Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

PhytoExtractum Shop: Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Offlinetomk
King of OTD

Loc: PNW
Group composition project
    #4185023 - 05/17/05 01:07 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

OK.  A few weeks ago I posted asking for contributers to a project.  No one responded.  :mad:

However, I think some shroomerites might be interested in participating once they read the group project.  :laugh:  I need 4 or 5 people to follow these instructions.

OK, here is the process.  If you do not agree to follow these instructions as close as possible, do not participate.  Consumption of marijuana is involved, so if you don't get high, your participation is not desired.  If you do not have the discipline to sit and be bored for 4 hours while you work on this, for the sake of the project, your participation is not desired.  If you mind the fact that some of this stuff could induce discomfort, this is not for you.

This is both an experiment in the effects of cannibis on creativity and a musical composition and an exercise in meditation.  Proceed with caution.  Psychosis may result.

I will get you each a jpg of a staff paper with some stuff writen on it.  Print this page twice.

First, memorize Day 1 of the project.  Then follow the instructions, from memory, without refering to them.

Day 1

Starting midnight three days before Day one, stop using all drugs, including marijuana, and excluding prescriptions or things unrelated to recreational drugs, like aspirin if you need it.  Continue this abstinence until instructed to break it on day 2.

I want you to sit upright in a dark room, for five minutes, in absolute silience.  Set a timer, and just sit.  Do not think, just sit.  Do not be high, just sit.  If you happen to think, do not control your thoughts, or try and focus on sitting.  Just continue to sit.  After the timer goes off, hit the snooze button, and then begin to focus on your breathing.  Again, do not think, and if you happen to think, do not control your focus by trying to stop thinking, just let it run through your head, and continue to focus on your breathing.  As long as every time you are aware your focus is distracted, you return your focus to your breathing while allow the distraction to continue, you are doing it right. 

OK.  Now, turn on a light, and set a timer for 10 minutes and look at the paper.  Stare at it.  In the same way you focused on your breathing, focus on the page.  Every time you notice yourself starting to think about what you see, do not try to alter your thoughts, just let them be and direct your focus back to the page in front of you.  After the timer goes off, continue to focus on the page, but allow your imagination to run while your focus is on the page.  Do not think about how hard this is, just do it.  The process is this.  Imagine writing 1 musical phrase anywhere on the paper.  This phrase can be anywhere, do not necessarily work sequentially.  Now, let each phrase your mind suggests hold your attention for a few moments, then let go of it, and move onto the next one.  When a phrase repeats itself in your imagination several times in a row, without change, write it down.  When you feel yourself getting impatient with this, remind yourself that that is your ego trying to get in the way of your focus on the project you have committed to and agreed to suffer some discomfort for, and then continue to imagine.  After you write a phrase, close your eyes and sit for 5 minutes, again, without thinking and without focus.  When you are doing this, do not look at phrases you have already written or try and change them.  Repeat until no more phrases come to you. 

Day 2. 

Do not get high during Day 2 until instructed.  Repeat the meditation in the first part of Day 1.  After your meditation ends, do not open your eyes, just grab your smoking medium and start smoking.

Smoke an above average amount of marijuana.  FOCUS on smoking the marijuana.  Do not think about it, when you notice yourself thinking about it, redirect your attention to the smoking of the marijuana.  Time your smoking like this.  Normally, we breathe in first, then out.  Reverse your breathing, so you breathe out first, then in.  Breathe out, take a hit on the in breath, out again, in, out, hit, out, in, out, hit, out.

Repeat the meditation in the first part of Day 1 again, as the marijuana kicks in.  This will be considerably harder.  When you start to struggle with it, realize that your ego is getting in the way of your participation in the project and suffer, but gladly.  You will think this is stupid.  It is.  Deal with it.  The suffering you feel isn't from boredom, but from not knowing how to relate to the boredom.  Continue to focus.  When the meditation is over, repeat the creative process from the second part of Day 1 with the new page.  Each time you add a new phrase, smoke a hit of marijuana.  After you finish the page, stop smoking marijuana until the project is over.  If you think it is stupid to have to stop, that is OK.  If you are unwilling to stop, your participation is not desired.

Day 3

Repeat the meditation in the first part of Day 1.

Then, open a word document on your computer, and stare at it.  Reflect on the experience in days 1 and 2, using the creative process outlined in part 2 of Day 1. 

Day 4

Repeat the meditation in the first part of Day 1.

Then, make a MIDI file of your score, if possible, and record yourself reading your word document.  Use basic piano, and do not make the midi file very detailed.  You are providing a tool for me to further manipulate, not a complete product.  Send these to me.

After I receive everyones finished contributions, I will explain what I am going to do with the results. 

Thanks for your participation.  I hope the resulting music will be interesting, and I hope the resulting paper on creativity, marijuana, and meditation is interesting.

--------------------
"I am eternally free"

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineBoneMan
Shrimpin ain't easy
Male

Loc: new new england
Re: Group composition project [Re: tomk]
    #4185953 - 05/17/05 10:17 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

sounds interesting. I'd help you out, but I can't read or write music.

maybe you'd get more volunteers for something a little less complicated.

I'm always down for a group composition though, maybe if someone starts it off with a drum track and everyone involved records an idea. then we pick the best idea and elaborate on that.

of course, creative differences will probably end the project before its finished

Offlinetomk
King of OTD

Re: Group composition project [Re: BoneMan]
    #4186317 - 05/17/05 11:52 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

The world doesn't need more things that are not complicated.  It needs more things that are original.  If you aren't willing to suffer to make art, why bother?  You're just fucking around otherwise.  Art is not something you make, it's something that comes through you.  I'm interested in seeing how having it come through you when combined with meditation, and I'm interested in how marijuana affects the ability to channel music.  I don't just wnat to make a piece here.  Rather, I want to use music as a tool to understand more about the world and the creative process.  This means it takes hard work.  :evil:

The type of people that is only interested in executing non-complicated ideas are not the people who channel music through them.

--------------------
"I am eternally free"

Offlinestefan
work in progress

Loc: The Netherlands
    #4186389 - 05/17/05 12:04 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

I'm interested in seeing how having it come through you when combined with meditation, and I'm interested in how marijuana affects the ability to channel music. I don't just wnat to make a piece here. Rather, I want to use music as a tool to understand more about the world and the creative process.

I don't know why you think this is an experiment and why you would learn something from this :shrug:

how can you see how it differs from when that person is usually making music without meditation and drugs.... etc

Offlinetomk
King of OTD

Re: Group composition project [Re: stefan]
    #4186919 - 05/17/05 01:52 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Well, thats why part of it involves people evaluating the experience. Maybe they will think it was stupid after they do it. Maybe they will find their music is more creative and less bound by the rules years of crappy music education pounded into them. I don't know what will happen. I'm going to piece together the fragments using the same technique, and see if it is something new or different. Maybe it won't. But by looking at the piece after it is done is the only way to make that evaluation. If the people who do it all feel that mediating and pot made the music come through them in a different way, then we will have learned something. I dunno. It's worth a try. Even if it turns out to be shitty music and no inspiration, we will have learned something from it. It's really a way to get people to think about their approach to music in a new way.

"How can you see..."

Well, I'd just ask them. "Do you think these phrases during day 1 or day 2 are different then your normal music?"

--------------------
"I am eternally free"

OfflineBoneMan
Shrimpin ain't easy
Male

Loc: new new england
    #4187046 - 05/17/05 02:20 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

well we already know marijuana enhances the flow of music from or through a persons mind.

meditation will help by clearing out distracting thoughts. i know that if im high and i meditate i hear the music much more clearly.

and im not sure i agree with your suffering to make art logic.

OfflineNoviseer
Percussion isFree
 User Gallery

Re: Group composition project [Re: BoneMan]
    #4188211 - 05/17/05 06:17 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

I'll do it... sounds interesting, I'd like to be a part of it, and I'll take it seriously enough to follow all the instructions.  Good idea :smile:

--------------------

Offlinetomk
King of OTD

Re: Group composition project [Re: Noviseer]
    #4189524 - 05/18/05 12:36 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

:thumbup: :laugh:

Boneman, if you aren't sure about it, why not give it a whirl and see if it works or not.  I think if you aren't sure about if it works or not, giving it a whirl would settle the uncertainty in one direction or another.

--------------------
"I am eternally free"

Offlinestefan
work in progress

Loc: The Netherlands
    #4189670 - 05/18/05 01:38 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

hmm.. so you supply the mj? :wink:

Offlinetomk
King of OTD

Re: Group composition project [Re: stefan]
    #4189694 - 05/18/05 01:53 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

I will be for the people in my town who are participating.

However I can't email you the damn pot.

--------------------
"I am eternally free"

Jump to top Pages: 1

PhytoExtractum Shop: Buy Bali Kratom Powder