Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineWronguy
Trusted Cultivator
How do you guys pick your pins that are growing on the sides of a casing?
    #4182266 - 05/16/05 03:01 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Well I've got a problem. I have some bulk tubs going right now and I made the mistake of not covering them up before I fruited. Some small pins started to form on the side and I quickly covered the bottom and sides up with black trash bags (doubled).

Unfortunately the damage was already done. I have some monster fruits on the sides that are pushing the casing away from the sides by some 1/2 inch. How the hell am I supposed to pick these?

My idea was to pick all of the shrooms from the top, invert the substrate on my hand so it comes out of the container, and have someone assist me in picking them from there. Will that work okay?

I don't want to screw things up for the subsequent flushes, so any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinepsilocyben
bad guy

Re: How do you guys pick your pins that are growing on the sides of a casing? [Re: Wronguy]
    #4182319 - 05/16/05 03:12 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

your casing should pull away from the sides by the time that the first flush is done.
you might be able to get to them in.
make sure you fill in the edges afterwards and in the future to avoid the same problem.
ones thet grow from the sides will take monster chunks out of your subs too.
one thing to remember, is that when picking these, the "twist and pull" philosophy does not work, and will often leave tissue behind.
wiggle them back and forth until they free up- then yank 'em out of there.

--------------------

OfflineWronguy
Trusted Cultivator
Re: How do you guys pick your pins that are growing on the sides of a casing? [Re: psilocyben]
    #4182347 - 05/16/05 03:20 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

I appreciate the help on this, but I'm afraid that they are too deep for me to simply pull them off. What do you think about removing the entire casing in one chunk and pullin them as I normally would?

Will the substrate stick together like a big cake?

OfflineWronguy
Trusted Cultivator
Re: How do you guys pick your pins that are growing on the sides of a casing? [Re: Wronguy]
    #4182475 - 05/16/05 04:02 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Anyone else have an opinion on this?

InvisibleColonel Kurtz Ph.D
What What?
Male User Gallery
Loc: Shadow Moses
    #4183726 - 05/16/05 09:07 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

I have the same problem Augustin, but it's harder than it looks, you can't just invert it over your hand or it will pan the casing layer. Also in my case they're not growing upwards, so I have to take the casing out.

I'll get someone to hold the casing for a moment (with clean hands) and fast fast fast take the mushrooms out. Should work if done fast and carefully I think.

However I've never tried this yet, so I'll update you when in a few days when it's done if you want... If you get to do it before please keep me updated :laugh:

:mushroom2: :mushroom2:

--------------------
:whatwhat:

There's no better way to rock out than with your cock out!!

Offlineoddiseus
The PsychofunkFirefly

Loc: Doldrums & Faultlines
Re: How do you guys pick your pins that are growing on the sides of a casing? [Re: Colonel Kurtz Ph.D]
    #4183772 - 05/16/05 09:17 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

I usually just use my hand and pop the casing onto it then harvest the ones growing on the side like normal.
I have even flipped the casing over and put it back in upside down. I got two consecutive flushies like that. Try it out its not like if you mess up you cant make another case right??

-Odd

--------------------
Though you can't go back and make a new beginning. You can start today to make a new end.

Traveller, there is no path, paths are made by walking

If Jesus was jewish...Why does he have a mexican name??

OfflineWronguy
Trusted Cultivator
Re: How do you guys pick your pins that are growing on the sides of a casing? [Re: Colonel Kurtz Ph.D]
    #4183896 - 05/16/05 09:37 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Deepman said:
I have the same problem Augustin, but it's harder than it looks, you can't just invert it over your hand or it will pan the casing layer. Also in my case they're not growing upwards, so I have to take the casing out.

I'll get someone to hold the casing for a moment (with clean hands) and fast fast fast take the mushrooms out. Should work if done fast and carefully I think.

However I've never tried this yet, so I'll update you when in a few days when it's done if you want... If you get to do it before please keep me updated :laugh:

:mushroom2: :mushroom2:

I plan on doing this on Wednesday night, so I'll keep you posted. I did not plan on salvaging the casing layer. I pretty figured I would end up flattening it. After I harvest my shrooms on the top layer, I'll gently scrape the casing layer off, remove any aborts or small worthless pins, remove the substrate with gloves on, repeat the same procedure for the side mushrooms/pins, and re-case the entire substrate.

I'll likely place the substrate back into the container with a trash bag on the bottom. As long as I keep the conditions clean, I don't see why this would not work.

Unless someone disagrees for good reason.

What What?
Male User Gallery
    #4183964 - 05/16/05 09:49 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

I don't know, I worry about the casing breaking in my hands... but I guess it would hold itself right? Also that method might now work for me, my casing weights 2,5KG, the other one about 3KG...

I think you've got a good way to do it there, keep me updated please, I'm doing the same on thursday. :mushroom2: :mushroom2:

--------------------

OfflineWronguy
Trusted Cultivator
    #4184109 - 05/16/05 10:24 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Here's some pics for you guys to see what I'm up against.

Offlineselar_doir
boner sponge

#4184140 - 05/16/05 10:34 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

why not pick the ones on top, then flip it onto a big fresh piece of plastic wrap, pick the ones off the side, then put the container back over the casing and flip it back?

OfflineWronguy
Trusted Cultivator
Re: How do you guys pick your pins that are growing on the sides of a casing? [Re: selar_doir]
    #4184155 - 05/16/05 10:38 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

That maybe an idea. I'll give it some thought. Thanks for the input.

InvisibleGnuBobo
Frilly Cuffs Extraordinaire
 User Gallery

Loc: Charisma
    #4185406 - 05/17/05 05:46 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Careful on inverting poo casings...even after the first flush.  Just something to be aware of...if the bottom of the substrate isn't 100% colonized this can expose a nutrient-rich, perfect environment for certain green molds to thrive.  :blush:

--------------------
Jerry Garcia. JERRY GARCIA! JERRY GARCIA!!!!

OfflineWronguy
Trusted Cultivator
Re: How do you guys pick your pins that are growing on the sides of a casing? [Re: GnuBobo]
    #4185475 - 05/17/05 07:23 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Excellent point. I'll keep that in mind. I do believe that I'm 100% colonized though.

What What?
Male User Gallery
    #4185482 - 05/17/05 07:36 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Wronguy said:
Excellent point. I'll keep that in mind. I do believe that I'm 100% colonized though.

:lol:

--------------------

What What?
Male User Gallery
    #4190135 - 05/18/05 09:45 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Ok, I just did it and it wasn't too difficult, took it in ona hand and remove the mushrooms with the other, BUT I had one problem... one of the casings cracked under it's own weight. I put it in the tray again, I'll keep you updated.

--------------------

OfflineWronguy
Trusted Cultivator
    #4190214 - 05/18/05 10:20 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Thanks for the update Deepman. I did it last night as well. No problems though. I removed the substrate, carefully scraped off the casing layer with my fingers, and pulled all of the side pins off.

It's a good thing I did this, as there were some aborts on the lower side that were rotting pretty badly. All in all, no problems. I placed the substrate back into the tub and re-cased on the sides and the top. I also gave a good misting as well.

My first flush was awesome. Unfortunately I didn't take the time to weigh much of it, but the majority of it weighed between 30-40 grams each, on about 50% of the mushrooms. I suspect I have a total wet weight of 250-300 grams. I'm hoping to yield about 2-3 dry ounces when all is said and done. Some of those EQ stems are solid!

I'll post some picks with the weight when they're dry.

What What?
Male User Gallery
    #4190245 - 05/18/05 10:36 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Did you see my revived casing topic? Check out those yields :laugh:

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation