Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Political Discussion

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PureVPN PureVPN   NordVPN NordVPN

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OnlineLearyfan
It's the psychedelic movement!
Male User Gallery

Loc: High pride!
North Korea
    #4163696 - 05/11/05 10:15 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

No one is talking about the coming apocalypse here. What's with that? The end of times is upon us folks. The earth experiment is nearly over. Discuss.....

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050512/ap_on_re_as/koreas_nuclear

Quote:

N. Korea Says It Will Bolster Nuke Arsenal By BURT HERMAN, Associated Press Writer
48 minutes ago

SEOUL, South Korea - North Korea said Wednesday it had taken steps that could allow it to harvest more plutonium for atomic bombs and that it would bolster its arsenal, the communist country's latest provocation amid deadlocked talks over its nuclear program.

A North Korean Foreign Ministry spokesman said the country had removed 8,000 fuel rods from the reactor at its main nuclear complex at Yongbyon, 50 miles north of Pyongyang. North Korea kicked out international nuclear inspectors in late 2002, making it impossible to verify the claim.

If reprocessed, the rods could, after several months, yield enough plutonium for a couple of nuclear bombs, South Korean media reported. The North claimed in February to have nuclear weapons, and the head of the U.N. nuclear watchdog said recently the North previously had enough plutonium for up to six nuclear bombs.

The move comes amid rising international speculation about a possible North Korean nuclear test. U.S. officials said last week that spy satellites looking at northeastern Kilju saw tunnel digging and the construction of a reviewing stand ? possible indications of a test.

On Tuesday, China rejected using sanctions to prod North Korea to return to six-nation talks on its nuclear ambitions, with a spokesman saying Beijing's political and trade relations with its neighbor should be kept separate.

The statement by Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesman Liu Jianchao came as a Bush administration official said the United States has asked Beijing to redouble its efforts to lure North Korea back to the negotiations. Three rounds of talks including China, Japan, Russia, South Korea and the United States haven't led to any breakthroughs.

The Bush administration is depending heavily on China to rescue a faltering diplomatic effort to negotiate an end to the dispute but has suggested no specific pressure tactics to Beijing, senior U.S. officials said Wednesday.

"We have normal bilateral relations" with North Korea, the Chinese Embassy spokesman, Maoming Chu, said in Washington. "We don't try to solve problems through pressure or sanctions."

The U.S. officials, speaking on condition of anonymity, said they were unable to verify China has dismissed the idea of sanctions to pressure North Korea.

The Washington Post reported last week that China had turned down a U.S. request to pressure North Korea to return to nuclear disarmament talks by cutting off oil supplies.

On Tuesday, the North's main newspaper alleged the United States was making a "fuss" by spreading reports of the alleged test preparations. However, the commentary in the state-run Rodong Sinmun daily didn't deny the North was planning a test.

North Korea issues daily warnings to its citizens of the alleged threat of invasion by the United States, and since June 2004 has refused to return to the disarmament talks, citing Washington's "hostile" policy. The United States has repeatedly said it has no intention to attack North Korea, but U.S. officials have said the nuclear impasse won't be allowed to drag on forever.

The top U.S. negotiator on the North Korean nuclear dispute will visit South Korea this week as part of efforts to lure Pyongyang back to the negotiating table, an official said Wednesday.

During the four-day visit starting Friday, U.S. Assistant Secretary of State Christopher Hill will meet South Korean Foreign Minister Ban Ki-moon and another official, Song Min-soon, to discuss the issue.

International Atomic Energy Agency chief Mohamed ElBaradei said last weekend that Pyongyang already had enough plutonium to make up to six bombs from an earlier batch of fuel rods. The estimated yield was higher because those rods spent more time in the reactor, which was last restarted in 2003 when North Korea withdrew from the Nuclear Nonproliferation Treaty.

On Wednesday, the North Korean official noted the country had already announced plans to operate the five-megawatt reactor at Yongbyon and resume construction on a bigger reactor there because the United States pulled out of a 1994 deal on the North's nuclear program made with the Clinton administration.

U.S. officials accused North Korea of running a secret uranium enrichment program in 2002 in violation of the earlier deal, under which Pyongyang agreed to forgo nuclear weapons development in exchange for energy aid and the construction of nuclear reactors that couldn't be diverted for weapons use.

South Korea expressed "serious concern" at the latest development.

"North Korea should immediately halt actions that have a negative impact" on efforts to resume disarmament talks, the Foreign Ministry said. "We strongly urge North Korea to return to the six-party talks without delay."

Japanese Prime Minister Junichiro Koizumi noted North Korea has made such statements before to bolster its negotiating position.

"We must work to show that North Korea will benefit the most from returning quickly to the six-nation talks and disposing of its nuclear program," he said.

I say get your kicks before this shit house goes up in flames.

--------------------
--------------------------------

Mp3 of the month: Park Avenue Playground - The Trip

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleSilversoul
Rhizome
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Barricades
Re: North Korea [Re: Learyfan]
    #4163709 - 05/11/05 10:17 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

It's not the end of the world. It's just a slight resurgence of the Cold War.

--------------------

InvisiblePsychoactive1984
PositiveCynicist
Male
Loc: California, Monterey Coun...
    #4163713 - 05/11/05 10:18 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

I'm kind of getting used to constant wars and escalations thereof... after a while you just become desensitized and focus more on patriotism rather then reason.

--------------------
"Their is one overriding question that concerns us all: How can we get out of the fatal groove we are in, the one that is leading towards the brink?" Albert Szent-Gyorgyi
"We may not be capable of eradicating the corruption of reason, but we must nevertheless counter it at every instance and with every means." Dan Agin
"Politics is the best religion and politicians are the worst followers."
-It's ok to trip as long as you don't fall.
-Substance over Style.
-Common sense is uncommon.

OnlineLearyfan
Male User Gallery

Re: North Korea [Re: Silversoul]
    #4163759 - 05/11/05 10:26 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

I can't understand why other countries won't let us be the only ones with nukes.

--------------------

Offlined33p
Welcome to Violence

Loc: the shores of Tripoli
    #4163899 - 05/11/05 10:56 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Learyfan said:
I can't understand why other countries won't let us be the only ones with nukes.

:lol: i like that cartoon

I think North Korea really just wants attention and free shit. They know damned well that they would turn into dust if they even thought about using a nuke on south korea or anywhere else for that matter.

--------------------
I'm a nihilist. Lets be friends.

bang bang

OnlineLearyfan
Male User Gallery

Re: North Korea [Re: d33p]
    #4164162 - 05/12/05 12:03 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Yeah, but they're crazy.

--------------------

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: To the limit!
    #4164295 - 05/12/05 12:27 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Do we have any more of those smallpox blankets left?

--------------------

OfflineJesusChrist
Son Of God
    #4164365 - 05/12/05 12:41 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

What do you do? They want lots of money and they will promise to put away their nukes. That is what they told us last time when Bill Clinton sent Jimmy Carter over there to give them lots of money. They took that money and aid and built more weapons. Now they are using those weapons to try and extort more money.

If we pay them it will only be temporary. They will spend the money on more weapons and only want more money.

I don't think that they can deliver a payload to the US. They could hit Japan, South Korea, or China.

If they do use a nuclear weapon, does the United States respond in kind and wipe them clean with nukes? I think that if we went by "the book" that is exactly what is supposed to happen. We have bases in South Korea and Japan, and we defend those countries. If one of those places is attacked with nuclear weapons I think we will do it.

It isn't an easy decision, but what are the options?

--------------------
Tastes just like chicken

OnlineLearyfan
Male User Gallery

Re: North Korea [Re: JesusChrist]
    #4164710 - 05/12/05 01:51 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

It's a tough decision. I am going to buy some extra duct tape this weekend, just in case.

Check this shit out

Quote:

North Korean children play a shooting game with a toy gun aiming at a portrait of U.S. President George W. Bush at Namjun kindergarten in Shinwiju, Pyongan-Budo, North Korea. The photo was released by Korean Central News Agency (KCNA) on May 9, 2005. Photo by Reuters

--------------------

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
    #4165325 - 05/12/05 07:02 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

> I don't think that they can deliver a payload to the US.

There are a alot of fruity people out there that would love to strap a nuke to the back of their truck and drive it into a US city. When you have a country that is starving to death, how much money does it take a terrorist to buy a few kilograms of fissionable fuel? Once you have the 94, making an actual bomb is childs play.

My fear is not that North Korea will bomb another country, but that North Korea will sell materials to the highest bidder. Of course, this is a neo-con wet dream... if a nuke were to go off in a US city the neo-con's would take over the world... or destroy it... before the dust settles. Bleh... I am starting to sound like those tin-hat folks...

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

Loc: Dominican Republic
    #4165428 - 05/12/05 08:43 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Hey, no problem. We have the UN, after all. The UN always has the answers. The UN never acts unilaterally. The UN will use diplomacy to solve this, because diplomacy always works.

Phred

--------------------

OfflinePhluck
Carpal Tunnel
 User Gallery

Loc: Canada
    #4166165 - 05/12/05 01:53 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

No one is talking about the coming apocalypse here. What's with that? The end of times is upon us folks. The earth experiment is nearly over. Discuss.....

LearyFan, are you a fear monger now?

--------------------
"I have no valid complaint against hustlers. No rational bitch. But the act of selling is repulsive to me. I harbor a secret urge to whack a salesman in the face, crack his teeth and put red bumps around his eyes." -Hunter S Thompson
http://phluck.is-after.us

Invisibleusefulidiot
It's notfascist, it's...Neoconservative!

Re: North Korea [Re: Phluck]
    #4166237 - 05/12/05 02:19 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Phluck said:

LearyFan, are you a fear monger now?

Simply put, I think he is just one of many who has made the choice to not continue living this life with a dominant sense of blind optomism in complete ignorance of the real magnitude of what we as a species are facing here in these times. C'mon, hop on the wagon..you know you want to.

OfflinePhluck
Carpal Tunnel
 User Gallery

Loc: Canada
Re: North Korea [Re: usefulidiot]
    #4166270 - 05/12/05 02:28 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

The wagon where I run around like a chicken with its head cut off? I think not.

We didn't die when we had a very, very real and much bigger threat of nuclear war, so it's stupid to shit ourselves with fear in this case.

I'll always prefer rational thinking to blind panic.

--------------------
"I have no valid complaint against hustlers. No rational bitch. But the act of selling is repulsive to me. I harbor a secret urge to whack a salesman in the face, crack his teeth and put red bumps around his eyes." -Hunter S Thompson
http://phluck.is-after.us

OfflineDrink_Punk_Soda
Now with ExtraVaganza!?
 Arcade Champion: Maeda Line, Moon Patrol

Loc: Nowhere fast
Re: North Korea [Re: Phluck]
    #4166287 - 05/12/05 02:37 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Rational thinking- Go drink a beer, smoke a doobie, and get laid... "just in case."  :wink:

--------------------

Kumbayah my lord, Kumbayah...

OfflineRonoS
DSYSB since '01
Male User Gallery

Loc: Calgary, Alberta
Re: North Korea [Re: Drink_Punk_Soda]
    #4166390 - 05/12/05 03:06 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Sounds like every other day for me... :grin:

--------------------
"Life has never been weird enough for my liking"

OfflinePhotoguy
Drunk andJobless

Loc: Drunk in Texas
Re: North Korea [Re: Rono]
    #4166470 - 05/12/05 03:30 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

The real question would be, if for some terrible reason, north Korea makes a nuclear move first (which i HIGHLY doubt) and launches a weapon at south Korea or god help us japan, what time line would follow?

First off, we would have to use our nuclear option. I do not think that anyone is going to deny that one, especially with the cowboys we have running the show right now.

So, we decide to go nuclear. Do you think China is going to seize this moment and go toe to toe with us? I do not think so, but then again, I'm not always sure.

I would imagine, that us going nuclear against North Korea would be the moment that China pulls out some sort of documentation that we have violated a treaty with them attacking a partner country and makes the move on Taiwan.

Now, we have sworn for a couple decades now that we will defend Taiwan against China no matter what.

So what happens then?

We either go head to head with China or we back down. Either way we lose.

And all because we did not handle North Korea the proper way 60 years ago and nuke them then.

I can surmise another few possible scenarios, one where japan and not the united states decides to retaliate. Japan has long claimed they have no nuclear weapons, but recent intelligence says that they have armed themselves.

The other nightmare would be North Korea makes a move. We retaliate. Across the globe, Tehran See's this move as the final straw before we strike them. The launch against Israel, Iraq and India. We go total launch package. The world is reduced to ashes in 45 minutes as China and Russia make a launch decision against each other in order to gain more land and mineral rights. We launch against Russia and China cuz we never like them anyways. Brazil attacks neighboring countries.
Peru and Ecuador attack each other. Mexico turns there army loose against the Texas border. France and Britain declare war due to age old hatred. South Africa launches against Madagascar. India and Pakistan launch. Canada launches a sneak attack against the united states because of an treaty with France.

And I will be fishing on my boat in Fiji, shrooming away and drinking Tecate beer.

--------------------
You gotta check yo' self before you wreck yo' self

B, Z, F, Burma, Cambodian, Golden Teacher, Puerto Rico, South American, Costa Rica, African

My name is Ender Wiggen and I will own you soon. Bean is my second in command, he is PC'ing jars right now.

Invisibletak
geo's henchman
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: nowhereland
Re: North Korea [Re: Photoguy]
    #4166613 - 05/12/05 03:59 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

i like you photoguy

--------------------
The DJ's took pills to stay awake and play for seven days.

OfflinePhotoguy
Drunk andJobless

Loc: Drunk in Texas
Re: North Korea [Re: tak]
    #4166957 - 05/12/05 05:09 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Well I just joined the shroomery folding squad so big ups on me.

--------------------
You gotta check yo' self before you wreck yo' self

B, Z, F, Burma, Cambodian, Golden Teacher, Puerto Rico, South American, Costa Rica, African

My name is Ender Wiggen and I will own you soon. Bean is my second in command, he is PC'ing jars right now.

InvisibleCalifornia
A E S T H E T I C S A T A N
 User Gallery

Loc: H A U N T E D H O U S E Flag
Re: North Korea [Re: Photoguy]
    #4167132 - 05/12/05 05:51 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Enough of playing Nkoreas 'game'.
Mass army, developing nukes, attempted coercion, enough is enough.
Let's nuke em. Now.
well maybe not now, but whenever it is dark there, I'd like to see footage of a nuke going off at night over there.

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: PureVPN PureVPN   NordVPN NordVPN

General Interest >> Political Discussion