who would have to distinguish between cannabis that they could arrest adults for possessing and weaker strains for which they could only issue an informal warning.

Martin Barnes, the chief executive of DrugScope, a drugs information charity, said: "We are seeing stronger cannabis generally but the bigger problem is that cannabis is being used regularly by a younger age group, rather than it being stronger than in the past."

Research in the US has reported that cannabis 10 times more potent than traditional strains has been appearing there. The average potency of cannabis consumed in Holland, where there has been an explosion in the homegrown market, has doubled, to about 16% THC. Research by the EU's drug agency last year suggested that the effective strength of cannabis consumed in Britain has remained unchanged at about 6% THC for 30 years.

The study acknowledged that there has been an unknown increase in home-grown cannabis, which can be two to three times more potent, but more than 70% of the British market was taken by imported Moroccan hashish.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleMrMaddHatter
Dementia praecox
 User Gallery

Loc: Nowhere
Re: Skunk cannabis may be reclassified [UK] [Re: veggie]
    #4194124 - 05/19/05 05:14 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Oh great. The US will probably follow very soon. :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

--------------------
I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
Hunter S. Thompson

It's always tea-time, and we've no time to wash the things between whiles.

Don't be a fool, this is a war on drugs. Act like. The government sure does!

OfflineOrganic
Lloyd

Loc: Overlook
Re: Skunk cannabis may be reclassified [UK] [Re: MrMaddHatter]
    #4194144 - 05/19/05 05:28 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Are they going to analyze every batch that they confiscate? Stupidest idea in a while.

--------------------

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
Re: Skunk cannabis may be reclassified [UK] [Re: Organic]
    #4194217 - 05/19/05 06:44 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Yep... smoking cannabis is bad for you... and we understand that when you grow stonger weed you smoke less of it, which is good for you... so we are going to make it even worse to grow stronger weed, because if you are going to do something illegal, we are going to ensure that it is as bad for you as we can... that way we can point you out to everybody and show that it really is bad for you to smoke weed... it can even land you in jail... so just say no and smoke some nice safe tobacco and have a nice safe beer before you drive home for the evening. Oh, and be sure to thank me for looking out for your best intrests... you might not appreciate it, but my wallet sure does.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

InvisibleSorted
Monkee
Loc: UK
Re: Skunk cannabis may be reclassified [UK] [Re: Seuss]
    #4194583 - 05/19/05 10:46 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

It's an idea so bad you just have to laugh. Seems more like an attempt to hit home growers with harsher sentences rather than anything to do with peoples health. As the government already knows most of the hash on the streets is so polluted* it shouldn't even be considered as cannabis. Yet they think it's safer for people to smoke that than weed?

* http://www.ccguide.org.uk/badsoap.php

OfflineOOOO
Stranger
Re: Skunk cannabis may be reclassified [UK] [Re: veggie]
    #4194825 - 05/19/05 12:07 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

instead of making the penalties for good pot harsher, they should make the penalties for shitty pot more lenient.

i'm all for grading the penalties for drug possession\sale according the actual amount of controlled substance present, not the carrier or mixture it's in. currently i'm pretty sure that the carrier or mixture counts towards the weight, meaning that people caught with a couple sugar cubes with a little acid on them have the potential to go away for a very long time. when they bust people for pot growing, they often weight the entire plant, including the stalk and sometimes the roots. it's ridiculous.

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
Re: Skunk cannabis may be reclassified [UK] [Re: OOOO]
    #4194847 - 05/19/05 12:14 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

> i'm all for grading the penalties for drug possession\sale according the actual amount of controlled substance present,

Funny, I am all for removing all penalties for drug possesion\sale regardless of the actual amount of controlled substance present.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

InvisibleSuperD
Cacti junky
 User Gallery

Loc: The bridgesii bridge
    #4194877 - 05/19/05 12:23 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

No matter what the outcome of this bullshit is, people will still be using and selling cannabis of all grades. The only thing illegalizing it does is provide the government with some extra pocket change when the police bust someone. It's alllll about the benjamins. The government has shown more than once it clearly doesn't care about the health of the people (alcohol / tobacco) as Seuss mentioned are a prime example of this. I'm so god damned tired of seeing alcohol commercials advertising happy people partying at a pool followed by a stoned teenager rotting in his basement too lazy to get up and work or do something "productive".

--------------------
:super:D
Manoa said:
I need to stop spending all my money on plants and take up a cheaper hobby, like heroin. :lol:

Looking for Rauhocereus riosaniensis seeds or live specimen(s), :pm: me if you have any for trade

OfflineThe_Red_Crayon
Exposer of Truth
Male User Gallery

Loc: Smokey Mtns. TN Flag
    #4195419 - 05/19/05 02:32 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Seuss said:
> i'm all for grading the penalties for drug possession\sale according the actual amount of controlled substance present,

Funny, I am all for removing all penalties for drug possesion\sale regardless of the actual amount of controlled substance present.

agreed. Marijuana is marijuana when its in brick or nice hash or someone growing kush in his attic. Its still a plant or byproduct of the plant.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service