Home | Community | Message Board

Kraken Kratom
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Paul Stamets

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineMindzpore
Psychedelicious
 User Gallery

Loc: Reject the concept of loc...
outdoor cultivation after a few years.
    #4185820 - 05/17/05 11:34 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

i would be really curious to hear a bit about how outdoor grows develop over time.

how are they after a few years (w/wo maintainance).

how do they deal with the winter.

(great if you have pictures)

--------------------
Mindzpores words of wisdom:
"If you think something is foolproof, you just haven't met proper fools".

Wiccan_Seeker said:
"It is better to adjust to become a better listener than to keep on cranking up the volume".

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinebeyondsisxth
Title?
Male User Gallery

Re: outdoor cultivation after a few years. [Re: Mindzpore]
    #4185941 - 05/17/05 12:13 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Paul Stamets Medicinal and Gourmet Mushroom Cultivation book says that after about 3-4 years yields on an outdoor patch for a designated species drop drastically as wild species begin to appear on your patch.

--------------------
The sun was pulling cheap shots doing commercial body tricks, Behind the back, Under the leg, I think he even did a headspin, On a crossfader that sounded whack, But looked excellent, All of the sudden it gets dim, The crater face steps in, Puts mexican drumbreaks on the Technics, He's like "Let's begin", He conducted an orchestra so dope the sun started sweatin' him, I guess he'd expected to win on pure artistic merit, Composing complex plays with nothin but soundbytes, Burned out the lights, Made MCs too self conscious quit the master mics, For a thousand nights, It continued without a single slip up, Except once the record skipped, But it kinda sounded cool.

Offlineshroomaker
Stranger
    #4186664 - 05/17/05 02:56 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Stamlets also says that there is only so much genetic energy available for mycellium spread and fruiting (replicate fading)- without going back to the culture. However, I have wondered how much an outdoor bed can stay alive just by natural spore reproduction??

--------------------
Worm Composting Made Easy

OfflineMindzpore
Psychedelicious
 User Gallery

Re: outdoor cultivation after a few years. [Re: shroomaker]
    #4189968 - 05/18/05 06:51 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

exactly my point and what im trying to find out. if a bed is left to its own. it should be able to stay vital and possibly even spread to new lokales (like mushrooms do in nature).

--------------------

Wiccan_Seeker said:
"It is better to adjust to become a better listener than to keep on cranking up the volume".

Offlineliveby
Wasted For Time
 User Gallery

#4190058 - 05/18/05 08:29 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

there have been so called "mushroom rings " that after Thousands of years are still producing fruits! they can last a very long time but after years and years of fruiting in the outdoors I'm pretty safe to say there would be the same species around the suburb because of spore ex poser.

--------------------

http://www.bruceeisner.com/ -Creating a Sensible Culture

Offlineshroomaker
Stranger
    #4190085 - 05/18/05 08:53 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

I am interested in seeing further contributions to this thread because I think there is great potential in low tech propagation of outdoor areas. While it's true that the yields (and desired strains) would suffer as compared to high tech methods, the costs and agravation would be much less (for the back yard hobbiest).
Stamlets talks about spore-mass inoculation in GGMM in which he mentions making a spore-mass slurry and distributing it in outdoor beds - he even mentions wanting to broadcast over large forest areas. My interest is in edible mushrooms and I want to try this with stropharia, shaggy mane, blewitt, and (hopefully) agaricus blazei (if anyone has spores available of any of these I would be interested!).
It seems logical to me that by routinally spore inoculating an area with a desired species, that competitors would also be minimized. However, one thing that I wonder is whether the various strains of the same species would actually compete with each other and effect yields detrimentally (possibly by over inoculating)?

Edited by shroomaker (05/18/05 09:02 AM)

Offlinelepiota
expert infailures
 User Gallery

Loc: Europe
Re: outdoor cultivation after a few years. [Re: shroomaker]
    #4190095 - 05/18/05 09:01 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

stamets also suggested to mix spores to oil in chainsaws, so the woodcutters inoculate logs at the same time of cutting the trees. this is why i love that guy.

--------------------
SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL FSR!

OfflineMindzpore
Psychedelicious
 User Gallery

Re: outdoor cultivation after a few years. [Re: lepiota]
    #4190433 - 05/18/05 12:20 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

its also worth considering the social/legal effects. if one would be able to introduce shrooms to ones local ecology.

in my country its not only illegal to grow, but both picking and ingesting is illegal. i think this is mainly due to ignorance and one of the reasons is that the only indigenous shroom worth its psilo is the semilanceata. and even that is unknown to most people (it is excluded from most mushroom guides or just labelled as "poisonous" with a skull or cross next to it).

if more types of shrooms were available and more widely available... I'm sure that things would have to change (well, we are talking of a time-span of maby 40-50 years here).

that's why I'm interested to know about how peoples outdoor beds have developed with time.

(and as i believe that impact on other species will be minimal i have no major ecological concerns.)

--------------------

Wiccan_Seeker said:

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Paul Stamets

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation