Home | Community | Message Board

Myco Supply
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinenitroguy
SeiZureS

Random Shroom Thoughts (Death)
    #4173339 - 05/14/05 02:52 AM (11 years, 6 months ago)

One time when I was on shrooms and I started to think about death (suprise suprise). Just thought I would pass on the thoughts in case someone would like to get a glimpse at another's mind.

If our conciousness is contained in our brains which is composed of the most complex chemical mixtures you can imagine, then what would happen when we died: Our brain (which embodies our conciousness) will disintegrate/rot/whatnot. This implies that our conciousness disintegrates. So then we are unconcious after death just like someone who just passed out--not at all like some angel or spirit that seems to posses a superior conciousness. That sounds like a pretty decent ending, just closing your eyes forever...

It seems strange that the questions that we are striving so much to answer is why are we here and what happens when we die. I figure we are here because early on in the evolution cycle we were programmed to fear death (although it could be as peaceful and relieving as passing out from a hard day's work). This keeps us going and evolving rather than just "going back to sleep". As for why we are here... why do you think you wake up every morning? It gets damn boring sleeping forever.

So that got me laughing about the whole thing (which pulled me out of my paranoid death-fearing bad trip) and I haven't stopped laughing about it yet. Now, whenever someone makes a wisecrack about how they almost died or got someone killed I just laugh because, "Hey who doesn't like to sleep every once and a while, anyways?"

BTW - Im not claiming anything I say to be true just wanted to share a shroom thought.

--------------------
...Weapons are meant for destruction,
and thus are avoided by the wise.
Only as a last resort
will a wise person use a deadly weapon.
If peace is her true objective
how can she rejoice in the victory of war?
Those who rejoice in victory
delight in the slaughter of humanity.
Those who resort to violence
will never bring peace to the world...

Lao-Tzu, "Tao Te Ching--31" trans. J.H. McDonald

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblespud
I'm so fly.

Re: Random Shroom Thoughts (Death) [Re: nitroguy]
    #4173416 - 05/14/05 03:33 AM (11 years, 6 months ago)

We exist to reproduce. We reproduce to exist. We fear death and in result create the illusion of immortality through religion and/or reproduction.

OfflineQuantumMeltdown
Space Monkey
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Re: Random Shroom Thoughts (Death) [Re: nitroguy]
    #4173723 - 05/14/05 07:49 AM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

nitroguy said:

If our conciousness is contained in our brains which is composed of the most complex chemical mixtures you can imagine, then what would happen when we died: Our brain (which embodies our conciousness) will disintegrate/rot/whatnot. This implies that our conciousness disintegrates. So then we are unconcious after death just like someone who just passed out--not at all like some angel or spirit that seems to posses a superior conciousness. That sounds like a pretty decent ending, just closing your eyes forever...

Usually psychedelics lead me to believe there is more to it then just that. I say its possible that was the start of our conscioussness but maybe its like once the reaction is set off and our conscioussness is born it exists on some plane outside of our bodies and that way it can survive the death of its physical host. What it does with it's self after that its anybodys guess.

--------------------
-QuantumMeltdown

Total abstinence is so excellent a thing that it cannot be carried to too great an extent. In my passion for it I even carry it so far as to totally abstain from total abstinence itself.
  -Mark Twain

"The time has come the walrus said, little oysters  hide their heads, my Twain of thought is loosely bound I guess its time to Mark this down, Be good and you will be lonesome
Be lonesome and you will be free
Live a lie and you will live to regret it
That's what livin' is to me
That's what livin' is to me"
Jimmy Buffett

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology