Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineDevon1299
Stranger
Sterilization
    #4163689 - 05/11/05 08:14 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Common problem I see on alot of people's growth journals is mutes growing/mold/fungus etc. Why not take the time to clean everything exceptionall well?
Apart from lysoling, autoclaving equipment, wearing latex gloves, a face mask, and working in a draft free environment, what else can be done?
Bleach and H202 surfaces? When using tyvek envelopes, should you cut circles out, or just use a whole square over the top of the jar? Is this done post- or pre- PCing? Maybe PC for an extra 15 or so minutes to really assure sterilization? Every thread I've read some poor soul has had to throw away a couple of jars it seems. Lets start a thread dedicated to "hospital" conditions..I guess I started the ball rolling..Any input?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineWronguy
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Sterilization [Re: Devon1299]
    #4163772 - 05/11/05 08:28 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Unfortunately the reason some people fail is laziness. They just don't want to take the time to clean before they begin work. Me personally, I'm paranoid about getting contaminates, so I clean before I perform any work. I'm in pretty deep and contaminate free.

My personal advice to anyone trying their hand at this hobby is take the time to prepare before you work and you'll be fine. When you start cutting corners to save time, you make mistakes.

Is it really worth losing a few jars or cakes to a contaminate because you wanted to save 5 minutes by not properly prepping the area?

OfflineDevon1299
Stranger
Re: Sterilization [Re: Wronguy]
    #4163811 - 05/11/05 08:35 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

I've always been told that with basically any project, the key to success is good preparation. Let's start a list about specific things you do to assure a sterile environment.

Offlineoysterguy63
60's child

Loc: God's Country
    #4165699 - 05/12/05 08:48 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

My friend says the best approach is to follow the sterile procedures outlined on these forums and procedures, then go one step better.....be extra paranoid about cleanliness....it will pay off.

--------------------
Oysters...yuummmmm

OfflineMighty Bop
Big Boy

Loc: Nowhere
Re: Sterilization [Re: oysterguy63]
    #4165730 - 05/12/05 08:58 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Actually you can get away with not being as sterile as some teks suggest. It's better to be safe than sorry however. Whatever works for you :smile:

--------------------
I got a buddy with United Fruit, get ya started...

Trade List

Invisibleagar
old hand
 User Gallery

Loc: Somewhere Else
Trusted Cultivator
    #4165776 - 05/12/05 09:13 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Contaminates are a FACT OF LIFE, as we live in a biospere full of them.

Learning procedures to minimize open air contact is key to sucess in this hobby in print making, LC's & agar petri work.

Sterility, gloves, masks, hair covering goes a long way. Proof of that is I used to do open air work in a sanitized bathroon, with the air vent closed & misted down.

I now have a PRO grade flow hood:

My contamination rate with the flowhood is under 2%.

Working in a sanitized bathroom, my contamination rate was under 4%.

A good glove box will suffice, but are a PITA to work in.

Always remember, you are a contaminate, open air is a contaminate carrier of spores you cannot even see. Clean your work area, work in calm air, wear gloves, a mask & hair covering..... all goes a long way.

If you are lazy about your sterility procedures, you will have a high contamination rate. Simple - as that.

--------------------

Offlinevescudero0
ay ay aaaaay

Re: Sterilization [Re: agar]
    #4166267 - 05/12/05 12:27 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

hello, i plan to use prints and make my own syring...so
i plan to do this, in a small bathroom which i think is perfect cause its small and i plan to whipe every single corner and cealing with aclohol, and spray h2o2 and some lysol before making the syring and inoculating... ( of course useing gloves, etc.....) my chances are good right???????????????????????
cause ive been reading alot and its true some people are paronoid with contams, and ive read it too much at a point where i consider my self to be one of them. ... so thats why im asking if it will work with this procedure??

--------------------
live & enjooooooooooooooooy

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Sterilization [Re: vescudero0]
    #4166569 - 05/12/05 01:49 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

It will, I also do all my work open air in a CLEANED bathroom. Make sure you shut off ALL FORMS of air movment (A/C, heater, fans, windows ect).

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale