Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Offlinefreddurgan
Techgnostic
Male

Would you rather have a sampler or a synth?
    #4173036 - 05/13/05 10:55 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

I'm seriously at a loss here. I just do not know what I want to buy.

Either

Sampler

or

Synth

Because..the sampler I can obviously record sounds and expand it a lot more than normal, BUT then I am a lot more limited on my melodies. I have to record EACH note of a new synth sound and load them in. So if I find a tight synth sound, I can't just use it to make melodies. I have to sample in all 13 notes of each octave and that sucks. Given, samplers aren't meant for melodies, but it's the only hardware I'm going to have.

But the SYNTH I can make some tight melodies, but if I get tired of all the drum effects and shit, I can't get new ones. And I can't sample lyrics and stuff, or any kind of sound effects.

What do you guys think? I'm leaning toward the synth because I don't know anything about analog synthesis and I'd like to learn how it all works, plus I can just get a cheap sampler if I really want it. But..samplers are great and help creativity a lot.

Suggestions

--------------------
Ishmael
http://www.ishmael.org

Ron Paul 2008!
http://www.ronpaul2008.com/

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineNoviseer
Percussion isFree
 User Gallery

Re: Would you rather have a sampler or a synth? [Re: freddurgan] * 1
    #4173149 - 05/13/05 11:26 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

I'd go with the synth first, learn it, make music with it, and in the meantime be saving up for your sampler :smile:  Synths are awesome

--------------------

OfflineBrAiN
Art Fag
 User Gallery
Loc: Chocolate City
Re: Would you rather have a sampler or a synth? [Re: Noviseer]
    #4173206 - 05/13/05 11:52 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

sampler

OfflineViveka
refutation bias
 User Gallery

Re: Would you rather have a sampler or a synth? [Re: freddurgan]
    #4173639 - 05/14/05 04:03 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

That synth you linked seems more like a sequencer in function. When i think synth, i'm thinkin' keys, because if all a "synth" is is an interface with buttons, it kinda defeats the purpose of having a "synth". Also, when you're talking about "analog synthesis" it doesn't make sense because you linked to descriptions of digital equipment. Are you talking about an analog synth? That would be more like a keyboard and not something you're likely to find at Guitar Slut. Maybe we're mincing terms here but a "synth" has keys, like a piano, for recording a played part. With keys, you can change your dynamics based on how hard you hit the key, as opposed to havingto tweak knobs for each individual note to change the dynamics. Actually, the whole process of constructing melodies and drum parts on som,ething like the korg "synth" you showed seems like a real tedious and soulless process, more oriented for dance-type music or more repetetive loop oriented music.

But to cut more to the point. Why don't you get a sampler, so then you can record any sound you can conjure up, like you said and then do your sequencing and piece parts together and make melodies with software like fruity loops and acid or something. Hell, you could sequence with the sampler if you wanted.

Personally i don't know how long i could stand to work with either of those machines. I've had a lot of fun using more guerilla tactics like recording sounds into a bare bones sampler like a SP303 Dr. Sample, then pressing record on a tape (cd, hard drive, minidisc, whatever) and triggering samples and adding effects on the fly. But that's a very experimental approach, it all depends on how you operate. I play drums and alittle bit of a few other things so i'll have a lot of fun doing something like like just recording a few parts, then adding effects and combining different things i played, then recording wierd vocals of some sort,
then maybe throwing in a sample of broken glass in a carboard box or some birds that were chirping, the sound of infinity, whatever and just playing with it. Hell, I've done things entirely in my Dr. Sample just by chopping the ends of some recorded parts to create basic loops, then "performing" those loops in a planned out way onto tape. My basic SP303 has a very basic effects rig, 23 or so standard effects and three tweak knobs, but I can get insanely cool sounds with that basic set up combined with stuff i recorded live with a good phantom powered mic.

Recently,I've been working more with software sequencers like Fruity Loops and I think that combining the raw creativity of recording sounds with a sampler and the structure inherent in working with a software step sequencer or piano roll, you could open up a pretty huge pallate of possibility for cheap. But this is just coming from one weird dude with his own experimental approach to sound composition.

What's your approach?

OfflineFleaAccela
Hip-HopEncyclopedia

Re: Would you rather have a sampler or a synth? [Re: Viveka]
    #4173706 - 05/14/05 05:10 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

both those piece of gear suck, especially for the amount of money youre gonna pay for em. $500?????? fuck that. my boy eric has both of those and never uses em ever.

if i were you, i would get a kindergarden sampler like propellerhead's reason and pick up an old access virus (preferable virus "A" since its old and probally cheap and still sounds sicker than both those piece of gear you listed) and mabey a couple of reason refills (theyre sample cd's for reason).

dont waste your money on these guys. theyre fun for like a week. make real music man. get reason and a VIRUS!! get a used virus on ebay for relatively cheap.

--------------------
:royalrainbow:I love rolling... my Katamari!!!:royalrainbow:

InvisibleMiddlemanM

Re: Would you rather have a sampler or a synth? [Re: FleaAccela]
    #4174269 - 05/14/05 11:11 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

FleaAccela said:
both those piece of gear suck, especially for the amount of money youre gonna pay for em.

that's what i said, but i guess dude doesn't want to listen.

OfflineBoneMan
Shrimpin ain't easy
Male

Loc: new new england
Re: Would you rather have a sampler or a synth? [Re: Middleman]
    #4174658 - 05/14/05 01:21 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

there are such things as synths that come with a built in sampler.

i really dont know shit about samplers, but i believe the yamaha motif has a built in sampler. my friend has one, but we havent messed with any sampling yet, we do mostly original shit. awesome keyboard though, the sounds on it sound 10x more real than any other keyboard hes owned, some of which cost up to $600. the yamaha was like 1100 but the sound from it is fucking awesome.

we have sampled from other songs before though, but to do that we just use adobe audition to cut the loop the part of the song we wanted. seems much easier and more practical than having a whole separate machine to do that.
but im assuming you're going to be using samples in a different way than looping them and adding other layers on top.

InvisibleJim
 User Gallery

#4176488 - 05/14/05 10:13 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

eh.. such harsh words towards Korg...  definitely overpriced though.

I bet a lot of the people here are into the computer music creation with a basic midi keyboard input.

I'm a hardware man myself.  I just upgraded my triton Le 88 with the Karma Software, and it is unbelievable. 

I bought the triton for its sounds and its weighted keys which are awesome for gigging with, but I could have had the same music creation ability for 1/20th of the price if I used my laptop with a cheap midi input.

You can get a midi  keyboard  off of ebay for $50.  You can get  this  one too.  I recommended those, because I have both of them sitting in my closet :smile:  I inherited them from my father. Ha!  Anyways, for $50 bucks they are both a piece of music history.  Both from the late 80's early nineties.

I think eMusic makes a really cheap midi controller as well.

As far as software goes I have no idea what is the best.  I'm sure someone can point you in the right direction.

--------------------
Use the Fucking Reply To Feature You Lazy Pieces of Shit!

afoaf said:
Jim, if you were in my city, I would let you fuck my wife.

Offlinefreddurgan
Techgnostic
Male

Re: Would you rather have a sampler or a synth? [Re: Jim]
    #4176816 - 05/15/05 12:25 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Damn...harsh on the EMX-1.

Well I didn't read this thread again until today, and I already bought the EMX-1. I'm going to play aroud with it for a while (GC offers a return policy)

But this EMX-1 is still pretty badass. The synth is surprisingly good and all the samples they have are 100% usable.

Don't see how someone would never use this unless they were mad professional, which I'm not.

--------------------
Ishmael

Ron Paul 2008!

OfflineNoviseer
Percussion isFree
 User Gallery

#4178900 - 05/15/05 03:35 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

consider the microkorg... its a lot of fun.

--------------------

Invisibleohmatic
searcher
 User Gallery

Loc: europe
Re: Would you rather have a sampler or a synth? [Re: Noviseer]
    #4179326 - 05/15/05 05:47 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Noviseer said:
consider the microkorg... its a lot of fun.

dond dont dont !
i hate mine, fucking piece of crap!
never played on such a unhandy piece of shit with a navigation that LOOKS
cool but seriously is so shitty its incredible ...
wanna buy one cheap :wink:
peace ohm :mushroom2:

--------------------
:penis: MONOTUB tek :sun: HEATBOMB tek :penis:

RIP #cultivation! ....can't associate? well FUCK U !

OfflineFleaAccela
Hip-HopEncyclopedia

#4181561 - 05/16/05 08:43 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

GratefulJim said:
You can get  this  one too. 

hahahahaha!!!!

oh man, i just saw this! i got one of these!!!! fucking cheese 80's synth to no end! i wonder if the patches for it (on the ebay link you put up) would make it sound any less suck?

--------------------
:royalrainbow:I love rolling... my Katamari!!!:royalrainbow:

InvisibleJim
 User Gallery

Re: Would you rather have a sampler or a synth? [Re: FleaAccela]
    #4182309 - 05/16/05 01:10 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

I doubt it. The ESQ-1 is ancient. I only keep it around for the Mr. Moog sound on it. That and I mastered the sequencer on it.

--------------------

afoaf said:

InvisibleMiddlemanM

#4182344 - 05/16/05 01:19 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

GratefulJim said:
I'm a hardware man myself. I just upgraded my triton Le 88 with the Karma Software, and it is unbelievable.

Yeah it is. Did you get the 3 soundsets with it?
I sure wish they would update Korg MW for OSX..

InvisibleJim
 User Gallery

#4183981 - 05/16/05 07:54 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

yeah, I went all the way :smile:

--------------------

afoaf said:

InvisibleZen Peddler
Male User Gallery

Loc: orbit
    #4484329 - 08/02/05 04:33 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

My advice is to ignore both of those and just use your computer - 99% of electronic music is made purely with sequencer programs like acid or renoise with cleaned up samples from sound forge or wave lab.
You can get quality samples easily from any cd - as long as its a clean sound it doesnt take much to filter it and add some nice reverb or delay or whatever on a wave editor.

Now days few electronic musicians still pull their samples off synth voices using a midi - and synth sequencers are quite out dated compared to some of the sequencers you can get for your PC.

Trust me mate - if you dont believe me have a listen to some of my stuff:

www.angelfire.com/anime6/spiderofzen

--------------------

Offlinefreddurgan
Techgnostic
Male

Re: Would you rather have a sampler or a synth? [Re: Zen Peddler]
    #4487926 - 08/02/05 11:49 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Yeah, this is fairly old and I've moved on to PC based producing. I bought a Korg EMX-1 but returned it and got a Keystation 49e MIDI keyboard to control Reason with, and Refills are more than enough to keep Reason well past my imagination at the moment.

--------------------
Ishmael

Ron Paul 2008!

InvisibleZen Peddler
Male User Gallery

Loc: orbit
    #4488604 - 08/03/05 03:23 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

nice one!

--------------------

OfflineGrav
 User Gallery

Re: Would you rather have a sampler or a synth? [Re: Zen Peddler]
    #4488842 - 08/03/05 07:55 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

I just got a BOSS Dr. Sampler sp202 off of ebay for 90$
i have no experience with 'em so i think its a good deal to have somethin to mess around with.

also bought FruityLoops which is pretty cool. you can manipulate alot with it, load in your .wav samples, slice them up how you want, etc. I just started mixing in guitar riffs to put rhythms under, and then you can really tweak your sounds to pretty much anything you want.

my big gripe with computer software is that you have to do everything with a mouse, i dont know about you but i'd much rather feel the knobs with my fingers that pushing a dinky mouse around. i guess you sacrifice that solidity with software though.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore Cultivation Supplies