Home | Community | Message Board

Myco Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Rye Grain

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Popcorn with tyvek
    #4189630 - 05/18/05 03:22 AM (11 years, 5 months ago)

I knocked up some QT of popcorn with various strains. I only have tyvek on the top no lid.

It seems as though the jars are dried after 4 days in the incubator. THere is no wetspot(not the bacteria) around the kernal when its touching the glass, and if i shake it a little it does kinda sound like its dry.

Has anyone ran into this problem just using tyvek? Can i just throw the whole jar into a spawn bag that has the right moisutre or will it mess up the ratio?

Only one showing signs of growth is PR but its like little white dots everywhere and its seems to be slowing.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Loc: AZ
Re: Popcorn with tyvek [Re: Liquidkick]
    #4189659 - 05/18/05 03:34 AM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Hey there. I did the same thing, pc w/ tyvek. how funny. But I had the opposite problem. Mine did get the waterspots, and now they all gone soggy and stinky. Did you pressurecook? I didn't. Thats why mine went to shit. how long it been since sterilization? Try innoculating with a syringe. maybe the water from it will be the perfect touch.

Re: Popcorn with tyvek [Re: dalorean]
    #4189688 - 05/18/05 03:50 AM (11 years, 5 months ago)

PCed, inoculated 4 days ago, only PR strain shows growth after 1 day, now looks like it is slowing dramactically. I really have never had success with any type of jars. I have more sucess with bags for some reason. Oh BTW, i did have the wetspots but they quickly disappeared when it was in the incubator. Which leaves me to believe that the popcorn is drying out fast.

I have a big rye bag getting prepared so i think i will dump the corn into it. The PR anyway, and wait the other ones out just in case.

THere is no longer a "grain smell" coming from the jars. No smell at all. The bag that i have full of popcorn has the "grain smell" still after 15 days and is colonizing well....

So i might just do jars of rye and bags of popcorn, if the rye doesn't turn out well then i will just ditch jars all together. I also have some karo water in some jars knocked up a few days ago showing no growth either...

Edited by Liquidkick (05/18/05 03:52 AM)

Dementia praecox
 User Gallery

Loc: Nowhere
Re: Popcorn with tyvek [Re: Liquidkick]
    #4189717 - 05/18/05 04:07 AM (11 years, 5 months ago)

I had that same problem with all grains when using just tyvek and metal ring.

Next time you could take the metal disk part of the lid and cut a couple 1/8"-1/4" holes in it. Put it over the tyvek, under the ring. Put tape over the hole after inoculation. Or something like that.

Good luck :cool:

I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
Hunter S. Thompson

It's always tea-time, and we've no time to wash the things between whiles.

Don't be a fool, this is a war on drugs. Act like. The government sure does!

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Popcorn with tyvek [Re: MrMaddHatter]
    #4189727 - 05/18/05 04:14 AM (11 years, 5 months ago)

I put mine in a plastic bag and let the air out once a day. I put my mouth on the filter disc and suck, which sucks the CO2 air out and forces new air in through the filter. I also spray the filters with dilute bleach every few days so contams don't grow on the sometimes moist disc

support the free spore ring http://fsre.nl/

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Rye Grain

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation