Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinexburn
V card
WBS to Poo Not going
    #4192184 - 05/18/05 07:36 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

If one were to use a pint of colonizecd WBS to spawn to horse poo thats been pasterized correctly what are some reasons it wouldn't be colonizeing. The temp is like 86. i see no rhizos whatso ever

--------------------
Check out the official MushroomWiki at http://www.mushroomwiki.com. Stop by and contribute.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineMighty Bop
Big Boy

Loc: Nowhere
Re: WBS to Poo Not going [Re: xburn]
    #4192188 - 05/18/05 07:38 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

How long has it been?

--------------------
"One attaineth whatever state of being one thinketh about at the last when relinquishing the body, being ever absorbed in the thought thereof." - Sri Krishna to Arjuna, Bhagavad Gita, viii, 6

OfflineSammy
Between the fold

Loc: you'll shoot yer eye out ...
    #4192191 - 05/18/05 07:39 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

How long has it been?? How many pounds did you spawn to?? A pint seems a bit low if you're doing anything bigger than a roasting pan. Did you let the h poo cool down completely before spawning?? uhhhhhhh...............

Sam

--------------------

I believe in the Golden Rule ? The Man with the Gold . . . Rules.
- Mr. T

Offlinejtk
Stranger
 User Gallery

#4192193 - 05/18/05 07:39 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

How long has it been incubating? Do you have it covered with holes poked in the covering, until it's colonized? Was the poo moist, but not dripping when you spawned?

Maybe take the temps down, Myc. and poo produces heat on it's own. Many people don't even incubate after spawning. I would maybe put it at 75.

--------------------
Don't let your brain tell your mind it can't feel

InvisibleSoopaX
Criminal DrugAnalyst

#4192243 - 05/18/05 07:49 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Well, to put it in the abstract, the substrate isn't ideal for the mycelia. The most common failure at bulk the first time is moisture levels. Let your substrate drain overnight before you spawn it and if it feels like mud, mix in some vermiculite until it's not sopping wet. Proper pasteurization is simple to judge, did you have the core temperature of the material between 160-200?F for more than an hour? If so, the material isn't contaminated. Other issues could involve chemical impurities in the substrate. The thing is, all of these conditions will eventually lead to contamination, so it will be hard to say what exactly it is. I'd lean towards it being a soaked-substrate, but here are some solutions for other things.

1) Wet Substrate - Your substrate shouldn't feel like mud when you pack it down. Most newbies over-hydrate their casing layers, PF jars and bulk substrates. The best explanation that I've seen on moisture levels for substrate are in the PF Tek for Simple Minds. You want the mixture to be loosing water, then add some vermiculite just to sop it up. This is the exact consistency that you will want for other mushroom substrates.

2) Improper Pasteurization / Contamination - Pretty simple here. 160-200? for an hour, if ya got it, ya got it. Let it drain over a clean sink well covered with a trash bag. Sterile technique should lead you away from contaminating a spawning. You'll look filthy (shit-covered hands), but it's relatively clean as contaminants go.

3) Chemical Impurities - Ammonia is a big one. At the VERY LEAST, you want to break your substrate up very well and let it sun-dry to total dryness. This will cause any of the ammonias in the excrement to volatize. Leeching is another good idea, but I think that some people lose a lot of nutrients unnecessiarly. If you hose your substrate down, then sun dry it, a lot of the nasty stuff disappears. I've turned filthy, cobwebby straw into excellent substrate by doing this. If the manure has harmful impurities (such as mercury, poisons), then you just shouldn't use it.

Thats about all I can think of. If it's your first time doing bulk, use a VERY high spawn rate, just so that it'll work for you and you can get some sucess. Hell, go 1:2, you can make more spawn.

good luck

--------------------

Jackie Treehorn treats objects like women, man

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation