Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Political Discussion

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Invisiblecarbonhoots
old hand

Loc: BC Canada
Billionaire Belinda's Bombshell
    #4188755 - 05/17/05 10:38 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Whew.

Talk about dodging a bullet!

On Thursday, Canada's Liberal government will attempt to pass it's budget in the house of commons. The house was likely to vote against it, which by Canadian law, forces an election.

Then, today, out of the blue, came Belinda Stronach's anouncement that she's leaving the Conservative party to join the Liberals. (who gave her a cabinet position)

This is big news.

Belinda, of course, is the daughter of Frank Stronach, billionaire owner of Magna International. She was considered a star candidate for the Conservative party.

After promising the NDP that they would cancel tax cuts for big business and spend that money on social programs, the Liberals were really close to holding onto power anyways, and now it's all but a certainty.

If an election were to be held today, the seperatist party in Quebec was expected to make big gains...and the Conservatives were threatening to form a minority government...bad news!

Conservative Stronach joins Liberals

--------------------
  -I'd rather have a frontal lobotomy than a bottle in front of me

CANADIAN CENTER FOR POLICY ALTERNATIVES

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineCatalysis
EtherealEngineer

Re: Billionaire Belinda's Bombshell [Re: carbonhoots]
    #4188772 - 05/17/05 10:45 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

I keep taking shit for saying liberalism benefits the rich and that wealthy business-people actually profit from liberal programs.

You may have noticed that in the last US election, the wealthier areas voted liberal while the rural areas voted conservative. This is not a fluke. I will keep maintaining my observation and, undoubtedly, keep taking shit for it until people finally realize the obvious.

People think that cancelling tax cuts for businesses will take money from the rich and give it to the poor but its a fucking scam. Corporations pay employees based on profit. If profit is lower due to taxes, then your average worker will be payed less and it is up to the government to dish out the "excess" money. This is a flawed system that does nothing but screw over the hard-working citizens.

Edited by Catalysis (05/17/05 10:59 PM)

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

Loc: Dominican Republic
    #4188825 - 05/17/05 10:58 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Where does it say she's a billionaire? The article says she's a millionaire.

This business of pols defecting to the other side sucks donkey balls. It sucks when Lefties defect to join the Righties, and it sucks when the Righties defect to join the Lefties. It's a giant "fuck you!" to the people who elected them. If she was all bent out of shape about voting against a Liberal budget, all she had to do was vote for it. She didn't have to defect from her party completely.

Of course, the lure of the added power a cabinet post brings is I guess more attractive to her than being just a n00b Conservative backbencher. A quick way to move up in the political world while betraying those who elected her. Par for the course in Canuck politics.

Phred

--------------------

Invisiblecarbonhoots
old hand

Re: Billionaire Belinda's Bombshell [Re: Catalysis]
    #4188890 - 05/17/05 11:13 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Stronach is still very much a fiscal conservative, although not a social one...as is Canada's Liberal party, basically.

Anyways, I'm not sure what kind of liberalism your refering to. I've always thought of liberals as being between social democrats and conservatives...

I know that in Canada, many Conservatives say it would be a good thing if providing health insurance was something corporations could profit off, Liberals do not. That benefits ordinary people at the expense of the wealthy business people.

Liberals also created and maintain public pensions and unemployment insurance. This provides at least a minimal bargaining position for workers which tends to drive up wages, thus benefiting ordinary people at the expense of wealthy business types.

--------------------

Invisiblecarbonhoots
old hand

Re: Billionaire Belinda's Bombshell [Re: Phred]
    #4188936 - 05/17/05 11:19 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Where does it say she's a billionaire? The article says she's a millionaire.

Someone told me her dad is a billionaire.

I guess technically, she's not a billionaire.

I just wanted to write a title with three words that started with B.

I should have known...

--------------------

OfflineCatalysis
EtherealEngineer

#4188964 - 05/17/05 11:23 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

I know that in Canada, many Conservatives say it would be a good thing if providing health insurance was something corporations could profit off, Liberals do not. That benefits ordinary people at the expense of the wealthy business people.

You do realize that corporations in the US actually PAY for their employees private health insurance, don't you? Many of them also match 1-to-1 their employees' contributions to private retirement investment accounts...pre-tax. In Canada, corporations don't pay a dime directly for employees' health insurance, it is all taken from taxes and they don't even get to have their own private health care like most US workers have.

I have been trying to tell people that wealthy business-people actually WANT government health care to take the burden off of them but no one listens to me.

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

#4192822 - 05/18/05 10:13 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Tory MP: Liberals Tried To Bribe Me

Another Conservative MP has gone public with allegations that the Liberal Party has attempted to bribe Tories with ministerial positions or Senate seats to buy votes on the upcoming confidence motion in tomorrow's session. Following the public outing by Inky Marks and the scandalous betrayal by Belinda Stronach, Gurmant Grewal came forward this evening to reveal that the Grits had offered a Senate seat for his wife and a Liberal sinecure to keep him from voting No on the budget:

Quote:

The Surrey, B.C. MP, whose wife Nina is also a Tory MP, alleges he made an audio recording of the offer from Liberal cabinet minister Ujjal Dosanjh and Tim Murphy, Prime Minister Paul Martin's chief of staff.

The allegation comes a day after Belinda Stronach shocked her Tory caucus colleagues by jumping to the Liberal cabinet.

Mr. Martin insisted the move was Ms. Stronach's initiative and that the Liberals were not actively attempting to poach from Conservative ranks.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/s...50518.wlibz0518

Unlike Inky Marks, Grewal didn't hesitate to name names, and the effort comes right from the Prime Minister's office. If he really does have the offer on tape from Murphy, the PM should have some explaining to do to the RCMP. Rarely has North American politics so overtly involved the purchasing of votes through crass promises of personal gain.

If the Liberals have conspired to sell off ministerial positions for patronage, they better hope the effort pays off tomorrow. If they lose control of Parliament and face new elections this summer, a number of them may not return -- and a new government might be inclined to find out what other kinds of bribes (and perhaps threats) the Martin regime has employed. Stronach in particular will have a lot of explaining to do to her riding, but Martin may find himself at the center of a new criminal investigation into government corruption.

Hopefully, the tape will get some airplay later tonight.

http://www.captainsquartersblog.com/mt/

--------------------

OfflineAncalagon
AgnosticLibertarian

Re: Billionaire Belinda's Bombshell [Re: Phred]
    #4192907 - 05/18/05 10:42 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

A quick way to move up in the political world while betraying those who elected her. Par for the course in ______ politics.

Fixed.

--------------------
?When Alexander the Great visted the philosopher Diogenes and asked whether he could do anything for him, Diogenes is said to have replied: 'Yes, stand a little less between me and the sun.' It is what every citizen is entitled to ask of his government.?
-Henry Hazlitt in 'Economics in One Lesson'

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

#5298018 - 02/14/06 05:31 AM (10 years, 9 months ago)

First Belinda Stronach, now David Emerson. Seems Harper picked up a few tricks from Martin.

Phred

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Political Discussion