Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineSneezingPenis
ACHOOOOOOOOO!!!!!111!
 User Gallery Arcade Champion: BMX Tricks
mind, body, and spirit
    #4189760 - 05/18/05 04:32 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

intellect, health and theology.....

These make up the self. Keeping them in an equal balance will result in happiness.

I am having trouble doing this...

Focusing just on one aspect creates a monster. With intellect you can become a pretentious know-it-all, with spirituality, you can become a religious zealot....and with body you become one of those mirror hungry gym buffs.

With each of these, the more you solely focus on one, the more insatiable you become with it.

I guess I am just wondering if anyone has found a really good way at keeping all of these in balance...

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlineegghead1
Nakedly Open

Loc: The Womb of Love
Re: mind, body, and spirit [Re: SneezingPenis]
    #4189783 - 05/18/05 04:44 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Let go of the idea of a self-existing entitiy. Then all of these identifications dissolve. This is more dificult then it seems becuase we have to habbit of idntifying this idea of a "self" with all of our experience. The simple way is to let go of this identification, not by nihilistic detachment, but by the habbit of relaxed observation of thought. Balance can only come from realizing that none of these selves or identifications have any real substance, they have no essence, and bear no correlation to how you actually are. In essence everything is interdepdnant upon everything else, and nothing manifests independantly of itself.  :heart:

--------------------
All you need is Love! Really thats it! Infinite Unconditional Love! Just develop that and all else will fall into place perfectly!

OfflineSneezingPenis
ACHOOOOOOOOO!!!!!111!
 User Gallery Arcade Champion: BMX Tricks
Re: mind, body, and spirit [Re: egghead1]
    #4189791 - 05/18/05 04:47 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

good in theory, but put that in action and you are either ignorant, fat or agnostic....

Offlineegghead1
Nakedly Open

#4189803 - 05/18/05 04:53 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

How So?:confused:

Put it into action and you may actually come to realize who you really are free from all these delusive projections of self.

--------------------
All you need is Love! Really thats it! Infinite Unconditional Love! Just develop that and all else will fall into place perfectly!

InvisibleeMotionALLmotion
DivineeMotive....

Loc: The Symphony of Lights......
Mind, Spirit, and Pimplez.... [Re: SneezingPenis]
    #4189965 - 05/18/05 06:48 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

If ya~ balance them out to well, you will end up being a....: 
Pretentious know-it-all religious zealot mirror hungry gym buff....
:muppet:

:sun:

--------------------
Uni-VersALL      MasterPeace
eMotive  :sun: Divinity NowThere Infinity :sun:  eMelody

InvisibleIcelander
The Minstrel in the Gallery
Male

Loc: underbelly
Re: Mind, Spirit, and Pimplez.... [Re: eMotionALLmotion]
    #4190027 - 05/18/05 07:55 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

I guess I am just wondering if anyone has found a really good way at keeping all of these in balance...

I have found that a very large dose of mushrooms every 6 months or so will do the trick. :thumbup: :mushroom2:

Or get a great girlfriend to give you reality checks. :grin:

Both work well for me, like you say though, it's challenging. :sun:

--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

OfflineOldWoodSpecter
waiting
Male

Loc: mountains and lakes
Re: Mind, Spirit, and Pimplez.... [Re: Icelander]
    #4190029 - 05/18/05 07:58 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

I balance both my mind and my body to my spirit, or is it only my body to my mind, don't know, depends on if I do have a spirit or not.

My body reflects my mind

this is not balance, it is priority on mind/spirit

--------------------
I descend upon your earth from the skies
I command your very souls you unbelievers
Bring before me what is mine

OfflineNomad
Mad Robot

#4190046 - 05/18/05 08:18 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Neglecting the body, I try to balance intellect against spirit.

Invisibleredtailedhawk
Explorer of the Mystery
 User Gallery

Loc: The Old Continent
    #4190155 - 05/18/05 09:59 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

This is a great topic!

This is a four-element theory called quaternity, based on the work of Carl Jung and lately by Karla McLaren. They both argue(d) that wholeness of ones personality (and societies) includes mastery of different aspects of the self: body as the earth or the physical world, intellect or the mind as the air, emotions as water and spirit as fire.

Modern societies and their members live in one- or maybe two-element systems. Athletes focus on their bodies and mostly ignore the development of the mind, intellectuals ignore the body and mark emotions as worthless parts of mind, scientists laugh at faith and mysticism, emotional people ignore the logic of their mind, spiritual people try to overcome the limitations of their bodies and this earthly existence, etc.

There are very few people out there that give the proper respect to all of the four elements. That would work on their bodies as athletes do, on their emotions as artists do, on their mind as the philosophers do and on their spirits as the mystics do. Neither of these elements is ?better? than any other and overemphasis of any of them always leads to trouble. On the other hand emphasis on all of them leads to true mastery and respect of life.

I for one have an overdeveloped mind and spirit element and very undeveloped body and emotional flow. To get more whole I joined the local gym and I?m now working out three times per week. I?m also paying more attention and respect to my feelings instead of just stuffing them down with alcohol, TV, or obsessive reading as I used to do. This all sucks since everybody in the gym is much bigger than me and every chick out there has more emotional IQ than I have, but a man?s gotta do what a man?s gotta do.

Suggested reading:

Karla McLaren: Emotional genius
Carl Jung: The Essential Jung

--------------------

"Who are you who live in all these many forms? You're death that captures all. You too are the source of all that's gonna be born. You're glory, mercy, peace, truth. You give calm a spirit, understanding, courage, the contented heart."

InvisibleIcelander
The Minstrel in the Gallery
Male

Loc: underbelly
Re: mind, body, and spirit [Re: redtailedhawk]
    #4190169 - 05/18/05 10:03 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

:thumbup:

--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

OfflineGomp
¡(Bound to·(O))be free!
Male User Gallery

Loc: I re·side [primarily] in...
    #4190298 - 05/18/05 11:16 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

spirit, is our mind, through the body..? :P (as the soul?)

--------------------

--------------------
Disclaimer!?

Invisiblegettinjiggywithit
jiggy
Female User Gallery

Loc: Heart of Laughter
Re: mind, body, and spirit [Re: redtailedhawk]
    #4190420 - 05/18/05 12:16 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

You are the first to even add emotions to the mix. I was wondering why they were left out until your reply.

We have emotions for a reason. To neglect them is surely a way to throw yourself out of balance.

They are not difficult to tend to and can tell us so much about what is going on within our physical body, intellect and spirit.

When tending to any of the other three, just ask yourself, how do I feel about this, what am I feeling related to this. Our emotions gives us a lot of insight and guiding feedback.

The other aspect is paying attention to them and caring for them. If we don't we may do foolish things looking for others to pay attention to them for us.

For all one knows, they feed the mind because their emotional body never dealt with someone calling them dumb or ignorant and they are over compensating for a hurt. One may be working out to deal with feeling inadequate on the meat market and are over compensating for lack in the emotional, spiritual or mental department. One may be overcompensating in the spiritual department because as a material human, they feel unworthy or like they don't "fit in".

On the flip side one might be working out because they feel adequate and the body is reflecting it. They may feed the mind because they feel intelligent and the action reflects it. They may commune with spirit because they feel its joy and freedom.

We are motivated to do all we do by our emotions. To be in neglect or ignorance of your emotions and its motivations for all of your behavior can leave you with a sense of being lost in this world, not knowing, who you are , why you are where you are or why you are doing the things you do.

Don't just let the rational mind answer those questions for you. Let your heart answer them as well and get those two working together.

The heart will tell us when the mind is being irrational and the mind will tell us when the heart is being irrational.

We are not raised to have the two in communication keeping each other in check and balance. This is a huge challenge to master if you have been in neglect or ignorance of the emotional body your whole life.

Like it or not, the emotional body is just as much a body we carry around with us like the physical, mental and spiritual. You can't just stuff it in a closet when you don't want to deal with it or reason it away when your mind doesn't want to listen to what it is telling you.

Just wanted to say that its a vital player in the balancing out of the holistic being.

--------------------
Ahuwale ka nane huna.

Offlineegghead1
Nakedly Open

Re: mind, body, and spirit [Re: gettinjiggywithit]
    #4190781 - 05/18/05 02:03 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Very Good Post  :thumbup: :heart:  :wink:

--------------------

OfflineMixomatosis
great ape

Loc: cipherland
Re: mind, body, and spirit [Re: egghead1]
    #4191398 - 05/18/05 04:40 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

mind body spirit are all just arbitrary lines someone drew in order to give us some ideas. It's an interesting paradigm to ponder and work with and we can learn from thinking this kind of way, but ultimately, you are what you are, and you'll never directly percieve your self as a 2:3:1 pie chart of mind:body:spirit, so let that go. This is it and that's not a bad thing.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology