Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
InvisibleAnnapurna1
liberal pussy
Female User Gallery
Loc: innsmouth..MA
star wars ..revenge of the shrub...
    #4181848 - 05/16/05 10:59 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

http://movies.yahoo.com/mv/news/ap/20050515/111618582000.html

Quote:

'[star] Wars' Raises Questions on U.S. Policy
Sunday May 15 12:37 PM ET

Without Michael Moore and "Fahrenheit 9/11" at the Cannes Film Festival this time, it was left to George Lucas and "Star Wars" to pique European ire over the state of world relations and the United States' role in it.

Lucas' themes of democracy on the skids and a ruler preaching war to preserve the peace predate "Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith" by almost 30 years. Yet viewers Sunday and Lucas himself noted similarities between the final chapter of his sci-fi saga and our own troubled times.

Cannes audiences made blunt comparisons between "Revenge of the Sith" the story of Anakin Skywalker's fall to the dark side and the rise of an emperor through warmongering to President Bush's war on terrorism and the invasion of Iraq.

Two lines from the movie especially resonated:

"This is how liberty dies. With thunderous applause," bemoans Padme Amidala (Natalie Portman) as the galactic Senate cheers dictator-in-waiting Palpatine (Ian McDiarmid) while he announces a crusade against the Jedi.

"If you're not with me, then you're my enemy," Hayden Christensen's Anakin soon to become villain Darth Vader tells former mentor Obi-Wan Kenobi (Ewan McGregor). The line echoes Bush's international ultimatum after the Sept. 11 attacks, "Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists."

"That quote is almost a perfect citation of Bush," said Liam Engle, a 23-year-old French-American aspiring filmmaker. "Plus, you've got a politician trying to increase his power to wage a phony war."

Though the plot was written years ago, "the anti-Bush diatribe is clearly there," Engle said.

The film opens Wednesday in parts of Europe and Thursday in the United States and many other countries. At the Cannes premiere Sunday night, actors in white stormtrooper costumes paraded up and down the red carpet as guests strolled in, while an orchestra played the "Star Wars" theme.

Lucas said he patterned his story after historical transformations from freedom to fascism, never figuring when he started his prequel trilogy in the late 1990s that current events might parallel his space fantasy.

"As you go through history, I didn't think it was going to get quite this close. So it's just one of those recurring things," Lucas said at a Cannes news conference. "I hope this doesn't come true in our country.

"Maybe the film will waken people to the situation," Lucas joked.

That comment echoes Moore's rhetoric at Cannes last year, when his anti-Bush documentary "Fahrenheit 9/11" won the festival's top honor.

Unlike Moore, whose Cannes visit came off like an anybody-but-Bush campaign stop, Lucas never mentioned the president by name but was eager to speak his mind on U.S. policy in Iraq, careful again to note that he created the story long before the Bush-led occupation there.

"When I wrote it, Iraq didn't exist," Lucas said, laughing.

"We were just funding Saddam Hussein and giving him weapons of mass destruction. We didn't think of him as an enemy at that time. We were going after Iran and using him as our surrogate, just as we were doing in Vietnam. ... The parallels between what we did in Vietnam and what we're doing in Iraq now are unbelievable."

The prequel trilogy is based on a back-story outline Lucas created in the mid-1970s for the original three "Star Wars" movies, so the themes percolated out of the Vietnam War and the Nixon-Watergate era, he said.

Lucas began researching how democracies can turn into dictatorships with full consent of the electorate.

In ancient Rome, "why did the senate after killing Caesar turn around and give the government to his nephew?" Lucas said. "Why did France after they got rid of the king and that whole system turn around and give it to Napoleon? It's the same thing with Germany and Hitler.

"You sort of see these recurring themes where a democracy turns itself into a dictatorship, and it always seems to happen kind of in the same way, with the same kinds of issues, and threats from the outside, needing more control. A democratic body, a senate, not being able to function properly because everybody's squabbling, there's corruption."

--------------------

"anchor blocks counteract the process of pontiprobation..while omalean globes regulize the pressure"...

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblevampirism
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Re: star wars ..revenge of the shrub... [Re: Annapurna1]
    #4181910 - 05/16/05 11:20 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

hahahah

great. that just ruins star wars

InvisibleDieCommie

Re: star wars ..revenge of the shrub... [Re: vampirism]
    #4181923 - 05/16/05 11:24 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Morrowind said: that just ruins star wars

Exactly what I thought. Oh well, Star Wars was already ruined with Phantom Menace.

Invisiblevampirism
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Re: star wars ..revenge of the shrub... [Re: DieCommie]
    #4181929 - 05/16/05 11:25 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

lies!!!!

i liked the first two actually, as stand-alone movies they were not very good, but as the first two episodes in the 6 episode series, they were very strong

InvisibleDieCommie

#4181977 - 05/16/05 11:48 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

I liked 2 as well, but 1  :puke:  The problems i had with 1 is way to much of stupid Jar Jar, and the long boring pod race.  Also I thought Darth Maul was real cheesy for a bad guy.  The problems i had with 2 is Anakin couldnt act, and his character seemed more like a spoiled brat from california then a jedi turning to evil.  Oh yea i also hate how the force got changed from a mystical spirit that binds us to some chemical reaction in the cell.  Other than that i enjoyed 2.

OfflineDoom
Rogue

Loc: ghost-train city
    #4181978 - 05/16/05 11:48 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

as if jedi wasnt a rallying call against state operated militaristic exploitation.

OfflineCatalysis
EtherealEngineer

Re: star wars ..revenge of the shrub... [Re: Annapurna1]
    #4183168 - 05/16/05 05:03 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Actually, the Jedi were the corrupt war mongering leaders pushing "democracy" by force and persecuting the Sith, forcing them to remain beyond the outer rim.

The Sith rebelled, infiltrated the corrupt government and destroyed it from the inside. This is how Anikan brought "balance" to the force. These people need to bone up on their star wars knowledge before they try to poorly twist pop-culture into supporting their agenda.

InvisibleYidakiMan
Stranger
Male User Gallery
    #4183229 - 05/16/05 05:15 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

So, someone analysed a story and compared it to modern times and it ruined the story for you?

Shit. You better not go to Church. I hear they compare centuries old fictional tales to modern times. That might ruin the Bible or whatever other holy book you prescribe to.

Better not go to College. If someone applies old ideas to modern times it just might ruin it. If I am forced to use the Pythagorean theorum in a 21st century context.... well shit that's it. Its over.

Shit. You best ought just sit and not think. Because then you will think and COMPARE and CONTRAST some random old idea to modern day times. Then that old idea is ruined and YOU are to blame. Whats left then?

Shit. If comparing old ideas to modern day times ruins something for you, I dont think there is much for you besides suicide.

Edited by YidakiMan (05/16/05 05:18 PM)

OfflineCatalysis
EtherealEngineer

Re: star wars ..revenge of the shrub... [Re: YidakiMan]
    #4183290 - 05/16/05 05:28 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Dude, i think he was just joking and pointing out how these people with agendas can degrade the romance and fantasy of a film by comparing it to lame, mundane, real-world events in the way that best suits them.

Don't complain about it if you didn't get it.

Can't I go enjoy a movie without wackos running around comparing the bad guy to George Bush? Give me a fucking break. It sooo predictable.

Why don't these people make their own metaphorical movie about how much george bush sucks? I'll tell you why...Its because it is way more fun to take a popular american movie and try to cleverly twist it around so as to make it look ironic that "hey, americans actually hate themselves just like we do...look their own movies even say so". So lame and so predictable from these pieces of work.

These people also despise the fact that american cinema is so succesfull. There was even talk at Cannes this year of forming a "no american films allowed" club where only non-american films are backed and promoted. They are fucking livid that americans always take center stage at THEIR film festival.

Why do you think Moore's film won TOP honors there? I don't care how much you hate Bush and how much you thought that film was true, it was no cinematic masterpiece and everyone knows it.

Edited by Catalysis (05/16/05 05:45 PM)

Invisiblecarbonhoots
old hand

Loc: BC Canada
Re: star wars ..revenge of the shrub... [Re: Catalysis]
    #4183493 - 05/16/05 06:07 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

persecuting the Sith, forcing them to remain beyond the outer rim.

You've got a bizare angle into this story!

What is the outer rim? And when were they forced beyond it?

--------------------
  -I'd rather have a frontal lobotomy than a bottle in front of me

CANADIAN CENTER FOR POLICY ALTERNATIVES

InvisibleYidakiMan
Stranger
Male User Gallery
Re: star wars ..revenge of the shrub... [Re: Catalysis]
    #4183524 - 05/16/05 06:20 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Well, you are right about one thing. I had wondered if he was sarcastic or whether the story was ruined because of the plot hints.

But you still seem content on ruining it for yourself by obsessing over some moron with moronic comparisons. In fact, your assertion that there is a wacko running around in a theater comparing the bad guy to George Bush is proof of that. In fact, there is no such wacko. In fact, you made it up. Why do you go into a theater, worrying about what is going on outside or what would never happen?

There is no wacko disrupting anything. Just some stupid unknown reporter of unknown nationality that took random quotes of George Lucas on premiere night so that he/she could write a comparison of a futuristic fictional story to real human events in history.

The only nutcase is some amateur french filmmaker that insists "anti-Bush diatribe is clearly there". But yet, everything in the article proves this random stupid frechmen wrong. Lucas even says himself that at the time of writing the story Iraq was a friend of the U.S.A.

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Loc: Fractallife's gym
Re: star wars ..revenge of the shrub... [Re: YidakiMan]
    #4183637 - 05/16/05 06:51 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

They will never let facts get in the way of a good deconstructionist whine.

--------------------

OfflineCatalysis
EtherealEngineer

Re: star wars ..revenge of the shrub... [Re: carbonhoots]
    #4183671 - 05/16/05 06:59 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

carbonhoots said:
Quote:

persecuting the Sith, forcing them to remain beyond the outer rim.

You've got a bizare angle into this story!

What is the outer rim?  And when were they forced beyond it?

Well the sith were never really forced beyond it.  They existed beyond it as a peaceful society that practiced a powerful form of magic and religion.  The jedi order was created by a force-sensitive who explored both the "light" and "dark" sides but prohibited any other jedi from exploring the "dark" side and thus prevented him from finding ultimate truth and wisdom.  This perverted form of religion thrived and eventually established control over the galactic republic and maintained it through force.

Eventually, the sith world was discovered and the wiser of the Jedi knew that the sith would soon fall under control of the Jedi who would eliminate their full teachings and the power it held.  He eventually decided to lead the sith in a rebellion against the Jedi and thus began a war for true freedom of religion that would rage on for thousands of years.

The "light" side is rife with fear and repression of feelings and emotion while the dark side contains true power and potential.

Yidakiman, you got me there.  :grin:  Im just a star wars geek so its annoying to have it manipulated to prove some political point.  Its not really a big deal though.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom