Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
InvisibleSilversoul
Rhizome
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Barricades
Re: ideologically driven moderation [Re: KingOftheThing]
    #4189507 - 05/18/05 12:28 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

KOTT: You do tend to be a bit confrontational, and I can see how that post could be construed as baiting. I disagree with the decision Phred made, but I can understand it.

Phred: My understanding is that flaming is directed at a specific poster, not a generalized group of people. If that's flaming, then so are numerous attacks I've seen made against "libbies" over the course of the time I've been posting there.

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

Loc: Dominican Republic
Re: ideologically driven moderation [Re: Silversoul]
    #4189569 - 05/18/05 12:51 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

So you think the juxtaposition of "chickenhawks" in one sentence followed by two Shroomery members by name in the next was accidental? An argument could perhaps be made for that interpretation, I suppose.

But read the whole thread, Paradigm, then get back to me. Pay particular attention to the progression of KOtT's first daring a middle-aged man to go shoot "towelheads", followed by daring the same man to send his son to go shoot towelheads, followed by daring the same man to send his daughter to go shoot towelheads -- even after it was stated clearly that the daughter is

-- a whopping 15 years old
-- possessed of her own free will and the intelligence to make up her own mind on the matter

Apparently KOtT is of the opinion zapp's daughter is to be treated by her father as some kind of chattel and ordered about as if she lived in a Muslim family.

This is rational discussion? Hardly.

I repeat -- the thread degenerated into a shitfest from the get go, as was inevitable given the belligerent nature of the opening post. Rather than let it continue to the point where it became necessary to ban two members, I locked it. Note -- I locked it. I didn't edit it, I didn't delete it, I didn't ban anyone, and I even invited KOtT to start over in a sane manner. Repeatedly.

This is a tempest in a teapot and is my last post on the matter. Life is too short to coddle the weak.

Phred

--------------------

OfflineRoseM
Devil's Advocate
Female User Gallery

Loc: Mod not God Flag
Re: ideologically driven moderation [Re: Psilygirl]
    #4189581 - 05/18/05 12:58 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Psilygirl said:
thats cause pa&L mods are all righties, it's why I dont tango in there, it drives me nuts

Fuck you!

I'm a lefty, and Hitler is a LeftiST! Hail Hitler!

Phred's left-handed...

Rono's just shell-shocked.

--------------------
Fiddlesticks.

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

Re: ideologically driven moderation [Re: Rose]
    #4189586 - 05/18/05 01:00 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

She sure is lucky Rono hasn't seen that slander yet. He'll whack her upside the head with his seal club.

Phred

--------------------

InvisibleSilversoul
Rhizome
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Barricades
Re: ideologically driven moderation [Re: Phred]
    #4189602 - 05/18/05 01:10 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Phred said:
So you think the juxtaposition of "chickenhawks" in one sentence followed by two Shroomery members by name in the next was accidental? An argument could perhaps be made for that interpretation, I suppose.

But read the whole thread, Paradigm, then get back to me. Pay particular attention to the progression of KOtT's first daring a middle-aged man to go shoot "towelheads", followed by daring the same man to send his son to go shoot towelheads, followed by daring the same man to send his daughter to go shoot towelheads -- even after it was stated clearly that the daughter is

-- a whopping 15 years old
-- possessed of her own free will and the intelligence to make up her own mind on the matter

Apparently KOtT is of the opinion zapp's daughter is to be treated by her father as some kind of chattel and ordered about as if she lived in a Muslim family.

This is rational discussion? Hardly.

I repeat -- the thread degenerated into a shitfest from the get go, as was inevitable given the belligerent nature of the opening post. Rather than let it continue to the point where it became necessary to ban two members, I locked it. Note -- I locked it. I didn't edit it, I didn't delete it, I didn't ban anyone, and I even invited KOtT to start over in a sane manner. Repeatedly.

This is a tempest in a teapot and is my last post on the matter. Life is too short to coddle the weak.

I think he made some weak points, but I wouldn't call it flaming. If being irrational was worthy of having a thread locked, no threads would stay open. I could understand locking it if you gave them a warning first. I think they deserve at least that much.

--------------------

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Loc: Fractallife's gym
Re: ideologically driven moderation [Re: Silversoul]
    #4190003 - 05/18/05 05:23 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Just as a clarification, at no time did I state a desire to fight KOTT. I merely said I would oblige him if he really wanted to. I'm not afraid.

--------------------

Invisiblenewuser1492
    #4190050 - 05/18/05 06:22 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

I interpreted the thread as inflammatory and I could easily imagine how others would feel the same. The posts by zappa seemed much more out of line and I wonder why he wasn't warned as was KoTT in the final post by Phred.

The statement army recruitment is down by 42% was not backed by evidence which is another reason the post seemed inflammatory or even possibly a troll. But once again zappa chose on his own to enter into the conversation and at the very least continue the degradation into petty bickering.

OfflineOrganic
Lloyd

Loc: Overlook
    #4190124 - 05/18/05 07:36 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Put down the crack pipe, read slowly, and try to comprehend the message your eyes are passing to your brain.

Would this be worthy of a ban in PA&L?

--------------------

OfflineRoseM
Devil's Advocate
Female User Gallery

Re: ideologically driven moderation [Re: Organic]
    #4190139 - 05/18/05 07:51 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Only if it was said by a Liberal. :smile:

--------------------
Fiddlesticks.

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

#4190188 - 05/18/05 08:08 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Why yes, in the PA&L forum it might be construed as a flame -- and if it were posted in PA&L rather than in WA&F it might result in one of the four PA&L moderators taking action of one sort or another.

Since it was posted in WA&F, it is up to those who moderate WA&F to decide what moderator response (if any) is warranted.

Phred

--------------------

OfflineOrganic
Lloyd

Loc: Overlook
    #4190291 - 05/18/05 09:13 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Thanks Phred.

--------------------

OfflineRoseM
Devil's Advocate
Female User Gallery

#4190373 - 05/18/05 09:51 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

We have to be very strict when it comes to flaming in PA&L... because the focus of the Forum is debate... and online, debates often turn personal.

Since people go head to head in PA&L, every day... we can't allow for quips, flames and baiting. If we weren't sooooooo damn strict in there, there would be little room for ANY political discussion, between all the personal jabs. "You suck" is not a Political argument.

You may not always agree with a Mod's actions... but in PA&L someone ALWAYS disagrees. That is the point of the forum. For this reason, you can rest assured PA&L mods don't take Moderator action without cause. We often must explain ourselves to a room full of arm-chair debators.

Usually in PA&L, unlike other Shroomery Forums, Warnings, bans and reasons for locking threads are posted PUBLICLY... so people DON'T think we are biased in our actions. We do this so people know PA&L has strict rules (and how to work within those rules). PA&L is very strict... but it has to be. Any time we ease the slack... the room turns into a flame fest.

There's only one rule in PA&L. NO FLAMING. We often err on the side of caution... if we think something may get out of hand. I'd much rather lock a thread that looks like a potential flame fest, than ban all the people who take the bait.

We are consistantly strict... Phred's banned more Conservatives in PA&L than I have... and I assure you, I've banned my share of Liberals.

Funny, when I ban the Libbies, or lock their threads, they don't accuse me of being biased.

--------------------
Fiddlesticks.

OfflineLiquidSmoke
My title's cooler than yours DBK

Loc: S.A.G.G.Y.B.A.L.L.S.
    #4192895 - 05/18/05 08:34 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

You type like geokills, all of you mods.

It's really gross.

--------------------
"Shmokin' weed, Shmokin' wizz, doin' coke, drinkin' beers.  Drinkin' beers beers beers, rollin' fatties, smokin' blunts.  Who smokes tha blunts?  We smoke the blunts" - Jay and Silent Bob strike Back

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

Re: ideologically driven moderation [Re: LiquidSmoke]
    #4192968 - 05/18/05 09:11 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Gross? What's gross is avatar Santa hats in mid-May.

Phred

--------------------

OfflineRoseM
Devil's Advocate
Female User Gallery

Re: ideologically driven moderation [Re: LiquidSmoke]
    #4193856 - 05/19/05 01:01 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Geokills uses WAY more emoticons than Phred.

:thumbup: :grin: :cheers:

--------------------
Fiddlesticks.

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

Re: ideologically driven moderation [Re: Rose]
    #4194468 - 05/19/05 07:58 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

I've never used an emoticon in my life.

Phred

--------------------

Invisiblelooner2
ABBA fan

#4194530 - 05/19/05 08:20 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

KOTT, you can flame in PAL but be sly in your posts and make little digs here and there, but there must be some overall coherant thought in the post. Your posts just blabble. Really. You only see right wing = BAD PEOPLE, left wing = GOOD PEOPLE. Ignorning the fact that the shroomery is probably the worst place to find definitive right and left wing proponents. Seriously, read a few books on discourse, then try posting some thoughts, not emotion.

--------------------
I am in love with Acidic_Sloth

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order