Home | Community | Message Board

FreeSpores.com
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Political Discussion

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlineekomstop
Male User Gallery

Loc: Canada Flag
Heroic Galloway Blasts US Lies & Corruption
    #4190881 - 05/18/05 02:39 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Wow is all I can say.. To be honest I don't know very much about this guy..but it's about damn time somebody like this stood up and spoke for the truth live on national TV. Enjoy.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/video/2005/05/17/VI2005051700710.html

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlineekomstop
Male User Gallery

Loc: Canada Flag
Re: Heroic Galloway Blasts US Lies & Corruption [Re: ekomstop]
    #4190923 - 05/18/05 02:50 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

British MP Galloway Lashes
US In Oil-For-Food Probe
By Ken Guggenheim
Associated Press
5-19-5

WASHINGTON - British lawmaker George Galloway denounced U.S. senators on their home turf Tuesday, denying accusations that he profited from the U.N. oil-for-food program and accusing them of unfairly tarnishing his name.

Sen. Norm Coleman, R-Minn., questioned Galloway's honesty and told reporters, "If in fact he lied to this committee, there will have to be consequences."

Galloway's appearance was an odd spectacle on Capitol Hill: A legislator from a friendly nation, voluntarily testifying under oath, without immunity, at a combative congressional hearing where neither side showed much pretense of diplomatic niceties.

"Now, I know that standards have slipped over the last few years in Washington, but for a lawyer, you're remarkably cavalier with any idea of justice," Galloway told Coleman, chairman of the Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs investigation subcommittee.

He then accused Coleman of maligning his name before giving him a chance to defend himself and of using the oil-for-food investigation to hide the failures of U.S. policies in Iraq.

"Senator, this is the mother of all smoke screens," he said.

The panel is one of several congressional committees investigating allegations that Saddam Hussein manipulated the $64 billion oil-for-food program to get kickbacks and build international opposition to U.N. sanctions against Iraq imposed after Saddam's 1990 invasion of Kuwait. The program was created as an exception to the sanctions, allowing Saddam to sell oil and use the proceeds to buy food and other humanitarian items.

Coleman's panel last week released documents that it says shows that Galloway and other international figures received valuable oil allocations from Saddam to reward them for their opposition to sanctions. The allocations could be resold for a profit.

Among the officials identified besides Galloway were former French Interior Minister Charles Pasqua and Russian politician Vladimir Zhirinovsky, both of whom denied wrongdoing.

Coleman's subcommittee claimed that Galloway funneled allocations through the Mariam Appeal - a fund he established in 1998 to help a 4-year-old Iraqi girl suffering from leukemia " and received allocations worth 20 million barrels from 2000 to 2003. Coleman also alleged that Galloway was linked to kickbacks to Saddam, saying the Iraqi leader received more than $300,000 in surcharges on allocations involving Galloway.

Galloway vehemently rejected the accusations.

"You have nothing on me, senator, except my name on lists of names from Iraq, many of which have been drawn up after the installation of your puppet government in Baghdad," he said.

He said that Coleman's panel based some of its accusations on the same fake documents used by The Daily Telegraph newspaper, which he sued for libel and won a $1.4 million libel judgment. The committee says it used different documents.

Coleman pressed Galloway on his relationship with Jordanian businessman Fawaz Zureikat. Galloway described Zureikat as the second largest contributor to the Mariam Appeal, while congressional investigators consider him Galloway's intermediary in receiving oil proceeds.

Asked if he knew that Zureikat was involved in oil deals with Iraq in 2001, Galloway said he knew Zureikat was doing extensive business in Iraq, but didn't know the details.

When Coleman reacted skeptically, Galloway told him, "There are lots of contributors to your political campaign funds. I don't suppose you ask any of them how they made the money they give you."

Galloway also said it was "beyond the realm of the ridiculous" that he would give $300,000 in kickbacks to Saddam.

Speaking to reporters after the hearing, both Coleman and the panel's top Democrat, Sen. Carl Levin of Michigan, questioned Galloway's credibility. Asked if Galloway violated his oath to tell the truth before the committee, Coleman said, "I don't know. We'll have to look over the record."

Galloway has been an outspoken opponent of both Iraq wars and of the U.N. sanctions, which he said were killing innocent Iraqis. He was expelled from Prime Minister Tony Blair's Labour Party after urging British soldiers not to fight in Iraq. Galloway was recently re-elected to Parliament this month as a representative of his own anti-Iraq war Respect party.

Quotes From Galloway
To Senate Committee
BBC News
5-19-5

Here are some of the quotes from British MP George Galloway as he confronted his accusers on a US Senate sub-committee.

"Who paid me hundreds of thousands of dollars? The answer to that is nobody and if you had anybody who paid me a penny you would have produced them here today."

"I have met Saddam Hussein exactly the same number of times as Donald Rumsfeld met him. The difference is that Donald Rumsfeld met him to sell him guns and to give him maps the better to target those guns."

"You traduced my name around the world without ever having asked me a single question, without ever having contacted me, without ever having written to me or telephoned me, without any contact with me whatsoever and you call that justice."

"Senator [Norm Coleman, committee chairman], this is the mother of all smoke screens. You are trying to divert attention from the crimes that you supported from the theft of billions of dollars of Iraq's wealth."

"You have nothing on me Senator [Coleman], except my name on lists of names in Iraq, many of which were drawn up after the installation of your puppet government in Iraq."

"I have never seen a barrel of oil, owned one, bought one, sold one, and neither has anybody on my behalf."

"I know that standards have slipped over the last few years in Washington but for a lawyer you are remarkably cavalier with any idea of justice."

"One of the most serious mistakes you have made in this set of documents is such a schoolboy howler it makes a fool of the efforts you have made."

"Senator [Coleman], in everything I said about Iraq I turned out to be right and you turned out to be wrong and 100,000 have paid with their lives, 1,600 of them American soldiers sent to their deaths on a pack of lies."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/politics/4557279.stm

OfflineAldous
enthusiast
Male User Gallery

Loc: inside my skull
    #4190945 - 05/18/05 02:52 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Thanks for the link.

Something's very wrong when the fact that someone speaks plain truths is considered remarkable.

This shouldn't be delightful, it should be commonplace. But delightful it was...!  :thumbup:

OfflineAdamist
ℚṲℰϟ✞ЇѺℵ ℛ∃Åʟḯ†У
Male User Gallery

Loc: Bloomington, IN
    #4191319 - 05/18/05 04:27 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Woops... I just posted about the same story.

--------------------
:heartpump: { { { ṧ◎ηḯ¢ αʟ¢ℌ℮мƴ } } } :heartpump:

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

Loc: Dominican Republic
    #4191503 - 05/18/05 05:03 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

I don't see what is admirable here. A terrorist-loving grandstander uses the occasion of his grilling before a commission accusing him of accepting bribes from the biggest mass murderer of Muslims in modern history (perhaps in ALL history) to repeat all the same hoary old bullshit (Bush LIED yadda yadda yadda) rather than effectively refute the charges against him. He stonewalls on critical questions and instead attempts to divert the hearing into yet another Bush bash. Ho hum.

It's such a boringly standard tactic used by criminal defense attorneys since time immemorial -- when pinned to the wall in the face of airtight evidence, change the subject. Throw up a smokescreen. Shoot out a cloud of ink and hope to jet away before it dissipates.

Laughable that it is still being tried, more laughable still that anyone finds it remarkable.

Phred

--------------------

OfflineCatalysis
EtherealEngineer

#4192178 - 05/18/05 07:35 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Sounds like hes bitter about being busted. Why does he only bad mouth senators AFTER being called out for funneling unaccounted money through a charity?

InvisibleSilversoul
Rhizome
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Barricades
Re: Heroic Galloway Blasts US Lies & Corruption [Re: Catalysis]
    #4192214 - 05/18/05 07:44 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Catalysis said:
Sounds like hes bitter about being busted. Why does he only bad mouth senators AFTER being called out for funneling unaccounted money through a charity?

Maybe he was badmouthing them before, but no one was paying attention.

--------------------

OfflineAldous
enthusiast
Male User Gallery

Loc: inside my skull
Re: Heroic Galloway Blasts US Lies & Corruption [Re: Phred]
    #4194148 - 05/19/05 05:31 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

He was not exactly getting "grilled", since the commission which accused him didn't even invite him to defend himself. He invited himself to the commission, so he was not exactly being cornered.

OfflineGazzBut
Refraction

Loc: London UK
    #4194315 - 05/19/05 08:25 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

to repeat all the same hoary old bullshit (Bush LIED yadda yadda yadda)

Why did he tell the truth??? You need a serious reality check!

Quote:

rather than effectively refute the charges against him.

So are you equally unimpressed by the ridiculous comitee's inability to actually prove any of these charges?

He has already effectively refuted the bogus claims made by the Telegraph and sued them as mentioned above. It will be interesting to see how far this comitee gets in proving its so called case.

Lots and lots of lies and they all seem to originate from the same poisionous little portion of the earth...

--------------------
Always Smi2le

OfflineGazzBut
Refraction

Re: Heroic Galloway Blasts US Lies & Corruption [Re: Catalysis]
    #4194319 - 05/19/05 08:27 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

What are you talking about?? Galloway has been slamming all the pro-war people on both sides of the pond since the build up to operation oilthieves started.

--------------------
Always Smi2le

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

Re: Heroic Galloway Blasts US Lies & Corruption [Re: GazzBut]
    #4194560 - 05/19/05 10:37 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Some excerpts from http://thescotsman.scotsman.com/index.cfm?id=540962005 --

Quote:

George Galloway yesterday failed in his attempt to convince a sceptical US Senate investigative committee that he had not profited from oil dealings with Iraq under the UN?s controversial oil-for-food programme.

Despite a typically barnstorming performance full of bluster and rhetorical flourishes, the former Glasgow Kelvin MP was pinned down by persistent questioning over his business relationship with Fawaz Zureikat, the chairman of the Mariam Appeal - set up to assist a four-year-old Iraqi girl suffering from leukaemia.

And it was a Democrat senator, Carl Levin, rather than the Republican committee chairman, Norm Coleman, who gave him the hardest time as Mr Galloway sought to turn the tables on his inquisitors, leaving him no closer to clearing his name than when he took his seat in front of the sub-committee of the Senate?s homeland security and government affairs committee in Washington.

Time and again, Mr Levin questioned him, requesting wearily that he deliver a straight answer to a straight question. But Mr Galloway could, or would not.

The Respect MP clearly thought he came out on top, and said so bluntly afterwards, describing the chairman as "not much of a lyncher".

But Mr Coleman, accused by the MP of being "remarkably cavalier with any idea of justice", appeared unswayed by Mr Galloway?s testimony. "If in fact he lied to this committee, there will have to be consequences," he said afterwards.

Asked whether Mr Galloway violated his oath to tell the truth before the committee, Mr Coleman said: "I don?t know. We?ll have to look over the record. I just don?t think he was a credible witness."

The committee?s report on Mr Galloway?s alleged involvement, published to coincide with yesterday?s hearing, pulled few punches. Despite the MP?s denials, it said, the evidence showed that: "Iraq granted George Galloway allocations for millions of barrels of oil under the oil-for-food programme.

"Moreover, some evidence indicates that Galloway appeared to use a charity for children?s leukaemia to conceal payments associated with at least one such allocation. Lastly, according to senior Saddam officials, the oil allocations were granted by Iraq because of Galloway?s support for the Saddam regime and his opposition to UN sanctions."

Quote:

Under repeated questioning, Mr Galloway conceded that Mr Zureikat did have extensive business dealings with the Saddam regime but, challenged over whether his friend?s generous contributions to the Mariam Appeal - ?900,000 by his own previous assessments - could have come from the sale of oil, he stonewalled.

Urged to say if he would repay the cash if it could be proved to have come from such a source, he again ducked the question. Mr Galloway first met Mr Zureikat, a Jordanian businessman, through his now-estranged wife Amineh Abu-Zayyad, who had attended the same university in Jordan. The men became friends and set up the Mariam Appeal in 1998.

Phred

--------------------

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

#4224271 - 05/26/05 10:36 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Oh ho. Seems like someone has done their homework on the "heroic" Galloway. The screaming irony of Gorgeous George attempting to "blast corruption" becomes harder and harder to ignore:

http://www.seixon.com/blog/archives/2005/05/with_all_due_re.html

Read it all, check his carefully referenced supporting links, and draw your own conclusions about just how "heroic" Mr. Galloway really is, and just who is the "corrupt" actor in this slice of life.

Phred

--------------------

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Loc: Fractallife's gym
    #4227326 - 05/27/05 06:53 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

You beat me to it.

--------------------

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

#4847814 - 10/24/05 11:28 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Senate panel accuses British lawmaker
Galloway denies receiving money from Iraqi oil sales

From Liz Neisloss
CNN

Monday, October 24, 2005; Posted: 10:10 p.m. EDT (02:10 GMT)

UNITED NATIONS (CNN) -- A Senate report presented evidence Monday that it says links illegal oil money from deposed Iraqi dictator Saddam Hussein's regime to the political campaign of a British lawmaker and to the accounts of his Jordanian wife.

The report accused British Member of Parliament George Galloway of lying under oath about the payments.

The 65-page report by the U.S. Senate Permanent Subcommittee on Investigations accuses Galloway of perjury and obstruction of congressional proceedings. The evidence will be handed over to the Department of Justice for possible criminal charges.

Galloway -- a left-wing politician known for his theatrical rhetoric and fierce debating style -- appeared voluntarily before the Senate panel on May 17 and denied having taken any money.

His appearance followed the release of a report by the subcommittee alleging that Hussein's government granted Galloway vouchers for some 20 million barrels of oil.

At the time, he challenged the chairman, Sen. Norm Coleman, a Minnesota Republican, to show evidence beyond what had been presented that day, which he called a "schoolboy howler."

"What counts is not the names on the paper; what counts is: Where is the money, senator? Who paid me hundreds of thousands of dollars of money? The answer to that is 'nobody,'" Galloway said at the time.

"And if you had anybody who ever paid me a penny, you would have produced them here today."

He said the investigation was intended to divert attention from the "pack of lies" that led to the Iraq invasion in 2003.

The subcommittee responded Monday in the report, which was sent by Coleman's office to the news media.

The report alleges:

? Galloway sought and received vouchers to sell Iraqi oil on eight occasions between 1999 and 2003 for a total of 23 million barrels.

? Galloway's now estranged wife, Dr. Amineh Abu-Zayyad, received roughly $150,000 in oil money.

? Galloway's political campaign, the Mariam Appeal, received at least $446,000.

? Hussein's regime got kickbacks of more than $1.6 million from the oil allotted to Galloway and the Mariam Appeal for sale in violation of U.N. sanctions.

? Galloway "knowingly made false or misleading statements under oath" before the subcommittee.

The report says Jordanian businessman Fawaz Zureikat, a friend of Galloway, "transferred a significant portion" of money from an oil deal under the oil-for-food program to Galloway's wife and Galloway's Mariam Appeal

He set up the organization in 1998 to raise money for medical aid for Iraq and to campaign against the imposition of sanctions on Iraq.

That foundation was named after Mariam Hamza, a child flown from Iraq to Britain by the fund to get treatment for leukemia.

'Groundhog Day'

Congressional investigators say Galloway and his wife deny receiving any money from oil sales.

CNN has been unable to reach Galloway for a response.

Galloway, a member of the House of Commons, told a reporter for the Times of London on Monday that he had already dealt with the allegations from Coleman's committee and said, "It's Groundhog Day."

Referring to Coleman, Galloway told the British paper, "For a lawyer, he seems to have a strange sense of justice. ... Hell clearly hath no fury than a U.S. senator humiliated. It's a sneak revenge attack of the most contemptible kind."

Coleman's subcommittee is one of a handful to probe the United Nations oil-for-food program and push for U.N. reform.

The program sought to ease the toll of sanctions imposed by the United Nations after the 1991 Persian Gulf War by allowing Iraq to sell oil to provide revenue for humanitarian needs.

The program lasted from 1996 to 2003, when Hussein was deposed, and generated $64 billion in U.N.-monitored oil sales. Hussein subverted U.N. controls by extorting surcharges on the oil sales and kickbacks on the goods purchased.

Aziz testimony

In an interview with subcommittee members on July 7, former Iraqi Foreign Minister Tariq Aziz said, "The oil allocations we gave to George Galloway were in the name of either [Buhan Al-Chalabi] or to [Fawaz] Zureikat."

The report described the men as agents for Galloway.

Aziz also said allocations -- which gave the right to sell specific amounts of Iraqi oil -- were "for the benefit of George Galloway and for Mariam's Appeal. The proceeds from the sale benefited the cause and Mr. Galloway."

According to the report, the plan worked like this: A Swiss oil trading company, Taurus Petroleum, bought the allocated oil and then transferred a "sizable commission payment to Zureikat."

Zureikat then forwarded a portion of the commission to the Mariam Appeal, and in one transaction forwarded roughly $150,000 to Galloway's wife.

The report further alleges that Zureikat would pay any illegal surcharges to the Hussein regime.

In his subcommittee testimony, Galloway declared, "I have never seen a barrel of oil, owned one, bought one, sold one and neither has anybody on my behalf."

The report includes a Citibank notice detailing a transfer of funds from Taurus Petroleum to Fawaz Zureikat in July 2000.

The report then documents transfers in August 2000 when it says Zureikat made a $150,000 wire transfer to Galloway's wife at Arab Bank in Amman, Jordan.

The report says Aziz recalled that Galloway "requested the Iraqi government to provide financial support for the Mariam Appeal in order to defray the expenses associated with conducting the campaign."

Aziz also said Galloway expressed concern about the appearance of taking money directly from the Iraqi government but that in December 1999 he asked for an increase in his oil allocations. Aziz told investigators there was a slight increase, "but not very much."

In response to questions from the subcommittee, the report says, Galloway confirmed he had appointed Zureikat as his representative in Baghdad on matters related to the Mariam Appeal.

The report includes excerpts from witness interviews, including an unidentified oil trader who says Galloway approached him to explain how the oil voucher system worked and how the vouchers could be translated into commissions.

The oil trader told investigators that in a meeting in his office he was "100 percent sure" that Zureikat was negotiating on behalf of Galloway to sell oil, the report says.

After a preliminary offer was drafted between the trader and Zureikat, the deal fell through, the report says.

The report also says Galloway failed to register his oil-for-food interests under the Code of Conduct for Members of Parliament, which would require that he disclose gifts received by a spouse with a value exceeding 550 British pounds.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/POLITICS/10/24/galloway.accused/index.html

Yep... Gorgeous George is looking more "heroic" all the time...

Phred

--------------------

InvisibleAlex213
Stranger
    #4848557 - 10/25/05 02:37 AM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Why do you keep posting the same story as reported by different mainstream news sources? Do you think repeating it makes it anymore true?

Every mainstream news source posted stories about the existence of WMD. That didn't make it true.

InvisibleAlex213
Stranger
    #4848575 - 10/25/05 02:42 AM (11 years, 8 months ago)

A terrorist-loving

Source?

biggest mass murderer of Muslims in modern history (perhaps in ALL history)

Source?

same hoary old bullshit (Bush LIED

You still believe Bush was telling the truth about Iraq? Even now? Seriously?

when pinned to the wall in the face of airtight evidence

Evidence such as that produced by the newspapers who first reported the story who now accept it was a forgery?

Laughable that it is still being tried

When you have shown your ass invading a country illegally on a false basis that is now in an utter catastrophe your best plan of attack is to pursue diversionary tactics. Expect this story to run and run.

OfflineGazzBut
Refraction

#4848824 - 10/25/05 03:46 AM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

the biggest mass murderer of Muslims in modern history (perhaps in ALL history)

Hyperbolic bullshit?

--------------------
Always Smi2le

Invisiblebukkake
LEFT WING NUT
Male

Loc: Classified
Re: Heroic Galloway Blasts US Lies & Corruption [Re: Alex213]
    #4849235 - 10/25/05 07:08 AM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Alex213 said:
A terrorist-loving

Source?

biggest mass murderer of Muslims in modern history (perhaps in ALL history)

Source?

Saddam. Galloway loved Saddam. He's a nut, left-wing or right-wing. But his rant at the end of that video is brilliant, though it'll just be ignored, per usual.

Offlinelonestar2004
Live to party,work to affordit.
 User Gallery

Loc: South Texas
    #4849545 - 10/25/05 11:10 AM (11 years, 8 months ago)

--------------------
America's debt problem is a "sign of leadership failure"

We have "reckless fiscal policies"

America has a debt problem and a failure of leadership.

Americans deserve better

Barack Obama

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Political Discussion