Home | Community | Message Board

Edabea
Please support our sponsors.

Community >> Physical and Mental Well-Being

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineNoviseer
Percussion isFree
 User Gallery

A little exercise really DOES work wonders.
    #4179009 - 05/15/05 06:12 PM (12 years, 14 days ago)

My mood has been a bit off lately... my summer break is just beginning, but none of my friends are home from their schools yet, I'm just kind of spinning wheels at home waiting.  So I"ve been a bit down.

I woke up this morning like "ah shit, I'm feeling down again." 

So I went on a 15 minute run, and now I feel awesome.  Just goes to show you, like they say, exercise actually does work.  Thats all :smile:

--------------------

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

Loc: In the jungle
Re: A little exercise really DOES work wonders. [Re: Noviseer]
    #4180032 - 05/15/05 10:47 PM (12 years, 14 days ago)

here here!  The same thing happens to me every time.  If I stop exercising, I sink into a hellish, possibly terminative depression.

If I hop back on that treadmill for an hour every day, I become one of the happiest, well-adjusted people in the world. 

My exercise schedule is my medication.  :thumbup:

It really is amazing how much good physical exercise can be for some people.

OfflineSurwinMaxawow
TONKA TOY
Male User Gallery

Re: A little exercise really DOES work wonders. [Re: MOTH]
    #4181234 - 05/16/05 05:42 AM (12 years, 14 days ago)

Wow...thanks a lot guys. I have really been out of touch with good excerise for a whlle now, and indeed I have been striggling with more depression it seems. I hate depression so much. I've womdered if good physical exercise could really help with this, but after reading this post, I feel that question has been answered. Thanks for sharing this.

OfflineJimmyStewart
Strange
Re: A little exercise really DOES work wonders. [Re: SurwinMaxawow]
    #4182283 - 05/16/05 03:04 PM (12 years, 13 days ago)

Exercise raises the dopamine levels in the brain, it's great for mild depression. I always get on an hour bike ride when depressed, and come in feeling breat. Just being outside and getting sun and fresh air help me too.

OfflineGus
Back in town.

Loc: Quebec, Canada
    #4182438 - 05/16/05 03:46 PM (12 years, 13 days ago)

Yep, nothing like going running in the woods! A nice shower after that and you're on the top of the world :grin:
Same thing for working out and eating healthy. After a while you definatly feel better.

And having some girls saying Wow, great abs! when you take off your shirt is always an ego booster. Im so shallow sometimes :smirk:

OfflineTangerines
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: woodwork Flag
    #4236374 - 05/30/05 01:11 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Maybe I should start exercising because I notice I always have a lot of free time and nothing to do and feel slightly depressed. Exercising would help the depression and give me something to do in the meantime.

Invisibleorechron
LIVEWRONG
 User Gallery

Loc: Fallout Zone
Re: A little exercise really DOES work wonders. [Re: Tangerines]
    #4237435 - 05/30/05 06:54 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Making yourself a better person is always a great way to spend your free time, regardless of whether or not you feel depressed.

--------------------
Live by the foma that make you brave, and kind, and healthy, and happy.

InvisibleSociety
Pizza Guy

Loc: Eating pizza
Re: A little exercise really DOES work wonders. [Re: orechron]
    #4237547 - 05/30/05 07:42 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Exercise works unbelievable wonders. I was outside yesterday for 3 and half hours straight running and walking... just enjoying the honeysuckle and country peacefulness along with the beautiful lake.

--------------------
Delicious Pizza

Offlinebhopkinz
Stranger
Re: A little exercise really DOES work wonders. [Re: Society]
    #4237628 - 05/30/05 08:12 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

exercise truly is great. i think alot of people dont indulge in it/give up on it is that they dont make it interesting for themselves. i would recommend martial arts to any1 looking to get into exercise.not only do they incite u to get better by training (this includes parcticing the art, cardio and lifting weights)but they are a great confidence booster. knowing that you can protect urself in certain situations is great for anxiety and it really gets ur mind off things.

at the moment im training in MMA approximately 3/4 hours per day and i feel GREAT. this coming from a guy who spent most of high school smoking pot and didnt play much sports at all, let alone be on any o the sports teams. i just wanna say set urself goals and dont let anybody try and put u down. ull feel better, look better.it will help alot in the process of being able to love urself.

InvisibleSociety
Pizza Guy

Loc: Eating pizza
Re: A little exercise really DOES work wonders. [Re: bhopkinz]
    #4240462 - 05/31/05 04:49 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Don't forget Pilates!

--------------------
Delicious Pizza

Invisiblehortonfrank404
anonymous moss
Re: A little exercise really DOES work wonders. [Re: Society]
    #5334814 - 02/24/06 02:47 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

I'm already in pretty good shape, but I love the feeling I get after I get back from a hard bike ride. (for me that can be like 50 miles in two hours). Sure, I may feel kinda crappy when I'm on the bike, but then once I'm home, I feel like I can breathe more deeply and that almost gives me a kind of body high. It's the same as a runner's high; it sure is neat :smile:. Plus, when I've improved my fitness, it's like all of my hard work has paid off. I like being able to ride my bike where others have to drive !  I have to agree , exercise most definitely is a confidence booster.

Offlinebrowndustin
dustybuddy

Re: A little exercise really DOES work wonders. [Re: hortonfrank404]
    #5338050 - 02/25/06 03:44 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Excersize is absolutely excellent!!! Especially for depression. You guys are totally correct.

There's been times where I've just broken down or had an anxiety attack and a walk/run did wonders. Now that I have my emotions down excellent, I don't have this problem. But occaisionally when I hit the breaking point and feel like nothing can cheer me up, a run/walk/work out will lift my spirits 100%. Almost nothing else can drag me out of the holes I've dug myself at times, but excersizing works. Now I'm fully dedicated and both my mind and body feel healthier than ever.

I'll always advocate excersize to my depressed homies. My friend is a really cool person but gets depressed often.. he runs around the lake by my house. That puppie's 7km and he runs around it in less than 20 minutes now, sometimes he'll do it 3 times a day! The fellow's obviously a spectacular athlete now, but he says he does it for his mind more than anything. Props to him. He knows where it's at!

--------------------
When the stress burns my brain it's like acid raindrops
maryjane is the only thing that makes the pain stop

Offlinedisperse
Stranger
    #5355899 - 03/02/06 01:57 AM (11 years, 2 months ago)

exercise is vital to your well-being. the fact that your mood improved that much after running shows how much you really needed it. exercise increases oxygen to every cell in your body, releases endorphins in your brain, and conditions your body. it's shown that regular exercise increases mental function, decreases depression, and strengthens your cardiovascular system. part of the peace of mind comes from knowing that you are doing something good for yourself. for those that don't like the idea of running consider walking while taking deep breaths. it's best if you can do this in a place without a lot of traffic.

OfflineThe_Hobbit
Bilbo Baggins
 User Gallery

Loc: The Shire
Re: A little exercise really DOES work wonders. [Re: disperse]
    #5356365 - 03/02/06 07:07 AM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Ain't nothing like some bodyweight squats, biotch. http://www.weighttrainersunited.com/getinshape.html

I do them after stretching after running. Or as part of a bigger bodyweight workout including neck bridges, which is the only exercise I value more.

Having a strong jaw = you da man.

--------------------
Smoking my hobbit leaf...
Please keep in mind that I am just a human being. Please read my posts carefully and interpret their meaning for yourself.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Community >> Physical and Mental Well-Being