Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineWronguy
Trusted Cultivator
Concerns about going on vacation and leaving my bulks.
    #4175516 - 05/14/05 05:00 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Well I am lucky enough to be going out of the country for a week and my EQ bulk just started pinning 3 days ago. I have gone from 50 pins to over 125 pins in just one night. Now I leave for vacation on May 21st and return on May 28th.

Assuming my shrooms are not ready for harvesting before then, what will happen to these shrooms if they are not picked at the right time? Will they simply keep growing for the week I'm gone or wither away and rot?

I am using the double tub tek by eatyualive and it's working wonders. My in-law will be here so no throwing the casing in the fridge.

At the rate these things are going I'm afraid that the best time to pick these bad boys will be when I'm gone. I have no one else to rely on to do the harvest for me.

What do you guys think?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineGatorB
Stranger
Loc: Southeast Tennessee
Re: Concerns about going on vacation and leaving my bulks. [Re: Wronguy]
    #4175526 - 05/14/05 05:02 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

I actually kinda have the same question...

InvisibleColonel Kurtz Ph.D
What What?
Male User Gallery
Loc: Shadow Moses
Re: Concerns about going on vacation and leaving my bulks. [Re: GatorB]
    #4175654 - 05/14/05 05:35 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/4154379#Post4154379

May ease your mind a little... but think of something to keep humidity high, that was my error :frown:

I think they'll continue growing for enough time for you to come back and harvest, given that they are still pins when you leave...

--------------------
:whatwhat:

There's no better way to rock out than with your cock out!!

OfflineWronguy
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Concerns about going on vacation and leaving my bulks. [Re: Colonel Kurtz Ph.D]
    #4175671 - 05/14/05 05:41 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Thanks for the reply Deepman. I guess my concern will be if they are close to maturing before I leave. I have a feeling that I'll come home to some seriously large fruits, but again I'm not sure. Again, I'm using the double tub tek, so no intervention is required on my part except to case and in between harvests.

Anyone else have a similar experience? Being on vacation I mean.

InvisibleColonel Kurtz Ph.D
What What?
Male User Gallery
Loc: Shadow Moses
    #4176136 - 05/14/05 08:28 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Well, when I left for my trip I made sure there were only pins and not maturing mushrooms; I'm pretty sure they'd have survived two more days, but I wouldn't let an already maturing mushi for a week all alone...  If you have them already somewhat developed maybe you should harvest, even if it isn't optimal, what can you do... I don't know, just my .02 :shrug:

It's a good think you're using a double tub, no probs with humidity, that "dried" to stroma two of my casings :sad:

--------------------
:whatwhat:

There's no better way to rock out than with your cock out!!

OfflineSammy
Between the fold

Loc: you'll shoot yer eye out ...
Re: Concerns about going on vacation and leaving my bulks. [Re: Colonel Kurtz Ph.D]
    #4176190 - 05/14/05 08:42 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

augustin....

How are those Double Tubs working out for you?? I just started one and the mycelium is ripping through the tub 3 days later. How long did it take yours to get to pinning?? I'm hoping not to case for the first harvest.

Good luck with your project

Hope you come back to something nice.

Sam

--------------------

I believe in the Golden Rule ? The Man with the Gold . . . Rules.
- Mr. T

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: Concerns about going on vacation and leaving my bulks. [Re: Sammy]
    #4176207 - 05/14/05 08:47 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

They'll be ready before you leave. You have seven days.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Offlinegoldtop57
Stranger

Loc: England
Re: Concerns about going on vacation and leaving my bulks. [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #4176268 - 05/14/05 09:03 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

I think the rule of thumb is to pick what the mushrooms that would be too old by the time you get back and pick the rest when you get back.

OfflineWronguy
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Concerns about going on vacation and leaving my bulks. [Re: Sammy]
    #4176391 - 05/14/05 09:38 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Sammy said:
augustin....

How are those Double Tubs working out for you?? I just started one and the mycelium is ripping through the tub 3 days later. How long did it take yours to get to pinning?? I'm hoping not to case for the first harvest.

Good luck with your project

Hope you come back to something nice.

Sam

Hey Sam. The double tub is working awesome for me! I wish I had more information for you on the progress, but I didn't start the double tubs until 3 days into fruiting.

I can tell you that my bulk casing started to pin 3 days after I started using the double tub, so air exchange is definitely working correctly. I have done NOTHING to them since I started. Let me repeat that, I have done NOTHING to them since I started.

My pin count has gone from 50 last night, to over 125 counted 6 hours ago, and more are growing. I did make the mistake of not covering the sides at first, so about 35% are growing from the sides.

I love this tek. If I would have known about it before, I would have never looked back.

I am currently doing a similar tek with a single tub. The tub is fairly large. I spawned PR to horse manure, allowed it to fully colonize, and I just cased it tonight. I took the lid of the tub, cut out a large square hole and taped clear plastic for light penetration. 8, 1 1/2 inch holes are drilled for CO2 expulsion and air exchange. The holes for the CO2 expulsion are drilled approximately 1/2 above the casing layer, while the holes for the air exchange are 1/2 from the top rim.

All in all there is about 10 inches of head room for air exchange and mushroom growth, but it might be more.

Do you want to see some photos?

OfflineWronguy
Trusted Cultivator
    #4176399 - 05/14/05 09:39 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Thanks everyone for replying and giving assistance. I will definitely monitor them for maturity before I leave. I may have to pick some prematurely if I think they'll be done long before I get back.

OfflineWronguy
Trusted Cultivator
    #4176454 - 05/14/05 09:59 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

I figured I'd post some pictures, in case anyone is interested in my current setup.

Here you go:

Large container using single tub tek

Inside of container

Double tub tek using small containers

My current and still going pinset

Okay, now I know this is not a high tech setup. My pinset isn't picture perfect. Let me say that I made the mistake, which I will never do again, of having an uneven substrate. I did not take the time to make sure everything was level before I closed the hatch.

The next time I do this I will make damn sure everything is level and have an awesome pinset. Again, I have done nothing to this container since I set it. No fanning, no misting, nothing. Well, I'm giving it light in a well ventilated room, but that's it. The light is coming from the closed shades in the bathroom, so it's not like I'm actually turning something on.

Man I love this tek!

Offlinestzacrack
Stranger
 User Gallery
Loc: United States
    #4176490 - 05/14/05 10:14 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

That's pretty sweet dude.  You've got a bunch of nifty set-ups there.  You said that you don't do anything after you set it in there?  Sounds like a sweet deal, nice work. 

P.S.  Good photos, good luck with your mushies!  :mushroom2:

Offlinestzacrack
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Concerns about going on vacation and leaving my bulks. [Re: stzacrack]
    #4176493 - 05/14/05 10:15 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Oh, I forgot to ask, which tek's are you using for the double tub set-up, and also what tek for the large single tub set-up. Thanks.

OfflineIGnosticAbhorI
Stranger-er

#4176501 - 05/14/05 10:18 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

:thumbup:

Jus wanted to say that you should post all of those pics in your original Post, that way peeps don't have to read all the way through :smirk:

Good luck, looks great so far :thumbup:

-Gnostic

OfflineWronguy
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Concerns about going on vacation and leaving my bulks. [Re: IGnosticAbhorI]
    #4176513 - 05/14/05 10:21 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

IGnosticAbhorI said:
:thumbup:

Jus wanted to say that you should post all of those pics in your original Post, that way peeps don't have to read all the way through :smirk:

Good luck, looks great so far :thumbup:

-Gnostic

Sorry about that, but this thread isn't about the double tub tek. It turned into one when someone asked me about how the setup is going.

Next time I'll put these up front.

OfflineIGnosticAbhorI
Stranger-er

#4176523 - 05/14/05 10:24 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Oh yea Lol :rolleyes:

Good thread anyways haha

-Gnostic

OfflineWronguy
Trusted Cultivator
    #4176535 - 05/14/05 10:29 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

stzacrack said:
Oh, I forgot to ask, which tek's are you using for the double tub set-up, and also what tek for the large single tub set-up.  Thanks.

Both teks can be found here. I warn you though, there is a lot of reading to be had on this thread. Pay particular attention to replies from Iamthewalrus, as I believe he is the one who went forward on the single tub thing.

Well, there you have it. If you want simplicity, use the double tub tek. I you want to have something more high tech, but produces the same results, look elsewhere.

Sometimes the answers to your questions are so small that you can't even see them. The double tub tek, was the answer for me. It's still a work in progress, so I'll keep you all updated.

Happy cultivating.  :cool:

Offlinestzacrack
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #4176540 - 05/14/05 10:32 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Sweet, I've been searching the grow log forum and I can't find the darn thing, thanks for the link.

What's the white stuff you stuffed the wholes with, cotton swab material, correct?

Offlinestzacrack
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #4176547 - 05/14/05 10:34 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Ohhh, polyfil, sorry, all it took was a little reading! :shakes head in disgust:

InvisibleQM33
(NOT A PUPPET!) ❤❤❤❤❤
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: Oregon
    #27415057 - 08/05/21 06:09 AM (2 years, 7 months ago)

He could probably have one of his kids or nephews or something do it at this point. Maybe he has a new little brother even.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate