Home | Community | Message Board

NorthSpore.com BOOMR Bag!
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinespank0r
 User Gallery
Mycellium Stopped growing *HELP!*
    #4159817 - 05/10/05 10:28 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Hey dudes,

I inoculated 12 PF jars, no problem with contamination, and they were spreading mycelium very quickly and properly, but I put them back where they were and within a weeks time, I checked them again, and they hadn't made ANY progress, and the mycelium color (all around) is not as white and fresh anymore. (a tiny bit greyer)  Is there any reason for this?  Maybe the temp is too low?  I tired to keep them around 85F but maybe haven't been checking on them well enough... or maybe something else?

Has anyone else had this?  Are they permenantly dead?  Assuming the 85F temp is kept, will they "come back to life" and start filling the rest of the gaps in the jars?

Thanks!!!  *praying* for jars :smile:

Edited by spank0r (05/10/05 10:46 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleMrMaddHatter
Dementia praecox
 User Gallery

Loc: Everywhere
Re: Mycellium Stopped growing [Re: spank0r]
    #4159833 - 05/10/05 10:32 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

How cold did you let them get? Anywhere from 70F-85F is fine for growth.

Any way you can get a pic?

Offlinespank0r
 User Gallery
Re: Mycellium Stopped growing [Re: MrMaddHatter]
    #4159839 - 05/10/05 10:35 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

I might be able to get a pic.. but one thing I've DEFINITELY noticed is that the substrate is starting to "suck in", in other words, parts aren't touching the glass anywhere NEAR as much as they used to.

PS: "the greyness" I mentioned earlier is not so much the white mycel  "changing colour", but the mycelium seems to be losing it's whiteness and the vermiculite colour is starting to be more pronounced....  I'm positive it isn't cause it's too hot cause it never gets over 85+F in this room.

:frown:

Edited by spank0r (05/10/05 10:40 PM)

InvisibleStoreFront
|\|ewbie
Loc: Second star left....
    #4159856 - 05/10/05 10:38 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

well, hey, im new but i can help you out based on what ive read.

theres gotta be some air exchange. people seem to recommend removing any TAPE you used to PC or cover injection ports and cover with tyvek or aluminum foil and turn the jars upside down so CO2 gas can escape. the buildup of co2 is probably what stopped your growth

Also you should have a consistent way of checking temps. a thermometer can be had at wal mart for under a dollar. and good ones that record min/max temp records start around $8 if they got much above 94 degrees for long they could be dead.

also you might try shaking them? *shrug* maybe the part that didnt colonize is dried out from the pc? worst case scenario you could crack them open now and cut off the uncolinized parts with a very sharp, sterile knife/razor

hope this helps. good luck

--------------------
"What if christmas didnt come this year And no one paid for christmas cheer? Who would cry the biggest tear, The child or the store? Why do brides wear virgin white? Most do not deserve that right. But to choose a color of their delight
Would surely bring on the frowns. To defy the laws of tradition Is a crusade only of the brave.
Suppose the taxman, he comes to town, And you dont lay your money down. Yet mr. jones he killed mr. brown the other day. Well I wonder, whos gonna go to hell." -primus

Offlineliveby
Wasted For Time
 User Gallery

Re: Mycellium Stopped growing [Re: StoreFront]
    #4160099 - 05/10/05 11:27 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

ingrowing toe nail , principal

--------------------

http://www.bruceeisner.com/ -Creating a Sensible Culture

Offlinespank0r
 User Gallery
Re: Mycellium Stopped growing [Re: liveby]
    #4160147 - 05/10/05 11:36 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

"ingrowing toe nail , principal"

Wtf is that?

Also, does anyone reading this know anything about too much accumulated CO2? I don't know what to do about this (or if this is even the case) and it seems to be a very not-to-well documented thing... Someone shed some light please!!!

Thanks all

Anonymous

#4160368 - 05/11/05 12:42 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Heeyy how's it goin

First off, don't shake them like one person said. This is not supposed to be done with verm jars.

Sounds to me like your cakes are way low on moisture. I had the same problem with my current grow, and it wasn't too hard to fix the problem.

-Get some distilled water (or sterilize your own).
-Open your jars in a clean, dust-free room. (Steamy bathrooms work good)
-Spray the room with lysol.
-Dump the dry verm layer from all the jars into a clean container.
-Fill the jars with the previously mentioned water.
-Close lids, and let sit for 24 hours.
-After 24 hours remove lids, dump any excess water out, and replace the dry verm layer.

It is best that the water stays around 86F so as to not initiate pinning.

Good luck! =0)

Edit: About the CO2..As long as you have some form of ventilation you are probably fine in the CO2 area. You may want to turn your jars upside-down to make sure though. I'm assuming you have adequate ventilation because some the water has evaporated from the cakes/jars.

Edited by DirtyHippie (05/11/05 12:47 AM)

Offlinespank0r
 User Gallery
Re: Mycellium Stopped growing [Re: ]
    #4160429 - 05/11/05 01:10 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Hey man,

Thanks for the post!!!

A few questions:

1) Did this solve your dehydration problem? Ie, did shit "Start working" again? If so, how soon?

2a) How long should you keep the jars upside for?
2b) How does turning upside help with a possible C02 problem?

3) What kind of Lysol should I buy?

4) Think I can I try rehydrating using a needle?

Offlineextinguishment
day tripper
 User Gallery

Loc: Further
    #4160700 - 05/11/05 03:10 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

using a sterilized needle with sterilized water in a sterilized syringe sounds like the way to go to add some water to me. opening it up sounds like a bad idea to me.
:goodluck:

Offlinespank0r
 User Gallery
Re: Mycellium Stopped growing [Re: extinguishment]
    #4160762 - 05/11/05 04:23 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Hey dudes,

I did the emergency surgery on 10 of the 12 jars, because 2 of them have fully colonized to the best of my knowledge, but have dried so I will dunk them later when I'm not so damn tired.

This seemed almost as dangerous as preforming open brain surgery, and I was pretty careful during the entire process. Due to my bad luck I've been having lately... let's all join hands, sing kuumbaya, etc... and hope for the best with me.

I ended up cutting my foot during the process and got blood ALL over the kitchen floor... and I have yet to figure out what happened exactly. Rough night and I'm seriously starting to feel very dizzy and maybe it's time I hit the sack.

Peace

Anonymous

#4161001 - 05/11/05 08:11 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Yeah I know what you mean about the open brain surgery thing. I was pretty nervous while doing all this to my jars.

Quote:

spank0r said:
1) Did this solve your dehydration problem? Ie, did shit "Start working" again? If so, how soon?

2a) How long should you keep the jars upside for?
2b) How does turning upside help with a possible C02 problem?

Yup it solved my problem. My jars all got about half way done then just stopped. I did the water thing and over the next few days they were all fully colonized.

Keep the jars upside-down until they are fully colonized. By turning them upside-down you are allowing different parts of the caked acccess to new air.

Happy growing =0)

Offlinespank0r
 User Gallery
Re: Mycellium Stopped growing [Re: ]
    #4165227 - 05/12/05 02:37 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

To report back...

This has completely destroyed my PF cakes... the water inside mixed with the rest and turned dark-shitbrown colour, and has pretty much destroyed the cakes... i highly doubt I can recover from this.

I'm not bashing Hippie's methods, cause they worked for him, but for me, it was a complete disaster.  There NEEDS to be some documentation for what to do when shit like this happens!  It wasn't Co2 missing, they cakes have dried up...... :frown:

Next time, I'll put a bit of steralized water inside *WITH A NEEDLE*... that would probably fix everything.  But for the record, my first attempt has resulted in a complete failure :frown:

Edited by spank0r (05/12/05 02:59 AM)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck