Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Science and Technology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineOddish
Bulbasaur!
Male

Need some help with my computer.
    #4174414 - 05/14/05 02:02 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Recently my motherboard just stopped working. So I replaced that and then reformatted. Everything was fine until I installed my ATI X800 video card drivers. As soon as the computer restarted, the monitor started to flicker and constantly move a little bit. Before I installed the drivers the monitor was fine. Are the drivers on my video card not working properly with my new motherboard? Could something be physically wrong with my video card?

So at the moment I just kind of switched back to the integrated video card since it doesn't make the screen go crazy. I think I'm going to open up my case and maybe take the video card out and inspect it to see if it's physically all right. I really hope I can fix it by myself because I just bought a new motherboard and I don't want to have to go and buy a new video card, too! Sorry if this isn't the right forum for this kind of question.

Thanks for any help.  :tongue2:

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleautomanM
blasted chipmunk
 User Gallery

Re: Need some help with my computer. [Re: Oddish]
    #4174551 - 05/14/05 02:40 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

what kind of motherboard and video card are they?

--------------------
No, no, you're not thinking, you're just being logical. ~ Niels Bohr

OfflineOddish
Bulbasaur!
Male

Re: Need some help with my computer. [Re: automan]
    #4174723 - 05/14/05 03:39 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

The motherboard is an Abit. My old one was an Asus. The video card is a Radeon X800 Pro.

InvisibleSuffer
puter dork
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: MA
Re: Need some help with my computer. [Re: automan]
    #4174733 - 05/14/05 03:42 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

ok the first thing i would do is reboot the computer into safe mode. I assume that the bios is coming up correctly yes? and that windows isnt? if this is the case, your videocard is probably set at a resolution that your monitor cannot support. Right after your bios posts, you should press f8 (your running windows right?) and go into safe mode, if that works, then set the resolution lower in the settings and reboot. If that doesnt work, you prolly need to replace the video card. Feel free to pm me if you have any specific questions, or you can IM

--------------------

OfflineOddish
Bulbasaur!
Male

Re: Need some help with my computer. [Re: Suffer]
    #4175002 - 05/14/05 04:50 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Suffer said:
ok the first thing i would do is reboot the computer into safe mode. I assume that the bios is coming up correctly yes? and that windows isnt? if this is the case, your videocard is probably set at a resolution that your monitor cannot support. Right after your bios posts, you should press f8 (your running windows right?) and go into safe mode, if that works, then set the resolution lower in the settings and reboot. If that doesnt work, you prolly need to replace the video card. Feel free to pm me if you have any specific questions, or you can IM

Yeah, the flickering doesn't start until I get into Windows. I'll give your suggestion a shot. Thanks for the help!

OfflineBigGameHunter
Tech
    #4175767 - 05/14/05 08:22 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Yeah, it probably is a resolution setting. While you are in "safe mode" I would also check in the device manager under display adapters to see if your video card was recognized properly by Windows. Be sure that your chipset drivers (agp, pci, ide, etc) for your new motherboard are all installed properly too.

OfflineOddish
Bulbasaur!
Male

#4176203 - 05/14/05 10:47 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Well, I did what you all suggested and it works now. I appreciate the help guys!  :cool:

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Science and Technology