Home | Community | Message Board

SoulSpeciosa Kratom
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Science and Technology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Scales

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinewarrior_hippy
dude
 User Gallery

Loc: earth
flouride
    #4172029 - 05/13/05 07:49 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

I was wondering if anybody else here is paranoid about ingesting too much flouride and if anyone knows if it is possible or how you would go about removing it from tap water.
seems like theres lots of smart people here, college educated and otherwise. I'd also be interested to know to what you all think/know about flouride in general.
and yes before somebody points it out, i do wear a tinfoil hat, reynods wrap works best :zoom:

--------------------

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineCatalysis
EtherealEngineer

Re: flouride [Re: warrior_hippy]
    #4172064 - 05/13/05 07:58 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

RO/DI filter. They cost about $100-400 and the replacement/upkeep costs are surprisingly cheap if used properly.

They usually combine a carbon filter, reverse osmosis filter, and deionizing filter to reduce contaminants to near zero. You usually need a decent amount of water pressure and it helps to have free water as you get about 1 gallon for every 4 gallons processed. It is totally worth it.

OfflineCatalysis
EtherealEngineer

Re: flouride [Re: Catalysis]
    #4172108 - 05/13/05 08:11 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

To actually address your question, it depends on if you brush your teeth. I brush my teeth twice a day so I have absolutely no need for fluorine in the 8+ glasses of water I drink every day.

They don't use high-grade NaF or HF to add fluorine to your water, they use fertilizer by-product because its cheaper. This by-product contains heavy metals and possible radioactive chemicals that gets added to your water as well (if that doesn't already exist in your water).

An RO/DI filter can eliminate most of this contamination at relatively low cost. The water company doesn't use this because it costs a massive amount on a large scale but it is very feasable for private use.

Offlinewarrior_hippy
dude
 User Gallery

Loc: earth
Re: flouride [Re: Catalysis]
    #4172388 - 05/13/05 09:16 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

That totally doesn't supprise me what you said about where flouride comes from , I have read that some areas in florida use flouride that is somehow reclaimed from filters that they use in industrial smoke stacks. Also about brushing your teeth, I agree with that too,I drink spring water that claims to be free of flouride, use it in coffee, cooking. I have read that there is no real reaserch that proves which actually benifits your teeth, ingestion or topical application or both, . I have to search for some links about it, but there are some accounds of armies dumping mass quantities of flouride in the water supply of areas they plan to invade, because it was apparently known have some mild type of sedative effect,or sort of puts people in a mildly suggestive kind of daze.

--------------------

InvisibletrendalM
point of inflection
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Ontario, Canada
    #4172443 - 05/13/05 09:27 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Fluoride is one of, if not the most, abundant industrial by-product. It used to just be released into the air, but that caused a LOT of damage to the surrounding ecosystems.

They happened to find an excellent way to dispose of it when most municipalities started adding it to their water supply... :smirk:

Not to say that fluoride isn't good for your teeth. The evidence is indisputable for this. However the health-effects of system-wide fluoride intake are not fully understood, and there are some known risks and conditions caused by fluoride "poisoning".

When a worker who is exposed to fluoride develops, for example, fluorosis of the teeth/bones...it is considered a "toxic" reaction.
When a child develops fluorosis due to dental-related exposure, it is considered a "cosmetic" effect.

I like the double standards. :smirk:

--------------------
You're here because you know something.
What you know you can't explain,
But you feel it;
You've felt it your entire life.
That there's something wrong with the world.
You don't know what it is, but it's there....
Like a splinter in your mind...
Driving you mad.

InvisibletrendalM
point of inflection
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Ontario, Canada
Re: flouride [Re: trendal]
    #4172450 - 05/13/05 09:29 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Oh and Catalysis has it right: you want, at the least, a GOOD reverse-osmosis filter system.

Don't even think about using those silly Britta filters or anything like that. If you read the side of the box they actually say "maintains a healthy level of fluoride in the water".

--------------------
You're here because you know something.
What you know you can't explain,
But you feel it;
You've felt it your entire life.
That there's something wrong with the world.
You don't know what it is, but it's there....
Like a splinter in your mind...
Driving you mad.

OfflineCatalysis
EtherealEngineer

Re: flouride [Re: trendal]
    #4172572 - 05/13/05 10:05 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Funny thing about those brita carbon filters...They are actually not really what we normally consider filters, they are catalysts that simply break down compounds. Its kind of a crap shoot what you will get out of them if they aren't followed by an RO or DI filter.

Also...make sure your RO filter has a De-ionizing filter stage after the RO. This is what will eliminate you fluorine ions. It sounds complex but it is amazingly cheap to implement in the grand scheme of things.

Edited by Catalysis (05/13/05 10:12 PM)

OfflineChuangTzu
starvingphysicist
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #4173719 - 05/14/05 07:44 AM (11 years, 6 months ago)

That reminds me of this time a few years back when I was living in New Orleans. One day the water company sent us this really high quality, color brochure telling us how safe our water is and listing all of the things it supposedly DIDN'T contain. We immediately went out and bought a filtering system : )

InvisibleZippoZM
Knomadic
 User Gallery

Loc: Pongyang, North Korea
Re: flouride [Re: ChuangTzu]
    #4183058 - 05/16/05 06:32 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

"mandrake, fix me a drink of rain water and grain alcahol....." - dr strange love

hahahahaha

--------------------
PEACE

:mushroom2:zippoz:mushroom2:

"in times of widespread chaos and confusion, it has been the duty of more advanced human beings - artists, scientists, clowns, and philosophers - to create order. In such times as ours however, when there is too much order, too much m management, too much programming and control, it becomes the duty of superior men and women and women to fling their favorite monkey wrenches into the machinery. To relieve the repression of the human spirit, they must sow doubt and disruption"

"People do it every day, they talk to themselves ... they see themselves as they'd like to be, they don't have the courage you have, to just run with it."

Offlinepod3
Stranger
 User Gallery
- [Re: ZippoZ]
    #4206660 - 05/22/05 02:44 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

-

Edited by pod3 (10/26/06 01:18 PM)

Offlinecb9fl
Senior ChildMolestationExpert
Loc: florida
Re: flouride [Re: pod3]
    #4206692 - 05/22/05 02:52 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Just make sure you don't spill any of that Lovecraftian Hydrofluoric acid on yourself.

--------------------
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. -Andre Gide

"Generosity is nothing else than a craze to possess. All which I abandon, all which I give, I enjoy in a higher manner through the fact that I give it away. To give is to enjoy possessively the object which one gives."

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Scales

General Interest >> Science and Technology