Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Political Discussion

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Invisiblelooner2
ABBA fan

Moral obligations?
    #4174934 - 05/14/05 04:29 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

The only moral obligation the government has pertaining to war is the protection or propagation of its citizens. We rebuilt Europe and Japan because they would become great economic trade partners. We had no moral obligation to do so. Why then, has this new burden fallen on us to rebuild Iraq and set them up with a new country? After we found Saddam and ended the search for WMD, the only people we need in that country are special forces looking for Al Qaeda.

To me, the whole rebuilding of Iraq is a mere publicity stunt so the rest of the world doesn't throw a hissy fit. I would thoroughly enjoy seeing eurotrash squirm in their seats if we got up and left after the war.

--------------------
I am in love with Acidic_Sloth

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineKodath
strangerThan

Re: Moral obligations? [Re: looner2]
    #4176099 - 05/14/05 10:20 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Why then, has this new burden fallen on us to rebuild Iraq and set them up with a new country?

Because you broke it =P

You don't actually expect to walk in, bomb the place, destroy their government then just leave do you? I'm sure the rest of the world would have been happy to help with the rebuilding if Bush didn't give them the finger after they decided there wasn't enough conclusive evidence to attack in the first place. The fact that he went into Iraq anyway, without the consent of the international community, pretty much puts all the responsibility of fixing the place afterward on America's shoulders.

Besides just leaving the place in ruins isn't going to help strengthen America's image in the middle east, if anything it'll lead to even more terrorist groups forming after more people get pissed off.

--------------------

Life: Main event at the MGM Grand. Murphy's fighting Occam, and you're in the stands.

InvisibleLe_Canard
The Duk Abides

Loc: Earthfarm 1 Flag
    #4176114 - 05/14/05 10:23 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

The way I see it is, we came in and invaded the country, messed up the infrastructure (more than it already was) so the only decent thing to do is rebuild it. Those people have suffered enough.....

OfflineJesusChrist
Son Of God
Re: Moral obligations? [Re: Le_Canard]
    #4176620 - 05/15/05 01:07 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

If we just leave them in a hornets nest eventually we are going to be stung by the hornets. We need to drain the swamp so to speak and get rid of the nests. If we give them freedom, self determination and a chance for success they won't be a threat down the line.

--------------------
Tastes just like chicken

OfflineAlan Stone
Corpus

Loc: Ten feet up
    #4177319 - 05/15/05 08:34 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Oh, I get it. You can invade a country based on baseless allegations and then just walk out of there.
I'd rather be Eurotrash than brainwashed into patriottism. A country isn't a real entity, man.

--------------------
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

- Aristotle

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Political Discussion