Home | Community | Message Board

Myco Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineFluxburn
 User Gallery

Loc: Oakland, CA, USA Flag
knocking up jars?
    #4188735 - 05/17/05 10:31 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

So I am confused on the best way to knock up a jar. I have the following options.

Use a jar with polyfill on top in two holes, remove one of the poly balls from a hole and inccoulate from it.

Use a jar with tyvek on top, poke through the tyvek then afterwards seal the hole with tape or something.

I am trying jars after some failed attempts with bags due to longer colonization times and bad technique with sterilizing the substrate in cases. I think I got the birdseed down, finally.

--------------------
ABSTRACT ART (Mine) http://nathanbelomy.com

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisibleagar
old hand
 User Gallery

Loc: Somewhere Else
Trusted Cultivator
Re: knocking up jars? [Re: Fluxburn]
    #4188821 - 05/17/05 10:58 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Assuming you are doing 3/4 full PC'ed quart grain jars.

Two holes in the lids - anywhere around 1/4 to 3/16ths & opposing each other on the sides of the lid.

Use TYVEK under the lid - for filter material.

Inoculate through one hole & tape it over afterwards.

Be sure to swab the inoculation spot with alc beforehand, alc swab wrap the needle & push it in (5 tiny squirts - 1 in each corner & 1 down the center & withdraw the needle while wrapped, hold swab in place & only remove as you apply the tape.

I cover mine with an exterior dust cover of 2 coffee filters, held down with a thick rubber band.

Don't shake the jars - after inoculation. Object is to see the germination/colonization start against the glass.

Shake ONCE around 20% colonization. Any more shaking just slows things down - IMHO.

--------------------

OfflineMighty Bop
Big Boy

Loc: Nowhere
    #4188823 - 05/17/05 10:58 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Use Tyvek. No need to cover the holes with tape unless you want to be really really careful :smile: I've never taped and everything has always worked out. But that was BRF/Verm. I have never done grain.

--------------------
"One attaineth whatever state of being one thinketh about at the last when relinquishing the body, being ever absorbed in the thought thereof." - Sri Krishna to Arjuna, Bhagavad Gita, viii, 6

Edited by Mighty Bop (05/17/05 11:02 PM)

OfflineFluxburn
 User Gallery

Re: knocking up jars? [Re: Mighty Bop]
    #4188858 - 05/17/05 11:08 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

So I am assuming after u pc you can take off the lid and just have the tyvek filter to have lots of air exchange right?

--------------------

OfflineMighty Bop
Big Boy

Loc: Nowhere
    #4188872 - 05/17/05 11:10 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Correct, it always works for me. Especially if you use an incubator. Try it out and see. With quart jars and grains I think the contam rate is a lot higher therefore more of a barrier between the substrate and the outside world.

--------------------
"One attaineth whatever state of being one thinketh about at the last when relinquishing the body, being ever absorbed in the thought thereof." - Sri Krishna to Arjuna, Bhagavad Gita, viii, 6

Offlinelowdominion
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: new england
    #4188879 - 05/17/05 11:11 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

no air exchange is not needed for colonization gas exchange is tyvek stays on as a contam barrier tyvek allows for gas exchange

Offlinelowdominion
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: new england
Re: knocking up jars? [Re: lowdominion]
    #4188894 - 05/17/05 11:13 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

i leave the lid on as well once you pc you don't want to unscrew the band you could expose the jar to open air

Invisibleagar
old hand
 User Gallery

Loc: Somewhere Else
Trusted Cultivator
    #4188988 - 05/17/05 11:27 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Fluxburn said:
So I am assuming after u pc you can take off the lid and just have the tyvek filter to have lots of air exchange right?

You don't want lots of air exchange. Just a small degree of gas exchange ability, which tyvek allows. A straight jar cover of tyvek would cause the jars to begin to dry out & colonizatio0n would start to stall.

--------------------

Offlinebrewwhaha1
Stranger thanmost
Re: knocking up jars? [Re: lowdominion]
    #4189027 - 05/17/05 11:34 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

i like the following (assuming you have metal lids): 1 hole in centre of lid the size of an awl. place lid on mason jar; cut square of furnace filter, place on top of metal lid; screw on band; cover with sheet of aluminum foil. PC jars. once cool lift corner of alum and inject thru furnace filter replace foil. shake and incubate.
Have also had success with the following. Finishing size nail hole dead centre of lid (just one) cover jar lid with foil. PC. lift foil and inject. Only downfall is getting rid of co2 in slow colonizing jars. thats why i prefer top suggestion which has a larger hole and the safty of the furnace filter.

OfflineFluxburn
 User Gallery

#4189386 - 05/18/05 01:38 AM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Dood wouldn't it just be easier if u could just shoot up the spores to get high instead? LoL

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation