Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Offlinewrestler_az
PsiLLy BiLLy
Male User Gallery

Loc: day dreams of a mad man
i wanna learn the guitar
    #4168089 - 05/12/05 07:38 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

been thinking, and i need a hobby other than drugs....and i decided i want to learn to play the guitar. im wondering if this is something that i can teach myself....or should i look into some lessons? also, whats a good guitar for someone whos just learning like myself to buy? i dont want to spend a rediculous amont of money on it, but i also want it to be something somewhat nice. and when buying a guitar, should i go new or could i get away with buying a used one somewhere?

--------------------
how's your WOW?

Edited by yageman (04/20/06 4:20 PM) 

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleSilversoul
Rhizome
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Barricades
Re: i wanna learn the guitar [Re: wrestler_az]
    #4168152 - 05/12/05 07:53 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

I learned by having my friends show me some simple songs, which I would play over and over at home, driving my parents crazy. If you have any friends who play, see if they can teach you anything. Otherwise, look into lessons. As for books, I checked out "Guitar for Dummies" and it really helped me out. And I'll be glad to show you a few things at the next AZ Gathering. I'm sure 40 will too.

--------------------

Invisibleoneducktwoducks
Re: i wanna learn the guitar *DELETED* [Re: wrestler_az]
    #4168201 - 05/12/05 08:08 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Post deleted by oneducktwoducks

Reason for deletion: .

Invisiblegema
Freedom from the Known

Loc: t(here)
Re: i wanna learn the guitar [Re: oneducktwoducks]
    #4168648 - 05/12/05 09:58 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

start out with used equiment until you know your committed. you can always trade for a new guitar later at guitar center. guitar center has good offers where you dont have to pay a dime for a year if you qualify for their credit card.

i wouldnt recommend paying for lessons unless you want to learn how to read music. surf the web or buy a book of tabs on songs from your favorite artists and have at it.

Offlinestefan
work in progress

Loc: The Netherlands
Re: i wanna learn the guitar [Re: wrestler_az]
    #4169545 - 05/13/05 02:13 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

good desicion :laugh:

Quote:

But if you have to buy one, first decide if you want an electric guitar or acoustic (or classical  but then you'll need a teacher).

It's wise to take at least some lessons, no matter what kind of guitar or style you want to play. Best to learn the basics properly without faulty techniques that are very hard to unlearn later when they start to bother you.
Sure you can learn a lot from the internet, but someone showing you face to face what you should do etc is the best. Especially because it's hard in the beginning, but once you get the hang of it you don't want to stop anymore :laugh:

good luck! :sun:

Offlinescribble
Stranger
Re: i wanna learn the guitar [Re: stefan]
    #4169887 - 05/13/05 07:16 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

It's wise to take at least some lessons, no matter what kind of guitar or style you want to play. Best to learn the basics properly without faulty techniques that are very hard to unlearn later when they start to bother you.

Agreed! When I started Bass I started with a faulty technique. Also I suggest learning how to read music. Tabs are fine but when playing with other people it can be much easier to tell someone to play an E#. Also tabs don't give timing or length of the note.

--------------------
Mahayana Buddhist tradition tells how Buddha lived on one hemp seed a day.
This was enough to sustain him during the six steps of asceticism leading to his Enlightenment.
In recent centuries, higher doses have been favoured.

Edited by scribble (05/13/05 07:16 AM)

OfflineTheCow
Stranger

Re: i wanna learn the guitar [Re: scribble]
    #4169991 - 05/13/05 08:34 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

I would disagree with most of these people. I started teaching myself classical guitar about a year ago, and have been progressing fine. I can play at least where a one year classical guitarist should be playing. In terms of reading music, not that big of a deal if you arent reading sheet music, which would normally be classical. Granted, knowing the notes on a guitar makes it easier to improv and solo. I find that since i know where all the notes are situated, I can solo in a certain key much easier.

Invisibleoneducktwoducks
Re: i wanna learn the guitar *DELETED* [Re: TheCow]
    #4171419 - 05/13/05 03:08 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Post deleted by oneducktwoducks

Reason for deletion: .

OfflineIAmTheWalrus212
LIL WEEZY
Male User Gallery

Loc: ?
Re: i wanna learn the guitar [Re: scribble]
    #4172785 - 05/13/05 09:19 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

scribble said:

E#

F?    :wink:

--------------------

Offlinepantsboy
I troll because I care.
Female User Gallery

Loc: 8====D ~o
Re: i wanna learn the guitar [Re: IAmTheWalrus212]
    #4173492 - 05/14/05 02:29 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

No one actually plays guitar anymore because its horribly outdated. Try playing dobro instead its totally easy and is used for almost everytype of music.

Or you could just get an epiphone or some crappy guitar like that. But try getting a cheap jazz guitar for like $300. Takamine's are awesome too but never on the cheap side.

--------------------
Acid doesn't hurt when you're on fire. :frown:

"Mushrooms are only similar to penises in their appearance." - LeBron James (2013)

ToiletDuk said:
"Bus squelching is not to be laughed at."

Offlinemushroomviking
Electric WhiskerButton

Loc: Vancouver, BC
Re: i wanna learn the guitar [Re: IAmTheWalrus212]
    #4173605 - 05/14/05 03:29 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

IAmTheWalrus212 said:
Quote:

scribble said:

E#

F?    :wink:

hahah I was just going to say that.

I think if you have any ounce of creativity in you at all, then you would be able to figure out the guitar by yourself.  Lessons are fine and all, but it really depends on what you want to make of your new found interest.  I suppose if you want to be a session player (doubtful) then you definately want to invest in lessons, but if this is just a got-nothing-better-to-do-in-my-spare-time-hobby, then I would just fiddle around with it by yourself.

OfflineFleaAccela
Hip-HopEncyclopedia

Re: i wanna learn the guitar [Re: mushroomviking]
    #4177250 - 05/15/05 04:54 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

dude

this is a nice deal for someone starting out. check out this guy's auction.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=47070&item=7321809415&rd=1

you get a fender strat (low end model) and an amp. what more could you ask for?

the lower end strats (squiers and bullets) are also frequently sold as a starter package with an amp at places like guitar center. theyre cheap and GREAT for beginngers. an amp is absolutely essential unless youre trying to learn acoustic jams, in which case, an aucoustic guitar is in order

but nothing rocks like an electric guitar!!!!

--------------------
:royalrainbow:I love rolling... my Katamari!!!:royalrainbow:

Offlinemushroomviking
Electric WhiskerButton

Loc: Vancouver, BC
Re: i wanna learn the guitar [Re: FleaAccela]
    #4178798 - 05/15/05 03:08 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

I personally wouldn't touch a squier, and I didn't start off with one either. But I suppose they're ok for someone who hasn't played before.

Offlineemptywisdom
simple being oflight
 User Gallery

Loc: Lemuria
Re: i wanna learn the guitar [Re: mushroomviking]
    #4179114 - 05/15/05 04:39 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

you don't need lesons, and squire's suck ass.

cyberfret is a cool site. And teaching yourself allows you to develop a style that is all your own. all your methods and quirks as a guitar player, favorite cords, everything, comes from your own heart. Teach yourself. I personally think it is better to learn with a shit guitar that is a bitch to play. It's often discourageing, but if you are dedicated (which is required) it's not an issue. Once you know your basic shit and can pull it all off on a shit guitar, not only are nice guitars a breeze to play, but they seem to talk to you. A really nice guitar has the ability to give you feedback on your playing and direct where you go in a way. There is a monsterous chasm between the experiences of playing a shitty guitar and a good one. But learning on a crap guitar is the most efficient way to learn. Once you are comfortable with where you are as a guitar player, then go nuts and splurge on the best guitar you have ever laid your hands on. It will without doubt become your best friend.

I'm currently playing a Dean nylon string guitar. It's gorgeosity incarnate. I started with a shity Oscar Schmidt that would not hold a tune. I learned to play on that, wich was the hardest guitar I have ever tried to play. It was a major blessing in disguise.

--------------------

OfflineTheCow
Stranger

Re: i wanna learn the guitar [Re: oneducktwoducks]
    #4180366 - 05/15/05 10:04 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Letto said:
If someone already played electric or acoustic guitar before making the switch to classical, then a teacher isn't really needed. But if someone with no guitar experience picks up a classical, then they will almost definitely need a teacher, at least for the technique issues that are bound to come up.

Once I again I disagree. I picked up classical with no prior guitar experience at all. Believe me a teacher is not needed. Just get a decent book on it, and start learning. No offense to musicians, but music and music theory really arent all that complicated.

OfflineFleaAccela
Hip-HopEncyclopedia

Re: i wanna learn the guitar [Re: emptywisdom]
    #4181658 - 05/16/05 09:50 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

emptywisdom said:
you don't need lesons, and squire's suck ass.

right, we all know squires arent the best of quality.

but were talkin about a guy who has no prior experience with the guitar and doesnt know for a fact if he will excel or will want to continue to play. what if he becomes disinterested?

whats the use of dropping $400-1200 on a guitar if youre not even sure if its a hobby or a practice you're not 100% positive you're going to play it for a long period of time?

i say squier is the way to go if youre just starting. if you get badass at it, get a better guitar, but dont go dropping $600 on a single instrument if youre not sure about it.

shit, buy a cheap guitar and spend the other money on other things like an amp and guitar pedal effects (wah wah pedals, distortion pedals, chorus, flanger, all that shit is expensive too, but definately essential)

--------------------
:royalrainbow:I love rolling... my Katamari!!!:royalrainbow:

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom