Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Boomr Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineFUBAR23
experimenter
Loc: Urantia
Grapefruit Seed Extract: anyone ever tried this?
    #4062903 - 04/16/05 04:08 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Hello all you beautiful mycologists out there. I have been using a product called Grapefruit Seed Extract for some time now and I have discovered that it is antibacterial, antiparasitic, germicide, and a MOLD INHIBITOR. I did a little bit of research and discovered that it takes about 3-6 drops of this per gallon to prevent mold from growing on plants and fruits and vegetables. I am planning on trying this with my substrate water next. Also I think it would be a superior combatant against the terrible contams that costantly plague some of us in the community. Has anyone already tried this already? I found no mention of it on any forum or post when I searched around. I am anxious to get feedback from anyone who has tried this method or is willing to try a new experiment with me so that we can get an understanding of how this product can help refine our cultivation methods. I think it will serve us much like the H202 revolution did. To all of you out there who have taught me(you know who you are)                 

:sun:                 
          :mushroom2:                           
  :heart:THANK YOU :heart:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleHolydiver
Stranger
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: The midnight sea
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Grapefruit Seed Extract: anyone ever tried this? [Re: FUBAR23]
    #4062910 - 04/16/05 04:11 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Hey there

I've never used it, but I'd be wary of adding it to substrate. Anything that kills bacteria/mold spores will almost definitely kill cubensis spores.

Interesting idea though, try it and let us know.

--------------------
To find a place to live between the negatives and positives.

OfflineFUBAR23
experimenter
Re: Grapefruit Seed Extract: anyone ever tried this? [Re: Holydiver]
    #4063129 - 04/16/05 05:40 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Greetings Diver. I believe that in a low enough concentration one could kill the lower chain of fungal invaders such as trich. and the like without harming the higher chains of fungus like our boys. I have read that it does not kill off all of the beneficial micro-organisms in the soil so I don't think it will kill psilocybin which is such a beneficial organism. I'm keepin my fingers crossed.    :shroomer:

InvisibleHolydiver
Stranger
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: The midnight sea
Trusted Cultivator
    #4063159 - 04/16/05 06:06 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Ok, but combating trich in substates is as simple as 1) Obtaining clean cultures and 2) sterilizing jars in the pressure cooker. Nothing further is needed except sterile practices during inoculation (alcohol swab).

Maybe it has an application in casing layers to fight trich.

OfflineFUBAR23
experimenter
Re: Grapefruit Seed Extract: anyone ever tried this? [Re: Holydiver]
    #4063540 - 04/16/05 09:01 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

I was thinking for straw/compost, coco coir, wood chips, perhaps it has some application in cloning with cardboard. Who knows? maybe even agar.(Like H202) the PH is an amazingly acidic 2.2, but it converts into an alkaline state within the body when ingested. I read somewhere that it biodegrades within a few days and that it has trace amounts of nutrients in it. .............The research goes on and on and on...........  :bye:

OfflinekronnyQ
SuperstudExtraordinaire
 User Gallery

Loc: Anytown USA
    #4063553 - 04/16/05 09:04 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Sounds great to me, give it a try and let us know how she goes.

OfflineFUBAR23
experimenter
Re: Grapefruit Seed Extract: anyone ever tried this? [Re: kronnyQ]
    #4063783 - 04/16/05 10:08 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Anybody wanna try this experiment with me? There will be better information for the community if we can do experiments collectively. more data to work with means more and better results. I have a batch of straw that I pasteurized a couple o days ago that I am attempted to spawn a small amount of mycelium to. I will try using the GSE water on the straw if it starts to contaminate. Any feedback is greatly appreciated! :shroomer: :shroomer: :shroomer: :shroomer: :shroomer: :shroomer: :shroomer: :shroomer: :shroomer: :shroomer: :shroomer: :shroomer: :shroomer: :shroomer: :shroomer: :shroomer: :shroomer: :shroomer: :shroomer: :shroomer: :shroomer: :shroomer: :shroomer: :shroomer: :shroomer:

Offlinekeeperofkeys
formally fubar
Loc: The here and NOW
    #4101837 - 04/27/05 05:25 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

I'm changing my name today. I'm tired of being Fucked Up Beyond All Recognition Twenty-Three hours a day.  <<<<<transformation noises>>>>>  My Metamorphasis Is NOW Complete!!! Anywho, down to business. I used a light concentration of GSE water, 6 drops per gallon, the equivalent of about 15 PPM, just a test to see if the mycelium would be affected, and added this to a pasteurized ziplock bag of straw a couple of days passed it's window of pasteurization. The active ingredient is a compound called Citricidal, it disrupts the cytoplasmic wall of many known pathogens and contaminates, thereby preventing their uptake of amino acids. Then there is a leakage of the cellular contents of low molecular weight, effectively disabling the said pathogens. Aspergillus requires a concentration of some 200 PPM to knock it out, the Aspergillus Niger strain requiring 600 PPM! I also pasteurized a bag of coco coir with the straw water, adding the same concentration of GSE water before making the transfer of mycelium. Well, the strain is HAwaiian, notorious for being a slow colonizer, but I do not think the GSE has hindered the mycelial growth. It seems to really dig the coco coir, the growth is more pronounced and has started going rhizomorphic--WOO HOOO!! I also started a bag of dung/straw/coco coir but this bag is spawning slowest of all-surprisingly. I am planning on isolating all of the new mycelial growth and transferring the vast majority of it to a new pasteurized batch of straw and coco, adding GSE in some bags with varying concentrations up to 200 PPM and as a control, growing the spawn without it in a couple of bags. I will continue to experiment with the old bags of straw and coco coir as the contams start to set in. I'll let ya know how it goes. So far, so good.  :thumbup: :shroomer: :shroomer: :shroomer: :shroomer: :shroomer: :shroomer: :shroomer: :shroomer: :shroomer: :shroomer: :shroomer: :shroomer: :shroomer: :shroomer: :shroomer: :shroomer: :shroomer: :shroomer: :shroomer: :shroomer: :shroomer: :shroomer: :shroomer: :shroomer: :shroomer: :shroomer:

Offline_JJ_
PsychedelicRevolutionary
Loc: NSW, Australia
Re: Grapefruit Seed Extract: anyone ever tried this? [Re: keeperofkeys]
    #4101888 - 04/27/05 06:41 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

From what I read citricidal is a disinfectant that kills fungi/bacteria/virii etc. I don't think this is at all beneficial to add to your substrate. You are seeing growth because it is in such low proportions, and I would guess that adding higher concentrations could only damage your yield. Then again, feel free to prove me wrong :smile:

Offlinekeeperofkeys
formally fubar
Loc: The here and NOW
Re: Grapefruit Seed Extract: anyone ever tried this? [Re: _JJ_]
    #4184634 - 05/16/05 11:22 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Well, all the mycelium died off. Not because of the GSE though. I had to leave the experiment with a friend who left it in his car for a couple of days where it proceeded to get HOTTER than SHIT in the sun and subsequently suffered from thermal mycelial death. DAMMIT. I am recieving spores soon though and I'll try again. :cussing:

OfflineLengthyFellow
I play with poo

Re: Grapefruit Seed Extract: anyone ever tried this? [Re: keeperofkeys]
    #4184967 - 05/17/05 12:45 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

damn

--------------------

Offlinenewurbanfarmer
Stranger
    #15345195 - 11/09/11 03:03 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

i am curious about using GSE or tea tree oil myself. would love for this thread to be resurrected. i would like to find out if the oils could be used to coat an aged shiitake block during of after dunking inbetween flushes to prevent the sporulation of green mold.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Boomr Bag