Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleLucid_Euphoria
Sojourner

Loc: Flip Side
Contam inside bulk tray, need some advice *pics*
    #4186448 - 05/17/05 12:12 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Ok so I pulled out my two bulk tray I had incubating today to check on the colonization. The slower one I'd left on top so I pulled it out first, only about 1/3 of the surface had been colonized and didn't look like it had changed much since I checked it about a week ago.
    So I uncover it to take a closer look, first thing I notice is there is so much condensation and moisture to it. Then I see a tiny spec of greenish crap in one of the little valleys of an uncolonized area. I prod my finger below it and lift it up a little, sure enough, theres some more under it. At this point I decide I should toss the whole uncolonized area and just try to case the section that is colonized. So I cut through the substrate at about the line where it had stopped colonizing.

This is what I find:

:eek:  :mad2:  :thumbdown:

OK so I wanted to try and salvage something from this tray, so I pulled the side of the colonized substrate away from the container and saw no signs of contams there. I took the knife and cut just a little from each of the sides of the contam since it seemed to be centered. I pulled all the uncolonized shit/straw off these sections and stuck em in a couple small glad containers. I know I've read conflivting views on if contams travel through the mcyellium network etc. however, since this contam was in an uncolonized spot, I'd think I'd be safe to grow some shrooms from the colonized part. I know its better to be safe than sorry but I just don't see how it could be a problem? Any thoughts on that?

This isn't a good photo to show the sections I took since it mostly views the bottom of the sections that had uncolonized stuff on it. But you can see the chunk hanging to the left of the contam, and then the piece to the right of the knife is what I removed.

My other concern is this: I have another bulk tray just like that one that seemed to have colonized much quicker, almost the entire surface was colonized over a week ago. My concern is that it will have the same problem this one did since they had about identical conditions.

Here is some info on my grow:
1.5 qts. of GT colonized WBS spawned to 5#'s each of Tenn. Stud prepastuerized 50/50 straw/poo mix. Then incubated at mid 80's in a TiT.

How should I figure out if the other tray is contamed or not? I mean I can pull the sub away from the sides of the container to see if its colonized all the way to the bottom but that could be true all the way around and there could still be a contam in the middle. I don't wanna dig up and disturb the mycellium if theres nothing wrong with it. It could damage it right? I'm so confused! Don't know what to do about all this, or what went wrong.  :confused:

--------------------
PAN CYAN & AZURE FOR TRADE

"If ignorance is bliss, THEN KNOCK THE SMILE OFF MY FACE!" - Zach de la Rocha

"Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves. Here's Tom with the weather!" -Bill Hicks-

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineCaptainCrunch
Contrary ToPopular Belief

Loc: Somwhere Over the rainbow
Re: Contam inside bulk tray, need some advice *pics* [Re: Lucid_Euphoria]
    #4186482 - 05/17/05 12:19 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

looks like penicillin, which creates thousands of spore,that's already creating spores which means more than likely everything else is contaminated, if i was you id look into an outdoor bed asap, and or continue to fruit but be ware, if was there once it could easily spread

InvisibleRoadkillM
Retired Shroomery Mod
Male User Gallery

Loc: Montana
Trusted Cultivator
    #4186486 - 05/17/05 12:20 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

you got the mean green!~

toss it!~

---

why is there only mycelium on the top?

didn't you mix your spawn up with the bulk substrate?

looks like you layed the spawn on top.

---

leave the other tray alone.

if it isn't broke...don't fix it!~

tc

--------------------
Laterz, Road

Who the hell you callin crazy?
You wouldn't know what crazy was if Charles Manson was eating froot loops on your front porch!

Brainiac said:
PM the names with on there names, that means they have mushrooms for sale.

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #4186491 - 05/17/05 12:20 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

It is not likly that it is contamed...but if you keep that casing IT WILL BE. TRASH that shit and get rid of it. The green you see is just spores..think of mushroom production and when you see spores (The LAST part..theres mycelium all under the surface at that point though). Same thing with green...green mold has white mycelium too..the green is just spores...your not gonna get it all so it will come back. Toss that one and watch the other. If its contamed..youll see it pop up on the surface...chances are its ok though.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

Offlinedivinityinfinity
Hot LittleMuffin

Re: Contam inside bulk tray, need some advice *pics* [Re: CaptainCrunch]
    #4186499 - 05/17/05 12:22 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

CaptainCrunch said:
looks like penicillin, which creates thousands of spore,that's already creating spores which means more than likely everything else is contaminated, if i was you id look into an outdoor bed asap, and or continue to fruit but be ware, if was there once it could easily spread

or...he could continue growing the shrooms and sell them only as the BEST MEDS EVER! haha i keed i keed.

sorry dude, icky POO

InvisibleLucid_Euphoria
Sojourner

Loc: Flip Side
Re: Contam inside bulk tray, need some advice *pics* [Re: scatmanrav]
    #4186528 - 05/17/05 12:26 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Well fuck...

Yes RK, I did mix it all throughout the bulk sub. I don't know why it only colonized on top. Man I really hope the other one is colonized throughout. I'll it check tomarrow or maybe thursday. I'll throw out all of this shit though.

This is a real bummer. I invested a lot in trying to do a bulk grow properly and to not get any psychedelic rewards from that investment only experience would kinda bum me out.

I think my lesson learned here is do smaller trays. Easier to monitor, faster to colonize, less chance of contam, if it does contam then you only lose a small % of your total grow. I put all my eggs in 2 10 quart or so baskets and now I may be screwed.

I'd really like to know where I went wrong so I know how to do a better job next time. Is this type of contam totally random? Usually due to unsterile procedures? Too much moisture? Too high of an incubation temp? Anything I can learn from this. I was so careful with being sterile and trying to do everything right I just would like to know how I can do better next time.

--------------------
PAN CYAN & AZURE FOR TRADE

"If ignorance is bliss, THEN KNOCK THE SMILE OFF MY FACE!" - Zach de la Rocha

"Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves. Here's Tom with the weather!" -Bill Hicks-

Edited by Lucid_Euphoria (05/17/05 12:30 PM)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck