Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]
InvisibleKingOftheThing
the cool fool
 User Gallery

Loc: USA
ideologically driven moderation
    #4188875 - 05/17/05 09:11 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

i made this post in pa&l

Quote:

army recruitment is down by 42% , where are all these sons and daughters of bush supporters?? i mean come on, there is no greater prize than dying for your fearless leader's cause!!! and look at the chickenhwaks in this forums, still justifying the war and babbling on. come one zappaisgod, jesuschrist , whoeever else, stop posting in here and suit up. its time to go kill "terrorists" lets go!

i think its valid to ask why all these people sit here posting about how great the war is and not going and fighting to "protect" us themselves. plus im bringing up the point recruitment it down. then this guy zappa starts asking to fight me IRL , a threat?? he says :

Quote:

I'm almost 50 but if you really want to, we can go around . You better pack a lunch though, cause it'll probably take longer than you think.

and (keep in mind i never said a thing about fighting this guy)

Quote:

But I'll go around with you if it means that much to you. I don't care. Let me know when you're near NYC. I'll take the day.

then this mod Phred who clearly states he is a right winger all the time says this to me

Quote:

KoTT, what is the purpose of this thread?

What is the point you are trying to discuss? What is the point you wish to get across? Because barging in here and trying to stir up shit with your pseudo-macho poseur routine isn't permitted.

This thread is locked. If you start another one with the same attitude, you'll be banned. If you really want to discuss some possible reasons why recruitment is claimed to be down 42% for the year (from what standard, by the way?) feel free to do so in a calm and rational manner.

Phred

and locks my thread?? how was what i said not rational?? it is a point where are the conservative children of all these bush voters, if recruitment is down by almost half?? that was my point and i included to ask why people advocating the killing dont go kill?? then i get insulted by a right wing mod and my thread locked?? ah i see how it works in there  :wink:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflinePsilygirl
cyan goddess
 User Gallery

Loc: PNW
Re: ideologically driven moderation [Re: KingOftheThing]
    #4188947 - 05/17/05 09:21 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

thats cause pa&L mods are all righties, it's why I dont tango in there, it drives me nuts

--------------------
"Love says 'I am everything.' Wisdom says 'I am nothing.' Between the two, my life flows."

Puget Sound Mycological Society

InvisibleKingOftheThing
the cool fool
 User Gallery

Re: ideologically driven moderation [Re: Psilygirl]
    #4188972 - 05/17/05 09:24 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Psilygirl said:
thats cause pa&L mods are all righties, it's why I dont tango in there, it drives me nuts

it really isnt fair...id suggest making me a mod because i read that shit all the time and am on the left...a good foil to the rest of em...but they would probably shoot themselves in the face before giving me a flag  :tongue:

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

Loc: Dominican Republic
    #4189107 - 05/17/05 09:57 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Here's a link to the thread in question --

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/4187950/an/0/page/0

I suggest those who think KOtT might have a point do themselves a favor and read not just his opening post, but his belligerent and provocative behavior throughout the entire thread, then make up their own minds.

I didn't edit the posts, I didn't delete the thread, I didn't ban him for his direct provocation of Shroomery members by name. Instead I locked the thread, told him why it was being locked, and told him he was perfectly free to start another rational one on the topic of declining recruitment for the US Army. I (and one other poster) also advised him it might be a good idea to provide some kind of source for his specific claim that recruitment was down 42%.

Statements such as:

Quote:

and look at the chickenhwaks (sic) in this forums (sic), still justifying the war and babbling on. come one (sic) zappaisgod, jesuschrist , whoeever (sic) else, stop posting in here and suit up. its time to go kill "terrorists" lets (sic) go!

and

Quote:

50 isnt (sic) too old to got (sic) shoot towel heads, and what about a son?? send him, to die for his leader, it will be a great honor

and

Quote:

nono that daughter has to go, i mean havent (sic) you told her how important it is to fight in iraq?

Quote:

ohhh but i forgot you have a support our troops ribbon on your car, that changes everything. you really are doing all you can

are not acceptable discussion tactics. They are personal attacks on individual members designed to stir up shit. It is trollish behavior. That kind of behavior is accepted in OTD. It isn't accepted in PA&L. And KOtT knows that.

KOtT, if it is important to you that you feel good about a claimed decline in US Army recruitment, you are of course free to proclaim your pleasure at this news. But if you are going to do it in the PA&L forum, you will do it in a civil and rational manner, not like some drunken biker looking to pick a fight in a saloon.

And it would do your remaining credibility a world of good if you could provide for your audience a post of mine wherein I describe my politics as "right wing" even once, let alone "all the time". Any post will do.

Phred

--------------------

InvisibleKingOftheThing
the cool fool
 User Gallery

Re: ideologically driven moderation [Re: Phred]
    #4189136 - 05/17/05 10:06 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

you expouse right wing points of view on a regular basis. also isnt it valid to ask why people who are war monegering are not fighitng?? isnt that what a chickhawk is?? its not a personal attack to ask someone why they arent fighting in a war. that's a question

InvisibleKingOftheThing
the cool fool
 User Gallery

#4189137 - 05/17/05 10:07 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

NOTHING i said was against forum rules....

OfflineRedstorm
Prince of Bugs
Male

Folding@home Statistics
    #4189143 - 05/17/05 10:10 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

You're not supposed to call people out in PAL. I think I remember one of the mods saying to attack the post, not the poster.

InvisibleKingOftheThing
the cool fool
 User Gallery

Re: ideologically driven moderation [Re: Redstorm]
    #4189148 - 05/17/05 10:11 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

well then a simple edit would suffice...not some ban threat

OfflineRedstorm
Prince of Bugs
Male

Folding@home Statistics
    #4189151 - 05/17/05 10:12 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

:shrug:

InvisibleKingOftheThing
the cool fool
 User Gallery

#4189154 - 05/17/05 10:14 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

yeah he's just embarassed because he knows no righties are sending their kids to iraq  :tongue:

1) NO FLAMING ...if you can't state your case or refute someone elses case without calling them "stupid" or an "idiot"..etc...Then don't bother posting here. This forum is for intelligent debate, not to try to belittle someone that doesn't think like you. THIS WILL BE STRICTLY ENFORCED ... If you have been warned already, you will receive a temporary ban, if you continue to flame you will be banned permanently...choose your words wisely or suffer the consequences.

now i ddint flame

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

#4189181 - 05/17/05 10:21 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

NOTHING i said was against forum rules....

Calling people "chickenhawk" is not a flame? Uh huh.

If what you had posted had been blatantly against forum rules, you would have been banned. Instead, I merely locked the thread. I didn't dump it -- people can still read your rant if they are interested in doing so. And you always have the option of starting a new thread to continue expressing your opinions on your as yet unverified claim that US Army recruitment is down 42% -- so long as you do so in a civil manner. Since it appears to be a matter of some importance to you, I suggest you give it a shot.

Phred

--------------------

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

#4189194 - 05/17/05 10:24 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

So you were unable to find a single instance of me "clearly stat(ing) he is a right winger all the time"?

I thought not.

Phred

--------------------

InvisibleGnuBobo
Frilly Cuffs Extraordinaire
 User Gallery

Loc: Charisma
    #4189205 - 05/17/05 10:27 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Redstorm said:
You're not supposed to call people out in PAL. I think I remember one of the mods saying to attack the post, not the poster.

Yeah.  Baby_Hitler bannzored my ass for 24 hours after I used the :stonedjerk: smiley and with a bit of good-natured sarcasm.

--------------------
Jerry Garcia. JERRY GARCIA! JERRY GARCIA!!!!

InvisibleKingOftheThing
the cool fool
 User Gallery

#4189238 - 05/17/05 10:35 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Phred said:
So you were unable to find a single instance of me "clearly stat(ing) he is a right winger all the time"?

I thought not.

Phred

why is it that called out mods always just start with this crap?? you know what side you argue for 99% of the time...and no chickenhawk isnt an insult, it is a word that describes someone who is for war but doesnt fight. its not idiot, moron , faggot, etc.... and i wasnt given a chance to provide any links bedause my thread was locked

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

#4189299 - 05/17/05 10:53 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

What "crap" are you talking about? You said that I "clearly state" that I am a "right winger" "all the time". Not only do I not clearly state it all the time, I have never stated it even once. If you're going to lie about what I post, expect to be called on it. You got owned. Suck it up and move on.

As for not being "given a chance to provide any links", what part of

Quote:

And you always have the option of starting a new thread to continue expressing your opinions on your as yet unverified claim that US Army recruitment is down 42% -- so long as you do so in a civil manner. Since it appears to be a matter of some importance to you, I suggest you give it a shot.

are you having difficulty grasping? You want to continue discussing the alleged declining enrollment, by all means start a new thread. Just make it a civil thread.

This is the same whine I get all the time from those whose political views differ from mine. "Waaaa! You closed my thread because you disagree with my viewpoint! You banned me cuz I'm a Leftie!"

That's a crock of horseshit, and you know it's a crock of horseshit. To try to brush off my chastisement of your boorish behavior by claiming I only do it because I disagree with your ideology is weak and lame. If I were to lock even a fraction of the posts made by people whose politics differ from my own the forum would have about seventy-five per cent locked threads... and you know that too.

The reason I locked your thread was because you were acting like a dickhead. Nothing more complex about it than that. That's it, that's all. No Karl Rove behind the scenes, no vast right wing conspiracy at work here. Look, I have invited you repeatedly to open a new thread on the exact same topic, but a civil one this time. Why don't you do that and see whether or not I lock it? I mean, you obviously feel this is news of some import. Don't let the locking of your first sneering attempt stand in the way of your mission. Go for it.

Phred

--------------------

InvisibleKingOftheThing
the cool fool
 User Gallery

#4189316 - 05/17/05 11:01 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

wow another whole bunch of carefully crafted well worded BS. let me go back and pull up all those Great_Satan threads you didnt lock, that were twice as inflammatory than anything i have ever posted.also i wasnt the one who wanted to fight anyone in that thread.

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

#4189337 - 05/17/05 11:12 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Just what is it you are trying to accomplish here? Are you trying to claim some kind of censorship or something? How is what Great_Satan said or didn't say relevant to you being a dickhead now?

For your information, I myself banned Great_Satan. More than once. This can be confirmed by any mod or admin who wants to waste the time to look through the banning logs.

Why are you having such a hard time understanding that

1) you didn't get banned for this
2) your thoughts on the matter are still there -- completely unedited -- for everyone to see just as you originally wrote them
3) I am freaking encouraging you to continue posting on the topic (in a civil manner)

What more do you want?

Look, the simple fact of the matter as anyone who reads the whole thread can see is you came on like some hillbilly looking to pick a fight. The thread quickly degenerated into a pissing contest likely to end up in both you and zappa getting banned, so I locked the damn thing, told you to do it right, and went on my way. Next thing I know you're in here crying for the waaaaambulance. Christ on a crutch, man! Suck it up. Deal with it. Move on.

If it's important to you to make some kind of point about an alleged decline in the enrollment in the US armed services, by all means BE MY GUEST! How much more plainly can I put that? Should I type more slowly or what?

Phred

--------------------

InvisibleKingOftheThing
the cool fool
 User Gallery

#4189426 - 05/17/05 11:59 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

most of those right wing mods like pinkshark defended great_satan even though they KNEW he was a puppet. that's how it works in that forum, moderation based on POV. and you shouldnt have locked the thread period. NO rules were violated. excpet zappaisgod trying to get me to drive to NY to fight him

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

#4189482 - 05/18/05 12:20 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Dude, give it up. What part of "I myself banned Great_Satan. More than once," are you having difficulty comprehending? Put down the crack pipe, read slowly, and try to comprehend the message your eyes are passing to your brain.

Your claim that the moderation in PA&L is driven by ideology is a crock. You're just whining because it seems beyond your capability to express a thought without being belligerent about it.

For the last time -- FEEL FREE TO START A NEW THREAD ABOUT YOUR PRECIOUS TOPIC. BE CIVIL. IF YOU ARE CIVIL, ALL WILL BE WELL.

Wait a minute. Maybe this will help:

FEEL FREE TO START A NEW THREAD ABOUT YOUR PRECIOUS TOPIC. BE CIVIL. IF YOU ARE CIVIL, ALL WILL BE WELL.

Peace out.

Phred

--------------------

InvisibleSilversoul
Rhizome
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Barricades
    #4189490 - 05/18/05 12:22 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Psilygirl said:
thats cause pa&L mods are all righties

If by "all" you mean one of the four mods in the forum.

--------------------

InvisibleSilversoul
Rhizome
Male User Gallery

#4189507 - 05/18/05 12:28 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

KOTT: You do tend to be a bit confrontational, and I can see how that post could be construed as baiting. I disagree with the decision Phred made, but I can understand it.

Phred: My understanding is that flaming is directed at a specific poster, not a generalized group of people. If that's flaming, then so are numerous attacks I've seen made against "libbies" over the course of the time I've been posting there.

--------------------

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

Re: ideologically driven moderation [Re: Silversoul]
    #4189569 - 05/18/05 12:51 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

So you think the juxtaposition of "chickenhawks" in one sentence followed by two Shroomery members by name in the next was accidental? An argument could perhaps be made for that interpretation, I suppose.

But read the whole thread, Paradigm, then get back to me. Pay particular attention to the progression of KOtT's first daring a middle-aged man to go shoot "towelheads", followed by daring the same man to send his son to go shoot towelheads, followed by daring the same man to send his daughter to go shoot towelheads -- even after it was stated clearly that the daughter is

-- a whopping 15 years old
-- possessed of her own free will and the intelligence to make up her own mind on the matter

Apparently KOtT is of the opinion zapp's daughter is to be treated by her father as some kind of chattel and ordered about as if she lived in a Muslim family.

This is rational discussion? Hardly.

I repeat -- the thread degenerated into a shitfest from the get go, as was inevitable given the belligerent nature of the opening post. Rather than let it continue to the point where it became necessary to ban two members, I locked it. Note -- I locked it. I didn't edit it, I didn't delete it, I didn't ban anyone, and I even invited KOtT to start over in a sane manner. Repeatedly.

This is a tempest in a teapot and is my last post on the matter. Life is too short to coddle the weak.

Phred

--------------------

OfflineRoseM
Devil's Advocate
Female User Gallery

Loc: Mod not God Flag
    #4189581 - 05/18/05 12:58 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Psilygirl said:

Fuck you!

I'm a lefty, and Hitler is a LeftiST! Hail Hitler!

Phred's left-handed...

Rono's just shell-shocked.

--------------------
Fiddlesticks.

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

Re: ideologically driven moderation [Re: Rose]
    #4189586 - 05/18/05 01:00 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

She sure is lucky Rono hasn't seen that slander yet. He'll whack her upside the head with his seal club.

Phred

--------------------

InvisibleSilversoul
Rhizome
Male User Gallery

#4189602 - 05/18/05 01:10 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Phred said:
So you think the juxtaposition of "chickenhawks" in one sentence followed by two Shroomery members by name in the next was accidental? An argument could perhaps be made for that interpretation, I suppose.

But read the whole thread, Paradigm, then get back to me. Pay particular attention to the progression of KOtT's first daring a middle-aged man to go shoot "towelheads", followed by daring the same man to send his son to go shoot towelheads, followed by daring the same man to send his daughter to go shoot towelheads -- even after it was stated clearly that the daughter is

-- a whopping 15 years old
-- possessed of her own free will and the intelligence to make up her own mind on the matter

Apparently KOtT is of the opinion zapp's daughter is to be treated by her father as some kind of chattel and ordered about as if she lived in a Muslim family.

This is rational discussion? Hardly.

I repeat -- the thread degenerated into a shitfest from the get go, as was inevitable given the belligerent nature of the opening post. Rather than let it continue to the point where it became necessary to ban two members, I locked it. Note -- I locked it. I didn't edit it, I didn't delete it, I didn't ban anyone, and I even invited KOtT to start over in a sane manner. Repeatedly.

This is a tempest in a teapot and is my last post on the matter. Life is too short to coddle the weak.

I think he made some weak points, but I wouldn't call it flaming. If being irrational was worthy of having a thread locked, no threads would stay open. I could understand locking it if you gave them a warning first. I think they deserve at least that much.

--------------------

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Loc: Fractallife's gym
Re: ideologically driven moderation [Re: Silversoul]
    #4190003 - 05/18/05 05:23 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Just as a clarification, at no time did I state a desire to fight KOTT. I merely said I would oblige him if he really wanted to. I'm not afraid.

--------------------

Invisiblenewuser1492
    #4190050 - 05/18/05 06:22 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

I interpreted the thread as inflammatory and I could easily imagine how others would feel the same. The posts by zappa seemed much more out of line and I wonder why he wasn't warned as was KoTT in the final post by Phred.

The statement army recruitment is down by 42% was not backed by evidence which is another reason the post seemed inflammatory or even possibly a troll. But once again zappa chose on his own to enter into the conversation and at the very least continue the degradation into petty bickering.

OfflineOrganic
Lloyd

Loc: Overlook
    #4190124 - 05/18/05 07:36 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Put down the crack pipe, read slowly, and try to comprehend the message your eyes are passing to your brain.

Would this be worthy of a ban in PA&L?

--------------------

OfflineRoseM
Devil's Advocate
Female User Gallery

Re: ideologically driven moderation [Re: Organic]
    #4190139 - 05/18/05 07:51 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Only if it was said by a Liberal. :smile:

--------------------
Fiddlesticks.

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

#4190188 - 05/18/05 08:08 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Why yes, in the PA&L forum it might be construed as a flame -- and if it were posted in PA&L rather than in WA&F it might result in one of the four PA&L moderators taking action of one sort or another.

Since it was posted in WA&F, it is up to those who moderate WA&F to decide what moderator response (if any) is warranted.

Phred

--------------------

OfflineOrganic
Lloyd

Loc: Overlook
    #4190291 - 05/18/05 09:13 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Thanks Phred.

--------------------

OfflineRoseM
Devil's Advocate
Female User Gallery

#4190373 - 05/18/05 09:51 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

We have to be very strict when it comes to flaming in PA&L... because the focus of the Forum is debate... and online, debates often turn personal.

Since people go head to head in PA&L, every day... we can't allow for quips, flames and baiting. If we weren't sooooooo damn strict in there, there would be little room for ANY political discussion, between all the personal jabs. "You suck" is not a Political argument.

You may not always agree with a Mod's actions... but in PA&L someone ALWAYS disagrees. That is the point of the forum. For this reason, you can rest assured PA&L mods don't take Moderator action without cause. We often must explain ourselves to a room full of arm-chair debators.

Usually in PA&L, unlike other Shroomery Forums, Warnings, bans and reasons for locking threads are posted PUBLICLY... so people DON'T think we are biased in our actions. We do this so people know PA&L has strict rules (and how to work within those rules). PA&L is very strict... but it has to be. Any time we ease the slack... the room turns into a flame fest.

There's only one rule in PA&L. NO FLAMING. We often err on the side of caution... if we think something may get out of hand. I'd much rather lock a thread that looks like a potential flame fest, than ban all the people who take the bait.

We are consistantly strict... Phred's banned more Conservatives in PA&L than I have... and I assure you, I've banned my share of Liberals.

Funny, when I ban the Libbies, or lock their threads, they don't accuse me of being biased.

--------------------
Fiddlesticks.

OfflineLiquidSmoke
My title's cooler than yours DBK

Loc: S.A.G.G.Y.B.A.L.L.S.
    #4192895 - 05/18/05 08:34 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

You type like geokills, all of you mods.

It's really gross.

--------------------
"Shmokin' weed, Shmokin' wizz, doin' coke, drinkin' beers.  Drinkin' beers beers beers, rollin' fatties, smokin' blunts.  Who smokes tha blunts?  We smoke the blunts" - Jay and Silent Bob strike Back

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

Re: ideologically driven moderation [Re: LiquidSmoke]
    #4192968 - 05/18/05 09:11 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Gross? What's gross is avatar Santa hats in mid-May.

Phred

--------------------

OfflineRoseM
Devil's Advocate
Female User Gallery

Re: ideologically driven moderation [Re: LiquidSmoke]
    #4193856 - 05/19/05 01:01 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Geokills uses WAY more emoticons than Phred.

:thumbup: :grin: :cheers:

--------------------
Fiddlesticks.

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

Re: ideologically driven moderation [Re: Rose]
    #4194468 - 05/19/05 07:58 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

I've never used an emoticon in my life.

Phred

--------------------

Invisiblelooner2
ABBA fan

#4194530 - 05/19/05 08:20 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

KOTT, you can flame in PAL but be sly in your posts and make little digs here and there, but there must be some overall coherant thought in the post. Your posts just blabble. Really. You only see right wing = BAD PEOPLE, left wing = GOOD PEOPLE. Ignorning the fact that the shroomery is probably the worst place to find definitive right and left wing proponents. Seriously, read a few books on discourse, then try posting some thoughts, not emotion.

--------------------
I am in love with Acidic_Sloth

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder