Home | Community | Message Board

Zamnesia.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Agar, Brown Rice Flour, Coir, Melatonin, Peat, Rye Grain, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinekadakuda
The Great"Green".......East
 User Gallery

Loc: Asia
What can Cubensis absorb? food q.
    #4164007 - 05/11/05 11:26 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Im curious as to what type of things cubensis can absorb and eat.  im not really look for "webs, brf, straw etc".  im more interested in what sorts of things it can actually take up and what prevents its growth.  for example if there is a certain mineral, chemical, bacterial or whatever that it needs or cant have.  i want to experiment with really different things and would like at least a rough outline so i can strike things out.

second q.  is pretty much the same thing but more so for our eating benefits.  the way i see it (coming from a meat eating person who doesnt get much fungal/veggy nutrition) i may as well make the things as healthy as i can.  so if i were to put things known to have certain vitamins, minerals, chemicals etc would there be any way of semi-knowing, without lab tests, that they mycelium "soaked" it up?  i guess something like when people say "can i get THC in my shrooms if i grow them from bud?".  along those lines but different.

hope that made sense  :smirk:

thanks

--------------------
The seeds you won't sow are the plants you dont grow.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinekadakuda
 User Gallery

Re: What can Cubensis absorb? food q. [Re: kadakuda]
    #4165957 - 05/12/05 12:17 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

bump. am i missing this somewhere?

--------------------

Offlinelordoftheshroomz
recoveringaddict
 User Gallery

Loc: wouldn't you like to kno ...
    #4165988 - 05/12/05 12:27 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

i made a post liek this a while back and i ended up getting fried by scatmarav, look up the alien substrate formula and if u wanna kno wuts in it then gather the ingredients and read the nutrition labels

--------------------
MY Glove Box, Automated Terrarium, and Incubator
Lil' Wyte, Three Six Mafia, Project Pat will bring it to ya door if theres ana on ya chest.
THE PATRIOT ACT MAY BE THE DOOM OF US ALL! THEY CAN GET THINGS LIKE YOUR MEDICAL/LEGAL RECORDS, YOUR INTERNET HISTORY, YOUR GOOGLE SEARCH INFORMATION, ALL WITHOUT PROBABLE CAUSE OR A WARRANT! ALSO NO ONE CAN LEGALLY TELL YOU. YOU'LL NEVER KNOW UNTIL IT'S TOO LATE, THIS ISN'T EXACTLY A FREE COUNTRY ANYMORE NOW IS IT? THEY ARE DESTROYING THIS COUNTRY SO THEY CAN GET RICHER! THE WAR IN IRAQ ACCOMPLISHED NOTHING! HELP GET THE CONSERVATIVE RIGHT WING-NUTS OUT OF POWER, MAKE AN EDUCATED VOTE!

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: What can Cubensis absorb? food q. [Re: lordoftheshroomz]
    #4166309 - 05/12/05 02:46 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Theres just no point to this. Its been looked at for decades by others, take what theyve learned as best as you can.

I never fried anyone, I just started off the last one the same way....the only people that could answer any better then the information you can find in the FAQ's and growlogs about what substrates and substrate combos work, arent on this forum, or arent gonna tell you. Honestly the only person who could probably tell you EXACTLY what the mushrooms like to eat (broken down into vitamins and minerals) on this forum, is agar. And hes not gonna give away his secrets EVEN IF they were to complicated to do you any good. A small excerpt of agars find with mushrooms:

"Hint - Cellulose, hemicellulose, lignin, fiber, carbohydrates, proteins, oils, lipids, polymers, vitamins, nitrogen, soluble macro mineral trace elements, and cultured (dead) cells of certain microbes, mixed into a holding material that has a high moisture & nutriant retention capacity, as well as good permeability to gas/air.

In other words, Sub will remain a mystery for awhile, as well as how it was pre-treated - prior to being innoc'ed. "

And also take a read of this:
"carbon / nitrogen ratio <17:1, nitrogen 2.6%, phosphorus 0.2-05%, potassium 1.5-2%, calcium 1.5-2%, available boron <2 ppm, available ammonium <10 ppm, soluble salts 3.0-5 OdS/m.

I don't mean to burst any bubbles. But, It is not something anyone can find, nor buy at Walmart, or anywhere else for that matter. Nothing like it exists.

The ingrediants are already either sterile (USP grade), pasturized, or sanitized in such a way, all you have to do is hydrate it with distilled, or boiled water & it is good to go."

From this thread:
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/3797303/an/0/page/0

Now what all this means, is nothing PERFECT exists for our shroomies. And you cant just go into your medicine cabnent and start adding random pills like Melatonin  :rolleyes: or calcium to your substrate and make it do better. Trying to CREATE a new substrate by breaking it down into vitamins and minerals just isnt going to happen until you know the mushrooms like agar, and you arent going to find out everything agar knows by asking on this forum or any other forum for that matter (ESPECIALLY in BASIC cultivation), only through decades of growing and reading from those that are more advanced then myself and others here.

Now if your talking you want to learn what combos of substrates work well together, thats something worth researching. However just asking isnt going to give you all the knowledge you need since this isnt an exact science, but an art as well. Mushrooms DO need a well balanced nutrition of multiple vitamins and minerals, but the only way for someone as basic as anyone on this forum (with the exception of agar) is adding simple things, combining simple substrates and such that can be found by RESEARCHING what works for multiple people and trying it out and seeing what works for you.

I have read tens of thousands of threads on things, and how well they work and how well they dont. Personally, I have found a mixture of rye grass seed, rye berries, WBS (with 5% sunflower seeds), when added to a mixture of h-poo (mostly) with some worm castings, kelp meal, coir, straw and verm to be pretty damned good. Adding in 5% or less overall volume of an oily seed (sunflower, seseme, flax, canola, rape ect) ground into a powder, with rye ground to a powder to the bulk should help as well. Spent coffee grounds (with lime) added to the bulk mix would work out well too. Its not as simple as just adding some NPK chemicals or vitamins from the store. Beyond the mixture ingredients I mentioned though, I dont think you can get a better substrate, unless you go the route agar did and drop 100K and decades of learning.

Lord (or Kada), sorry if you felt (feel) I was (am) being an asshole but VV

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

Edited by scatmanrav (05/12/05 03:56 PM)

Offlinelordoftheshroomz
recoveringaddict
 User Gallery

Loc: wouldn't you like to kno ...
Re: What can Cubensis absorb? food q. [Re: scatmanrav]
    #4166489 - 05/12/05 03:32 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

no i didnt feel like u were being an asshole, jus that u got right to the point and blew me out of the water lol cuz u were right like u usually are

--------------------
MY Glove Box, Automated Terrarium, and Incubator
Lil' Wyte, Three Six Mafia, Project Pat will bring it to ya door if theres ana on ya chest.
THE PATRIOT ACT MAY BE THE DOOM OF US ALL! THEY CAN GET THINGS LIKE YOUR MEDICAL/LEGAL RECORDS, YOUR INTERNET HISTORY, YOUR GOOGLE SEARCH INFORMATION, ALL WITHOUT PROBABLE CAUSE OR A WARRANT! ALSO NO ONE CAN LEGALLY TELL YOU. YOU'LL NEVER KNOW UNTIL IT'S TOO LATE, THIS ISN'T EXACTLY A FREE COUNTRY ANYMORE NOW IS IT? THEY ARE DESTROYING THIS COUNTRY SO THEY CAN GET RICHER! THE WAR IN IRAQ ACCOMPLISHED NOTHING! HELP GET THE CONSERVATIVE RIGHT WING-NUTS OUT OF POWER, MAKE AN EDUCATED VOTE!

Offlinekadakuda
 User Gallery

Re: What can Cubensis absorb? food q. [Re: scatmanrav]
    #4167994 - 05/12/05 09:18 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

awsome thanks a ton man!  i guess what i was really looking for is not what makes them better but what they can actually eat.  for example some animals are specialized in eating say ants, others in say bamboo.  i know little about fungi so i guess i was wondering if cubenis could be generalized as such.  or liek a woodlover only likes wood and so on. 

im not looking for new formulas or mixtures, im looking for what tehy can, or cant, physically grow from. 

anyway from your post i gather its a pretty wide range of things and trial error and reading is the only way to get down to it...ya/no?

i am reading a lot about it, but i have yet to find anything related to what im asking.  its mostly jsut mixes that do well for people.  which is nice, but not really what im looking for.  huge mushrooms or flushes isnt really what im into either.  this hobby, like all my other hobbies, is purley for fun and to learn.  i learn best by learning the bare bones and teh biology of a given thing then experimenting on my own with various things.  not saying others info is gone un noticed.  i read all these logs and greatly appreciate them.  but i only get so far through others techniques :smile:

anyway thanks a ton for your input.  sounds like im asking too much.  "what can/cant people eat?"  type of thing...lol.

--------------------

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #4168060 - 05/12/05 09:30 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

I see more, I figured thats what your post was about which is why I included some other info. Mixes are not needed, it is just optimal. You can get PRETTY damn near optimal from WBS as spawn, to h-poo mixed with a bit of verm. Case with peat/verm+powdered oystershells for buffer). That is Cubies FAVORITE food. Poo. Next to compost..

They'll grow on just about any poo thats good (store bought is generally crappy, some needs to be aged enough, some mixed with straw because their to muddy) but horse poo is best (or anything from the, what is it equinine?, family like zebras and such) because it still contains straw peices. Needs to be weathered and aged though. Worm, cow, elephant, zoo, chicken, ect can all be used though to some extent. Some modifications are sometimes needed though.

As far as grain, just about anything will work, for spawning to poo, you want small kernals though (more points touching the poo). WBS works great for that. So does rye grass seed...BUT its tough to get water content right and its more expensive. WBS is cheap as hell. Rye is more expensive, but works great as spawn or to fruit directly off of. Millet, whole brown rice, or WBS can also be used to directly fruit off of. Rye mixed with WBS works better, but to keep it simple, wbs is better.

I suggest spawning to h-poo either way, even if not looking for huge flushes, because you will get POTENT shrooms (especially if you add kelp apparently, have yet to test the potency increase). But shrooms grown on grain can be potent as well.

Cubies will colonize just about anything too...wood, dog food, sugar, paper...but they wont fruit well from that stuff. Use something I mentioned for fruiting cubies. There are grass lovers (tampanensis, liberty caps, mexicana) and dung lovers (they need dung, pan cyans) and wood lovers (ps cyans and azures) but those species are something a little different...much research should be done into those before undertaking them, as well as some practice with cubensis.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Agar, Brown Rice Flour, Coir, Melatonin, Peat, Rye Grain, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation