Home | Community | Message Board

Kratom Eye
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Rye Grain, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineGodspeed
Stranger
Loc: God's Basement
Questions for my summer grow
    #4164050 - 05/11/05 11:39 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

i've ordered strains i've already grown before, this time i aim to make prints so i won't have to buy them again :stoned:

- equador, b+, texas, golden teacher...incase you're curious

a few basic questions because i'm doing things a bit differently this time.  instead of using the 1/2 pint jars, i'm going to use 1 pint because i'm going to do casings instead of the invitro and i'm just assuming that the more mycelial growth i have, the better off and more prolific the grow will be.  am i accurate in expecting this?  i've grown the 1/2 pints out many times in the past and was always told that its just more risk with the 1 pint jars for contams, but i have had much success and not many contaminated jars in the past so i'm just expecting this would be alright.  or, should i just remain with the 1/2 pint jars and double up the quantity?

another main factor i'm concerned about is time.  i'm going on vacation from the 2nd to the 11th, but i want to start the grow before this because i'm leaving in mid august and want to be sure i can grow out completely, get all the flushes, and make some prints.  when i used to grow i would check the jars daily, but i can't remember how long they took to fully colonize - i know each strains duration is different, tell me if one of those are quick, i believe the texans are but im' not sure. 
- would it be alright to leave the jars, upside down of course for water to get out, for 10 days without tending to them?  i'm assuming yes, they'll probably be half colonized by that time, it's just i can't catch contams if i'm not here, but i dont think there is much you can do anyways once their inoculated.

also, with the 1 pint jars, it would take more time for them to colonize which would give me an extention while i'm on my trip.

so you think that'd work fine?  inoculate june 1st, leave the 2nd till the 11th, and come back with some stable jars?  i've got a place where the temp is constant, so no worries there.

any suggestions would be appreciated - if i should be alright.  :heart:

i'd also like to post this design i've come up with for the casing layout, but i'll do that when the time is nearer.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlineongoman
Experimenter
Loc: On the mighty Mississippi
Re: Questions for my summer grow [Re: Godspeed]
    #4164473 - 05/12/05 01:06 AM (11 years, 6 months ago)

If you already have experience I would suggest you give some WBS or rye casings a shot, its really cheap and is definitely worth the extra work and research you would have to do

--------------------
When you change the way you see things, the things you see change.

OfflineGodspeed
Stranger
Re: Questions for my summer grow [Re: ongoman]
    #4165260 - 05/12/05 05:18 AM (11 years, 6 months ago)

wbs? yea i'm not sure on the best substrate for casing, i'm sure people have deliberated over it many times, i'm open for suggestions. ideally i'd like to use manure i suppose, just seems simple. all these 40/60 mixtures of lime or whatever used confuses me. i'm simple but go extreme in the simplicity

InvisibleDK1
Male
Re: Questions for my summer grow [Re: Godspeed]
    #4165829 - 05/12/05 11:32 AM (11 years, 6 months ago)

If you're going to do casings with grains it's always best to know that wbs is best for spawning but rye is better for fruiting. Also I would go with quart jars instead.

InvisibleDK1
Male
Re: Questions for my summer grow [Re: DK1]
    #4165835 - 05/12/05 11:35 AM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Manure is used for bulk grows. Normally you would still need some colonized substrate to use with some pasteurized h/poo and you would still be casing.

OfflineGodspeed
Stranger
Re: Questions for my summer grow [Re: DK1]
    #4169540 - 05/13/05 04:09 AM (11 years, 6 months ago)

i see wbs, abbreviation for what?

shouldnt i be concerned with contams when using quart jars?

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Rye Grain, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation