Home | Community | Message Board

Kratom Eye
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Found: Mushroom Village. Need ID
    #4177563 - 05/15/05 11:34 AM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Newbie hunter here, and i happened to stumble across a village of mushrooms growing right outside my house.

First, the pictures.

The mushrooms are growing in southern texas, about an hour from San Antonio, where in the summertime its very humid. They are in a huge, rectangular, brink planter, which consists of cow manure and dirt (originally intended for gardening), partially under shade.

The underside of the gills are a darkish color, they look purplish-brown, and some look very dark grey. For the most part, the majority are a very dark purple-color. The gills are not attached, they are split apart from each other.

The mushrooms that have grown more range about an inch in cap size, and the stems would be about 2-4 inches long. The smaller ones are still about half an inch, and their stem sizes are about 1-3 inches.

The stems are skinny, a brownish color. Some of the stems have a bit of a light brown/golden color, and some have an off red. For the most part, they are a brownish color that fades up into a purplish color, closer to the underside of the mushroom. Stems are smooth, long, and full. Note a few stems are SLIGHTLY hollow.. Im talking fracture line hollow. Also, stems become soft if squeezed.

The caps are convex, outward. The coloring seems to range, as does the texture. The healthier looking caps have an off-white background, with piles of gold, browns, off-yellows and light reds. The goldish tends to me on the top of the cap, which is almost conical. Texture is smooth and the caps round off once they get to the underside area. Caps break easily too.

The ones that look more unhealthy have.. what would look like tremors in the ground. There are crevaces(sp?) that surge through them, like there had been an earthquake inside the mushroom. Those ones are more of a reddish color, with what looks like black burn marks. This could be from partial sun? Or maybe bug rot. These don't bruise at all.. so i take it they're dead ones.

The healthier mushrooms tend to bruise a lightish blue-purple-grey color, and the spore print came out very dark purple (from the healthier looking ones)

Wish me luck on a good find. If it is to be, then me and a bro are going to brew the Ayahuesca(sp?) vine for 5 hours, then mix it up with mushrooms.

OH, and if more pics are needed, it is not a problem.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
 User Gallery

Loc: In the woods
Re: Found: Mushroom Village. Need ID [Re: Strength]
    #4178350 - 05/15/05 02:50 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Those appear to be inactive members of the genus Panaeolus, close to Panaeolus sphinctrinus. Save your vine for another day.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Jump to top. Pages: 1

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification