Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineJutboy
I guess I'm cool

Is Air Necessary for inoculation?
    #4168583 - 05/12/05 09:43 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

I have some completly sterile (sealed) substrate jars ready for for inoculation. I was wonder if air was necessary for the spores to develop? My idea was to make a basic clean container by puting my air fitler/ionizer into a container with glovers and the necissary equipment for a day or two and then doing what I have to do.

Any ideas? Suggestions?

Thanks - Justin

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Is Air Necessary for inoculation? [Re: Jutboy]
    #4168614 - 05/12/05 09:50 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

You cant use sealed jars. When you sterilized them, you formed a vaccum. Put holes in the lids with a screw driver, and do a filter right (what kind of jars are we talking here? Substrate?) and resterilize the substrate, because it wont be when you put the holes in. Gas exchange is nessesary for INCUBATION.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

OfflineMyc0Maniac
Stranger
Re: Is Air Necessary for inoculation? [Re: scatmanrav]
    #4168621 - 05/12/05 09:51 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

You need to have a way to inject them..Like Scat said. Do some tyvek filters and some polyfil or just the tyvek. Or hell, even add a vermiculite layer on top.

OfflineJutboy
I guess I'm cool

Re: Is Air Necessary for inoculation? [Re: Myc0Maniac]
    #4169746 - 05/13/05 04:30 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

I have 1/2 pint jars and I'm testing a two different mixtures. One is just Vermiculite and Brown Rice flour and the others I added Spawnmate.

Im assuming in the shroomery's docs they say about tyvek or polyfil filters? I have to goto work in a big rush and I want to do everything after work. Which one is best?

Thanks so much

OfflineJutboy
I guess I'm cool

#4169765 - 05/13/05 05:12 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

I looked around for the filter directions and couldn't find anything...could you tell me exactly where they are.

Also does my idea for a clean box sound decent...I couldn't find any guides to that either.

Invisibledeathbychimney
45th GenerationRoman
    #4169767 - 05/13/05 05:13 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

i would like to say that you CAN successfully inoculate and intiate colonization with sealed jars.

magash's PFtek tutorial depicts taped inoculation holes, retaped during colonization. the obvious caveats of such a method are that when removing the tape for the first time, the pressure difference sucks air (and potentially contaminates) into the jar. the other downside is that you have no air exchange during colonization.

i did both methods for my BRF jars and found in general that my untaped jar had more moisture and colonized more quickly than -most- the taped jars. i didn't keep any of them taped during colonization more than 3 or 4 days though.

i wouldn't toss them, but i will never tape again personally.

--------------------
diarrhea takes over your life

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Is Air Necessary for inoculation? [Re: deathbychimney]
    #4170577 - 05/13/05 11:37 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

deathbychimney said:
i would like to say that you CAN successfully inoculate and intiate colonization with sealed jars.

magash's PFtek tutorial depicts taped inoculation holes, retaped during colonization. the obvious caveats of such a method are that when removing the tape for the first time, the pressure difference sucks air (and potentially contaminates) into the jar. the other downside is that you have no air exchange during colonization.

i did both methods for my BRF jars and found in general that my untaped jar had more moisture and colonized more quickly than -most- the taped jars. i didn't keep any of them taped during colonization more than 3 or 4 days though.

i wouldn't toss them, but i will never tape again personally.

The poster did not say TAPED, they said SEALED and you didnt have SEALED jars, you had TAPED jars. SEALED means CANNED...no holes in the lid, rubberside down, the button up top pops in SEALING the jar.

I also didnt say toss the jars...I just said add the holes, and then either use a filter or tape over the holes if using tyvek (foil works better then tape though) and RESTERILIZE.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

Edited by scatmanrav (05/13/05 12:05 PM)

OfflineKalix
'Head

Re: Is Air Necessary for inoculation? [Re: scatmanrav]
    #4170597 - 05/13/05 11:43 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

My first attempt just used a verm seal in a mostly-sterile environment. 50% got bacillus...

--------------------

My Unitarian Jihad Name is: The Shotgun of Sweet Reason

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags