Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store - Cannabis Seeds
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Salvia

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleRavus
Not an EggshellWalker
 User Gallery

Loc: Cave of the Patriarchs
The Potential of Evolution
    #4191124 - 05/18/05 03:40 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Through genetic variation and evolution, animals have taken flight into the sky, bacteria have adapted to live in temperature of hundreds of degrees, man has developed civilization and sent robots to neighboring planets, and dogs have been able to wag their tails.

There's probably much better examples of the wonders of evolution, but it's useless to lay praise on the law that has allowed all life to develop.

Seeing as what evolution has done, is it possible that through natural selection, humans or other animals could develop so-called psychic or supernatural abilities such as telekinesis, mind-reading (without any sensory input), and levitation? Is it possible to encode such abilities within the genetic code of an organism, or are these merely the fantasies of humans that could never exist in any universe?

For the point of discussion, we'll assume that, since there's no evidence of such, humans and other organisms do not currently have any of these powers.

I believe it is a possibility that certain biological methods may possibly be created to levitate and use telekinesis. Using the laws of nature and natural forces, birds have been allowed to fly by developing certain organs, so it doesn't seem wholly impossible that an organism may develop organs that would enable him to hover over the ground. An organism could possibly influence objects without touching them in the act of telekinesis by emanating powerful waves of energy, whether this be heat or vibrations or other forms. Since this is purely theoretical I cannot comprehend the organs or biological methods that would be created to do so-called "supernatural" acts, but I believe they may be within the realm of possibility if an organism, by natural selection, needed to evolve such methods.

The obvious reason it seems no organisms have developed levitation or telekinesis is because it's not needed. There are easier methods, such as flying compared to levitation, or getting up and using appendages to move objects than telekinesis, that require less energy and would still enable the organism to survive and do tasks just as well.

--------------------
So long as you are praised think only that you are not yet on your own path but on that of another.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
Re: The Potential of Evolution [Re: Ravus]
    #4191208 - 05/18/05 04:00 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Natural selection does NOT enable organisms to select for new laws of physics. There ARE constraints.

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

OfflineOldWoodSpecter
waiting
Male

Loc: mountains and lakes
Re: The Potential of Evolution [Re: Swami]
    #4191226 - 05/18/05 04:05 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Does a radio brake laws of physics? No, so why would a brain with a natural antenna brake them?

--------------------
I descend upon your earth from the skies
I command your very souls you unbelievers
Bring before me what is mine

InvisibleRavus
Not an EggshellWalker
 User Gallery

#4191244 - 05/18/05 04:10 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

I agree, but where does it say that levitation, using the right mechanisms, violates the laws of physics? Where does it say that telekinesis violates the laws of physics?

A machine could potentially hover completely within the bounds of physics, so it is a possibility that an organism could. A machine could also potentially move or influence an object without coming in contact with it, so the same rules still apply. Just because an organic lifeform hasn't done it on earth, the fact that machines can do these "supernatural" acts of levitation and telekinesis show that it is a possibility life could do them, but of course, if a machine does them it's just a mechanical trait. If an organism does it, it's magic.

The acts of levitation and telekinesis for an organism versus a machine seem to have the same views as your thread about HAL, where a human-made artifically conscious and intelligent robot isn't magical and doesn't have a soul, but a natural selection created organism with consciousness and intelligence is thought of to have a spirit, a soul and an afterlife.

--------------------
So long as you are praised think only that you are not yet on your own path but on that of another.

Invisiblegettinjiggywithit
jiggy
Female User Gallery

Loc: Heart of Laughter
    #4191261 - 05/18/05 04:15 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

I can put a candle out without ever touching it. We can't see our breath, but it has a force. Invisable Physics he he he.

--------------------
Ahuwale ka nane huna.

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

#4191267 - 05/18/05 04:18 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Now levitation has become hovering? What does beating the air have to do with TK? Hard to follow you.

--------------------

OfflineMixomatosis
great ape

Loc: cipherland
    #4191268 - 05/18/05 04:19 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

The physical elements we're composed of limit our potential. Biological organisms aren't composed of metal that could be used to make an antenae, for example.

It would be kinda neat to have super powers, but I'm afraid technology is a much more effective way to gain these powers than through evolution. Maybe humans could evolve to a point where they could fire tazer like blasts from their fingertips, but why bother when you can just have a gun?

I'll conclude by suggesting that you quit day dreaming and unquestioningly accept the reigning belief systems, cold and unloving though they may be, as your own. That goes for all of you.

InvisibleIcelander
The Minstrel in the Gallery
Male

Loc: underbelly
Re: The Potential of Evolution [Re: Mixomatosis]
    #4191337 - 05/18/05 04:30 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

:lol:

--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

#4191355 - 05/18/05 04:34 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

What about conflicting reigning belief systems? Which one should I go with?

--------------------

InvisibleVeritas
 User Gallery
    #4191371 - 05/18/05 04:36 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Try "eenie meenie miney moe," that seems to work for the majority!

OfflineBoneMan
Shrimpin ain't easy
Male

Loc: new new england
    #4191383 - 05/18/05 04:38 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

its possible, using genes from deep sea creatures, to make any other animal (such as a human) have glowing phosphorescent skin.

genes seem to be the universal code of life on earth, meaning that you can take any gene from any living creature and implant it into the DNA of any other creature. of course, this all has to be done before the creature is even an embryo.

the problem with your question is that we'd have to find a creature with telekinetic abilities, isolate the genes that give it those powers, and artificially insert those genes into human DNA. we cant just write our own genetic code for telekinesis, we wouldnt know how, we dont know the language.

as far as this coming about through natural selection, i highly doubt it. maybe far off in the future, if the human race starts to split apart and venture off to distant stars, therefore isolating a relatively small population.

but for now, natural selection isn't really happening for humans. even the dumbest, fattest and slowest of humans can survive long enough to procreate, with other dumb fat and slow humans. perpetuating the existance of shitty genes.

evolution is now in our own hands, and will only happen through genetic manipulation.

InvisibleRavus
Not an EggshellWalker
 User Gallery

#4191393 - 05/18/05 04:40 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

levitate-
To rise or cause to rise into the air and float in apparent defiance of gravity.

hover-
To remain floating, suspended, or fluttering in the air

Levitation is to rise and float in the air without any wings. I would not say this violates the laws of physics, but perhaps you are adding a connotation onto it that I am not.

Could not an organism potentially levitate using electromagnetism or another force of nature, or by using the air in such a way as that it could push him up without any wings or motors? Could not an organism potentially move an object without touching it using electromagnetism or powerful vibrations in the air? While there are easier ways to do this, I would not say it is impossible for either the laws of physics or evolution.

As for the third example I had, mind reading without using facial cues or such, it seems that we've started developing machines that can do this to an extent, such as lie detectors, so it's a possibility that an organism could develop a way to measure another organism's brainwave patterns, blood pressure, breathing rate, etc. by simply being near it. A type of organic antenna of information, if you will.

Most supernatural actions seem possible to develop without the breaking the laws of the physics or the universe. It's all a matter of developing the right organs and methods by evolution. Does this mean I believe that humans can perform supernatural actions? No, I don't believe any humans can levitate or use telekinesis, but I would not say it's impossible for an organism to develop such abilities. Just take away all that spiritual, mystical new age lies and connotations we add to these actions, and they seem entirely possible, though not probable.

--------------------

OfflineOldWoodSpecter
waiting
Male

#4191438 - 05/18/05 04:50 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Mixomatosis said:
The physical elements we're composed of limit our potential. Biological organisms aren't composed of metal that could be used to make an antenae, for example.

It would be kinda neat to have super powers, but I'm afraid technology is a much more effective way to gain these powers than through evolution. Maybe humans could evolve to a point where they could fire tazer like blasts from their fingertips, but why bother when you can just have a gun?

I'll conclude by suggesting that you quit day dreaming and unquestioningly accept the reigning belief systems, cold and unloving though they may be, as your own. That goes for all of you.

Well we are not made with wires , yet we still run on electricity in a way. And a basic antenna is made out of carbon, not metal

--------------------

OfflineOldWoodSpecter
waiting
Male

#4191450 - 05/18/05 04:53 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Ravus said:
levitate-
To rise or cause to rise into the air and float in apparent defiance of gravity.

hover-
To remain floating, suspended, or fluttering in the air

Levitation is to rise and float in the air without any wings. I would not say this violates the laws of physics, but perhaps you are adding a connotation onto it that I am not.

Could not an organism potentially levitate using electromagnetism or another force of nature, or by using the air in such a way as that it could push him up without any wings or motors? Could not an organism potentially move an object without touching it using electromagnetism or powerful vibrations in the air? While there are easier ways to do this, I would not say it is impossible for either the laws of physics or evolution.

As for the third example I had, mind reading without using facial cues or such, it seems that we've started developing machines that can do this to an extent, such as lie detectors, so it's a possibility that an organism could develop a way to measure another organism's brainwave patterns, blood pressure, breathing rate, etc. by simply being near it. A type of organic antenna of information, if you will.

Most supernatural actions seem possible to develop without the breaking the laws of the physics or the universe. It's all a matter of developing the right organs and methods by evolution. Does this mean I believe that humans can perform supernatural actions? No, I don't believe any humans can levitate or use telekinesis, but I would not say it's impossible for an organism to develop such abilities. Just take away all that spiritual, mystical new age lies and connotations we add to these actions, and they seem entirely possible, though not probable.

using air to levitate, indeed.

Why else do we have our asshole to be exactly vertical when we are in position of mediating? With bad enough case of gass there is a way to beat gravity.

--------------------

OfflineMixomatosis
great ape

#4191464 - 05/18/05 04:55 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Yes, you're right, IF you gave humans or any life form long enough, they MIGHT be able to develop these kinds of abilities. There's no evidence to base any kind of theorizing on, and it's all totally unfounded speculation, but you're correct in that it MIGHT be possible sometime MAYBE. Good work. Now let's all stop posting in this thread and go back to etching our unremarkable lives on the surface of this space rock by the only means that seem to work: monotonous labour.

InvisibleRavus
Not an EggshellWalker
 User Gallery

#4191491 - 05/18/05 05:00 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Why so cynical? Many threads I read in S&P involve theoretical scenarios that probably won't ever happen, but they're still interesting cases to consider.

And I'm not really talking about humans, I'm talking about any type of organism, whether it's advanced alien worms that can read each other's brainwaves, or a type of emu that can use powerful high-pitched vibrations to move an object ten feet away, or a type of ferret that can filter air through its system so quickly that it starts to float above the ground without any wings or other common organs.

If it's a possibility for life to evolve supernatural abilities, then they're not necessarily supernatural, they're just potential scenarios that no earth organisms have needed yet.

--------------------

OfflineMixomatosis
great ape

#4191543 - 05/18/05 05:13 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

interesting cases to consider.

Do interesting things pay the bills? Do I have to answer that question? The answer to both is NO

Quit dreaming up irrelevent fanciful notions. Get a job. A career. A degree. Make something of yourself. As an old crotchety German man said to a young street kid the other day "You think your parents vould be proud???" Well, do you? Would they be? I don't really care, so don't answer. Go eat some plain millet or better yet, a bowlful of dust. You can make it into cereal by adding some unfiltered heavily chlorinated water. Nothing but canned meat. A hat made of squirrel pelts. A car that runs off pure oil. A rusty nail through the foot. Go home and win the love of your cat by rescuing it from the brink of starvation with dog food.

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

#4191550 - 05/18/05 05:15 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Salvia hangover?  :tongue2:

--------------------

InvisibleRavus
Not an EggshellWalker
 User Gallery

#4191568 - 05/18/05 05:19 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Mixomatosis said:
:bitch:

--------------------

InvisibleEgo Death
Justadropofwaterinanendlesssea
 User Gallery

Loc: The War Machine
    #4191785 - 05/18/05 06:06 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Do you have to read this thread? No. :tongue:

You sir, are a bigot. :thumbdown:

What gives you the right to tell anybody to do anything? :thumbdown:

A great ape, you are indeed. :smirk:

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Amazon Shop for: Salvia

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology