Home | Community | Message Board

Vaposhop
Please support our sponsors.

Community >> Physical and Mental Well-Being

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleWoodsCall
own it
 User Gallery

Loc: eye of the beerholder
Hypothyroidism anybody?
    #4182421 - 05/16/05 03:41 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

I'm constantly sleeping, or at least wanting to, and if any food is around, I'll eat it.

The general malaise is what's really taking toll on me.  My emotions flounder and I can never grasp at any given moment how I TRULY feel, even if I think I may be the slightest bit happy.  The doctors call it Dysthymia, I think.

I've had a hard time concentrating on even the simplest things, such as picking up after myself, certain tasks at work, and school lectures which normally would have me reeled in and totally captured my attention.

I was maybe 13 when the syptoms first started to appear, but in a hurry to label me as a depressed/angst-ridden teen, the psychologists, psychiatrists, and doctors did not hesitate to put me on PAXIL, which did nothing to alleviate my problems AT ALL.  I quit taking it without telling anyone (I was on a very low dose) and eventually ended up getting bloodwork done when I was 17.  It was then I found out I had to take a pill every day for the rest of my life.  That did not go over well with me; having a condition that requires daily maintenance until I die left me feeling quite vulnerable.  But I stopped taking the hormone once and realized about 4 weeks later that I made a big mistake and have since convinced myself to try my damndest to take it every day.

Here I am, stuck in a rut.

I have been using certain stmulants every so often to combat the syptoms of being tired, hungry, and the possibility of putting on more than a few extra pounds.  I know it's not a wise idea, but it helps for the time being, until I get my blood drawn and my hormone dosage worked out.  It's been two months since I took my last pill, and now I'm waiting to get to the doctor.  My insurance changed after a promotion and the two major providers at the insurance company split, leaving me to wait for new forms to arrive and to find another doctor.

Ho hum.

Is there anybody that is currently dealing with hypothyroidism?  Just looking for someone to share experiences/feelings... 

:tongue:

--------------------
Live free or die.

Edited by WoodsCall (05/16/05 06:52 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineGringoLoco
I spit in theface of peoplewho ain't cool.
 User Gallery

Loc: Monterey, CA
Re: Hypothyroidism anybody? [Re: WoodsCall]
    #4187346 - 05/17/05 05:18 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

I don't know anything about the Paxil stuff or skittishness. I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism when I was 12 and have been prescribed a small dose of Synthroid every day. Actually, I don't even take my pills every day, and I don't really notice anything when I don't take it. Last time I saw the doctor he was all "Hm, maybe you don't need this anymore...". You sound alot different than what I'm like, though, so I doubt I could help you at all.

Invisiblesoochi
Chef
 User Gallery

Loc: The Richest County
    #4190533 - 05/18/05 12:48 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Hypothyroidism runs in my fathers side of the family, and all the symptoms you described are pretty much in line with the disorder. I currently have to take synthroid for the rest of my life. My doctor suggested excercise which help tremendously both physically and mentally. I still have a feeling of lethargy and scatterbrain which you describe, but I've learned over the years to try and catch myself and correct them as I go. My family has also been very supportive and insturmental in helping me manage my life.

--------------------
Wee, sleeket, cowran, tim'rous beastie,
O, what panic's in thy breastie!
Thou need na start awa sae hasty,
Wi' bickering brattle!

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 9th Dimension
    #4190706 - 05/18/05 01:47 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

If you want to try the natural way.. I would suggest the following herbs that will greatly aid to regulate the thyroid gland - bayberry bark, scullcap, black cohosh, white oak bark

as for diet I would avoid all red meat, white sugar products, white flour products, tea, coffee, cola, liquor, things made with baking soda & powder.. and all denatured/refined foods.

As for what you SHOULD eat.. you cannot go wrong with whole grains - bran, oatmeal, any whole grains. Soybean and soy products. LOTS of FRESH and RAW fruits and veggies - greens of all kinds, cucumber, okra, asparagus, onion, lentil, peas, black olives, beets, carrots, celery, eggplant, radishes, parsnips, lima beans,baked potato (WITH skin)...... strawberry, oranges, apricots, blueberry, peaches, pears, apples, lemons, pineapple, grapefruit, cherries, limes, raspberry, mango, etc... peanuts.. almonds, walnuts, pecans, etc. etc.

Eat food in its raw and natural state as much as possible. Avoid all refined/processed and greasy foods. And of course.. drink tons of fresh, clean water. 8 cups a day is the bare minimum. More is better.

If you want to get rid of the disease, you have to change the source that it originated from.. which is more than likely your diet. Treating the symptoms will not do anything but treat the symptoms.

--------------------

Invisiblesoochi
Chef
 User Gallery

Loc: The Richest County
Re: Hypothyroidism anybody? [Re: Shroomism]
    #4192995 - 05/18/05 11:22 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

It's more genetically related I believe than what you would perceive as a treatable "disease." This is apparent everytime I visit my dad's relatives in Canada. we're all skinny, exhibit mood swings, lethargic and crave food. Not until my dad started medication did he start to gain weight and level off mentally. My oldest brother also exhibits some of these characteristics but not as intense as my father. This condition doesn't run my life, most times I actually forget I even have it. It's been desicions of my own to benefit my life that have helped the most; being consciously aware of your actions and choices you make play the biggest role in attaining normalcy in life.

--------------------
Wee, sleeket, cowran, tim'rous beastie,
O, what panic's in thy breastie!
Thou need na start awa sae hasty,
Wi' bickering brattle!

InvisibleWoodsCall
own it
 User Gallery

Loc: eye of the beerholder
Re: Hypothyroidism anybody? [Re: GringoLoco]
    #4201288 - 05/20/05 10:01 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

When I do have my prescription handy, I don't take my pills everyday either.  The only time I start to feel the change is when it goes over a couple of weeks, and even then, the change is so slow.  I don't realize I'm heading into a funk until all my emotions just snowball into one big mess.

My dose of synthroid is also very low, especially in comparison to my two aunts and grandmother, who take over 100mcg a day, which is twice the amount I take.  I wonder if dosage is exponential...

Hypothyroidism runs on my father's side, but he donesn't have it.  I spose it passed through him.  It is mainly prevalent in women, like myself; a small percentage of men compared to women have it.  Are you male or female?

Exercise does help greatly, but it's a matter of getting off my lazy ass and doing it.  I have a pass to the rec center and used to lift weights daily, along with my job which is fairly rigorous exercise.  Even though I am no doctor, I strongly believe moderate exercise can improve the conditions of many illnesses and diseases.

Shroomism--
Thanks for your guidance on the healthy diet.  Exercise and your prescribed diet combined I'm sure would help greatly with perhaps the weight gain and hunger, considering many of the NO NO foods you listed are "addicting."  And when the mind and body are depressed as such, I crave those foods.  Luckily I do work in a produce department, so it's very easy and convenient for me to work nutritious fruits and veggies into my diet.  Though, being single and living alone makes me want to just buy the easiest CRAP available.  Also I am head of the organic and nutritional foods section;  I had to do a ot of research about those products in order to inform customers and have thus learned a lot about how certain foods affect the body.

I haven't yet gone the herbal route to try to ease the symptoms of my condition, but it is a viable option.  My new doctor is a DO, not an MD, and practices wholistic healing.  I will discuss with her any possible side effects of taking herbal supplements.  God knows I don't want to fuck anything up further!!

Thanks guys for putting in your words, it's much appreciated  :grin:  It's always comforting to hear it from others.

--------------------
Live free or die.

Edited by WoodsCall (05/27/05 04:03 PM)

OfflineEnCHaNTeDHoBBiT
Drug Connoisseur

Loc: Crawling on The Forest Fl...
    #4210822 - 05/23/05 06:09 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

It's said kelp can be a big help to people with hypothyroidism. Maybe you might want to ask a doctor about taking kelp. Kelp is available at most stores. Iodine is necessary for proper thyroid function. Iodine deficiency(before salt became iodized) has been blamed as a cause of hypothyroidism. You might want to look into getting some kelp if you find you have hypothyroidism.

--------------------
"Statements above are absolutely fictional fragments of delusional, reoccuring Dreams."

InvisibleZero7a1
Leaving YourWasteland

Loc: Passing Cloud
    #4210963 - 05/23/05 06:43 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Can you get ulcers from that?

OfflineEnCHaNTeDHoBBiT
Drug Connoisseur

Loc: Crawling on The Forest Fl...
Re: Hypothyroidism anybody? [Re: Zero7a1]
    #4211360 - 05/23/05 08:30 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Ulcers from kelp? No I highly doubt that Kelp itself could ever cause ulcers. It's seaweed and is food for many sea animals and many people enjoy eating kelp too. It's high in iodine and other trace minerals but nothing that could cause ulcers.

InvisibleZen Peddler
Male User Gallery

Loc: orbit
    #4255399 - 06/04/05 11:42 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

I had the opposite - Hyperthyroidism when i first got another disorder (tough luck, but my body just went haywire)
I was anxious, hyperactive, restless, lost 15KG in like three weeks or something crazy, heart palps, hand tremors - it was scary as...
Its much more easily medicated than hypothyroidism. My hyperthyroidism can be cured, but the other physical disorder i have took a lot longer to get over.

--------------------

InvisibleJellric
altered statesman

Loc: non-local
Re: Hypothyroidism anybody? [Re: Shroomism]
    #4257475 - 06/04/05 11:12 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

If you want to get rid of the disease, you have to change the source that it originated from.. which is more than likely your diet. Treating the symptoms will not do anything but treat the symptoms.

:thumbup:

--------------------
I AM what Willis was talkin' bout.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Community >> Physical and Mental Well-Being