Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale, Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Invisiblenewuser1492
Libertarianism
    #4168537 - 05/12/05 09:29 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

I flirted with libertarianism when I was in college, but soon realized the fundamental problem with it: all success is predicated on people behaving a certain way, a way which 10,000 years of human experience shows is antithetical to human nature. (This by the way, is true of many ideologies - communism, facsim, etc.) As an example, the libertarian view on pollution (in a nutshell) is that government should not be involved. The marketplace will triumph because people collectively will boycott companies that pollute, and individually sue companies that pollute their specific air or land. But how does word get out that a specific company is polluting? Easy enough to make sure newspapers and television that do this kind of investigative reporting don't get ad dollars - under libertarianism there would be nothing to prevent corporations generating a blacklist of media outlets to kill. And if a multibillion dollar corporation says, "hey, my twenty highly paid scientific experts say that pollution didn't come from my drainpipe", how does a $30K/year individual marshall a lawsuit against them? Especially if it is legal for the corporation to call in favors from other corporations and have that individual fired, their mortgage forclosed, their health insurance dropped, and their kids kicked out of school. Public approbation? How does the individual talk to "The Public"? If a few people do get wind of it, the polluters will run some happiness-and-fluff commercials about how they really care about the environment and are working hard every day to protect it, and any tiny disturbance in their bottom line will be reversed (anyone else remember those bizarre 1970's era commercials that showed a thoughtful, intelligent Mom making sure her kids got only the nutritionally best snacks: Hostess Twinkies"?)

Bottom line of the libertarians: "Well, if people aren't willing to fight for something, then the market has decided, and they have to accept the consequences." The problem with that is the little guy did figure out a way to fight the big corporations without having to spend all day every day monitoring and coordinating. A strong representational government. But the first thing the libertarians want to see killed is that government.

Quote:

He didn't answer the question I most wanted answers: What happens to the losers in a Liberitarian society? What will happen to the people who, through no fault of their own, can't find a job or become productive members of society? Or those who become invalids?

Two examples: My fiancee worked hospice care for mentally disabled adults. One of them was a guy who got blindsided by an SUV while he was on his motorcycle. He went from being a well-paid metal worker to a grown man with the mental skills of a two-year old. Would the burden of his care be placed on his family, or the family of the person who hit him? Neither of them could support his care.

My future brother-in-law has muscular dystrophy, and has gone from walking around and caring for himself to a wheelchair and complete dependence on others in six months. He gets some help from MDA, but without government assistance my future mother-in-law could not afford treatments for him that could extend his life so he could be cured in the future. Does he deserve to die because he was born with a congenital disease? And I don't trust that a donations-funded organization could provide for him. What happens when they have a bad year? Would his medication be cut? Would his therapy and school aid be dropped because they can't afford it?

Neither quote is exactly representative of my ideas. I had posted these previously but I would like a fresh opinion on them.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleSilversoul
Rhizome
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Barricades
Re: Libertarianism [Re: newuser1492]
    #4168580 - 05/12/05 09:43 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

When asked to describe my political beliefs nowadays, I'll often say that I lean towards libertarianism, rather than actually calling myself a libertarian. By that I mean that I'm a social liberal and fiscal conservative who hates taxes and generally distrusts government, prefering it to be small, decentralized, and limited by the bounds of the Constitution. I distance myself from Rothbardian libertarianism and Randian objectivism, instead preferring the Georgist model, which I find is more accommodating to the needs of the little guy, without harming productivity, increasing government bureacracy, or redistributing legitimately earned wealth, as more liberal schemes tend to do. I still support the Libertarian Party, though.

--------------------

InvisibleKingOftheThing
the cool fool
 User Gallery

Loc: USA
    #4168681 - 05/12/05 10:10 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

libertarianism is like communism, it looks good on paper but doesnt work in real life. they have some good ideas, but then again so did marx

InvisibleAutonomous
MysteriousStranger

Loc: U.S.S.A.
Re: Libertarianism [Re: KingOftheThing]
    #4168708 - 05/12/05 10:23 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

KingOftheThing said:
libertarianism is like communism, it looks good on paper but doesnt work in real life.

It hasn't been tried, how do you know?

Quote:

they have some good ideas, but then again so did marx

Other than the 'opiate of the masses' line, I can't remember anything that Marx said that was a good idea.

--------------------
"In religion and politics people's beliefs and convictions are in almost every case gotten at second-hand, and without examination."
-- Mark Twain

InvisibleDieCommie

#4168756 - 05/12/05 10:41 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

KingOftheThing said:
libertarianism is like communism, it looks good on paper but doesnt work in real life.

Neither of those look good on paper.

OfflineLearyfanS
It's the psychedelic movement!
Male User Gallery

Loc: High pride!
Re: Libertarianism [Re: Silversoul]
    #4168781 - 05/12/05 10:47 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Paradigm said:
When asked to describe my political beliefs nowadays, I'll often say that I lean towards libertarianism, rather than actually calling myself a libertarian.  By that I mean that I'm a social liberal and fiscal conservative who hates taxes and generally distrusts government, prefering it to be small, decentralized, and limited by the bounds of the Constitution.  I distance myself from Rothbardian libertarianism and Randian objectivism, instead preferring the Georgist model, which I find is more accommodating to the needs of the little guy, without harming productivity, increasing government bureacracy, or redistributing legitimately earned wealth, as more liberal schemes tend to do.  I still support the Libertarian Party, though.

:yesnod: Zuh.

--------------------
--------------------------------

Mp3 of the month:  Sons Of Adam - Feathered Fish

InvisibleLe_Canard
The Duk Abides

Loc: Earthfarm 1 Flag
    #4168878 - 05/12/05 11:17 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

cb9fl said:

What will happen to the people who, through no fault of their own, can't find a job or become productive members of society? Or those who become invalids?

Two examples: My fiancee worked hospice care for mentally disabled adults. One of them was a guy who got blindsided by an SUV while he was on his motorcycle. He went from being a well-paid metal worker to a grown man with the mental skills of a two-year old. Would the burden of his care be placed on his family, or the family of the person who hit him? Neither of them could support his care.

My future brother-in-law has muscular dystrophy, and has gone from walking around and caring for himself to a wheelchair and complete dependence on others in six months. He gets some help from MDA, but without government assistance my future mother-in-law could not afford treatments for him that could extend his life so he could be cured in the future. Does he deserve to die because he was born with a congenital disease? And I don't trust that a donations-funded organization could provide for him. What happens when they have a bad year? Would his medication be cut? Would his therapy and school aid be dropped because they can't afford it?

This is where I have a major problem with this philosophy. My guess would be these two would just die because they aren't "productive". Rather inhumane if you ask me....

InvisibleKingOftheThing
the cool fool
 User Gallery

Loc: USA
Re: Libertarianism [Re: Autonomous]
    #4169041 - 05/13/05 12:11 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Autonomous said:
Quote:

KingOftheThing said:

hmm i seem to remember at the turn of the century coporations were operating unchecked and they could be trusted to "do the right thing" plus i like my 40hr work week and breaks and overtime...so fuck libertarianism

Edited by KingOftheThing (05/13/05 12:12 AM)

InvisibleSilversoul
Rhizome
Male User Gallery

#4169640 - 05/13/05 02:56 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

KingOftheThing said:
Quote:

Autonomous said:
Quote:

KingOftheThing said:

hmm i seem to remember at the turn of the century coporations were operating unchecked and they could be trusted to "do the right thing" plus i like my 40hr work week and breaks and overtime...so fuck libertarianism

Corporations have nothing to do with libertarianism. Corporations are legal fictions created by the government, given special benefits above anything granted to normal citizens. If you're going to debunk libertarianism, debunk it for what it is.

--------------------

OfflineGazzBut
Refraction

Loc: London UK
    #4169812 - 05/13/05 06:06 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

I see none of the Libertarians have actually responded to the valid questions in your original post!

--------------------
Always Smi2le

InvisibleAutonomous
MysteriousStranger

#4170297 - 05/13/05 10:02 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Paradigm is right, corporations are a creation of the government. They give government granted privileges shielding persons from individual responsibility for actions performed under the corporation. Not only that, due to a Supreme Court case in 1886, corporations are now considered 'legal persons.' So, we see that there was no libertarian system in place, contrary to what you implied.

You should not neglect the other facts that at the turn of the century, large numbers of people chose to move to large population centers from rural areas and chose to work for large corporations. (We see similar patterns being repeated in China today) If those people had chosen to remain on family farms, engage in child labor practices and worked extraordinarily long hours (as was the practice) would you be showing the same reflexive response against family farms? As my mother is fond of saying, "it takes two to tango,"

--------------------
"In religion and politics people's beliefs and convictions are in almost every case gotten at second-hand, and without examination."
-- Mark Twain

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

Loc: Dominican Republic
    #4170374 - 05/13/05 10:27 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Many people seem unable to distinguish between Libertarianism and Anarchy. These people have somehow gotten the idea there would be no laws against pollution in a Libertarian society. Where they get this idea from I haven't the foggiest notion -- dumping toxic waste onto another's property is an action clearly in violation of Libertarian tenets. So quote number one is completely irrelevant to any discussion of Libertarianism.

As for quote number two -- what will be done about those unable to support themselves -- in a Libertarian society no one will prevent you from supporting them, nor will anyone prevent you from persuading as many others as you possibly can to assist you in supporting them.

Phred

--------------------

InvisibleLe_Canard
The Duk Abides

Loc: Earthfarm 1 Flag
Re: Libertarianism [Re: Phred]
    #4170411 - 05/13/05 10:41 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Phred said:

As for quote number two -- what will be done about those unable to support themselves -- in a Libertarian society no one will prevent you from supporting them, nor will anyone prevent you from persuading as many others as you possibly can to assist you in supporting them.
Phred

No one will prevent you from supporting them, or stop you from presuading others to assist you in a non-Libertarian society either. However people aren't that altruistic on their own. I volunteer at a Salvation Army homeless shelter/soup kitchen and there's never enough of anything, believe me. While it is true lots would try to help, most people couldn't give a damn what happened to some permanently disabled person, as long as they thenselves could get a shiny new SUV every year......

Invisiblenewuser1492
    #4170509 - 05/13/05 11:12 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

dumping toxic waste onto another's property is an action clearly in violation of Libertarian tenets.

So how about a company buying up land and using it to dump their toxic waste? Or how about a company spewing tons of polution in the air? In at least the first case the company may not be directly dumping their waste on another person's land. However the waste would most likely find its way through the ground to water reserves and thus polute a large area.

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

#4171327 - 05/13/05 02:52 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

So how about a company buying up land and using it to dump their toxic waste?

You mean similar to the way that government now provides specified dumping facilities only for that kind of waste? No problem. If it's okay for government to do that, it's okay for private people to do that as well, no?

Quote:

Or how about a company spewing tons of polution in the air?

Same as if they spew it into water. Not allowed. Why do you feel a Libertarian society would allow this to occur? There is no difference in principle between heaving cyanide crystals onto your neighbour's land and dumping them into the river that runs by your neigbour's farm or sending cyanide fumes into the air upwind of your neighbour. Libertarians are capable of grasping the underlying principle in all these cases.

Quote:

In at least the first case the company may not be directly dumping their waste on another person's land. However the waste would most likely find its way through the ground to water reserves and thus polute a large area.

If it does, then they of course would be held legally liable, just as if waste from a government-run waste disposal facility got into the groundwater. Oh, wait.... if that were to happen the government would be in the clear, because it can't be sued.

Phred

--------------------

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

Re: Libertarianism [Re: Le_Canard]
    #4171354 - 05/13/05 02:58 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

No one will prevent you from supporting them, or stop you from presuading others to assist you in a non-Libertarian society either.

True. What's your point?

Quote:

However people aren't that altruistic on their own. I volunteer at a Salvation Army homeless shelter/soup kitchen and there's never enough of anything, believe me.

Do you honestly believe that if people were paying a tenth the taxes they do today -- and knew full well there were no tax-funded relief programs at all -- they would give no more to charity than they do today? If you do believe that, could you please provide some supporting evidence for this? Or if not evidence, then at least some kind of argument as to why they wouldn't?

Phred

--------------------

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Loc: Fractallife's gym
    #4171552 - 05/13/05 03:34 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

I also think that people are far more sympathetic to others who, through no fault of their own, get into trouble. They generally have less sympathy for people who fuck themselves up. You have the right to destroy yourself. I have no obligation to bail you out when you do.

--------------------

InvisibleSilversoul
Rhizome
Male User Gallery

#4171591 - 05/13/05 03:42 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Phred said:
Quote:

So how about a company buying up land and using it to dump their toxic waste?

You mean similar to the way that government now provides specified dumping facilities only for that kind of waste? No problem. If it's okay for government to do that, it's okay for private people to do that as well, no?

I think the issue here is procedure. The government has very specific regulations as to how to go about dumping waste in designated areas. If you're going to impose those regulations on private dumps as well, fine. But enforcement might cost a bit more. Plus, landfill locations are strategically located to minimize the damage they cause--something private landowners may not have the luxury of being able to provide.

--------------------

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Loc: Fractallife's gym
Re: Libertarianism [Re: Silversoul]
    #4171616 - 05/13/05 03:53 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

I don't think libertarianism is aversive to zoning laws

--------------------

InvisibleAutonomous
MysteriousStranger

Re: Libertarianism [Re: zappaisgod]
    #4171764 - 05/13/05 04:42 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

There are many flavors of 'libertarianism.'

--------------------
-- Mark Twain

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale, Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order