Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineVALIS
vast activelivingintelligencesystem
 User Gallery

Loc: neverwhere, az
wild vs. indoor-cultivated question
    #4183544 - 05/16/05 06:26 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

I guess this is somewhat similar to the "Why is sterile technique so crucial to home cultivation, when shrooms grow out in the wild just fine?" question - but I don't think the same answer applies to the following:

#1 - In the wild, the dung-loving shrooms don't grow with a casing layer... what process is involved there that allows uncased shrooms to thrive in nature? ( or maybe the question is: what process is lacking in home cultivation which necessitates the requirement for a casing? )

#2 - In the wild, shrooms will spring up within hours/days of a heavy rain... why is it that such a similar occurance in a home cultivation ( such as by over saturating via misting ) would "drown", or otherwise affect adversely, the mycelium?

#3 - In the wild, mycelium is very much subject to a constant pattern of fairly vast differences between high and low temps and humidity every 24 hours... in home cultivation, this obviously does not happen - what sort of positive/negetive affect(s) does this induce upon the natural life-cycle of our favorite fungi cultivated at home, and does this perhaps have something to do with the previous two questions?

I'm asking all this out of basic curiosity, and also because I'm very interested in acheiving a home/indoor cultivation process that largely mirrors ( as much as reasonably possible ) what occurs in the wild.

--------------------
Nature is the Technology of the Divine.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinejamsandwich
Male
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Flag
Re: wild vs. indoor-cultivated question [Re: VALIS]
    #4183564 - 05/16/05 06:31 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

1) have you ever seen a cow patty that has as many shrooms as one of agar's incredible cased masterpieces?

2)i think this has something to do with the fact that the environment in which outdoor mycelium is much larger and drains much better than a rubbermaid

3)not sure, pass to the next person

--------------------
8 years now! lol

InvisibleTODAY
Battletoad
Male

Loc: Metropolis City, USA
Re: wild vs. indoor-cultivated question [Re: VALIS]
    #4183591 - 05/16/05 06:38 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

as far as question #3, i'd say that indoors the environment can stay as close to optimal throughout the entire cycle, maybe producing more potent shrooms than an environment that changes conditions and doesn't stay at optimum all the time. i've heard that indoor shrooms were more potent than outdoor shrooms so maybe that's the reason.

--------------------

ca'rouse (k-rouz)
intr.v.
To engage in boisterous, drunken merrymaking.

OfflineAbermelin
Gnome Hat

Loc: In The Mycelial Network
Re: wild vs. indoor-cultivated question [Re: TODAY]
    #4184557 - 05/16/05 10:51 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

for #1, if you ever studied a cow patty, you will notice that the outer crust that forms on the patty acts like a protective layer, aka a casing. from what ive observed, mushrooms wont directly break this layer, they most oftentimes will seek a crack in the patty to grow through.

#2, while wild mushrooms have to wait for rainy day, then a couple hot days to attain the correct incubation temperature, moisture level and humidity, home cultivators keep this equilibrium at a constant level, providing much quicker colonization and fruiting times. you can very easily drown your cakes in water then allowed them to dry out a little if you wanted to. what do you think dunking is?

#3, dont quote me on this, but i imagine that the vast enviromental conditions are what cause it to take 6-8 weeks to colonize, whereas our homegrowns can colonize in 2 weeks.

dont mirror what happens in the wild. thats equal to trying to grow weed outdoors, its just going to attract bugs and produce a poor product.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds