Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Invisibleusefulidiot
It's notfascist, it's...Neoconservative!

Senate Passes Real ID: National ID Card On Its Way
    #4161213 - 05/11/05 09:14 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Step in line everyone..It's coming.

http://propagandamatrix.com/articles/may2005/110505senatepasses.htm

Senate Passes Real ID: National ID Card On Its Way

U.S. Newswire | May 11 2005

The Senate has passed the Real ID bill, creating a backdoor national ID card. After weeks of activism directed towards them senators knew the full scale of this horror but voted for it 100-0 anyway.

To: National Desk

Contact: Jeff Lungren or Terry Shawn, 202-225-2492, both of the Committee on the Judiciary; Web: http://judiciary.house.gov/

WASHINGTON, May 10 /U.S. Newswire/ -- House Judiciary Committee Chairman F. James Sensenbrenner, Jr. (R-Wis.), the author of the REAL ID Act (H.R. 418), issued the following statement following today's Senate passage of the supplemental appropriations conference report that included the REAL ID Act:

"The REAL ID is vital to preventing foreign terrorists from hiding in plain sight while conducting their operations and planning attacks. By targeting terrorist travel, the REAL ID will assist in our War on Terror efforts to disrupt terrorist operations and help secure our borders.

"I am grateful for the White House's strong support of this border security legislation. In addition, Senators Frist, McConnell, Santorum, Specter, Kyl, Sessions, Brownback, DeWine, and Cornyn were among those very helpful in shepherding this legislation through the Senate and I wish to thank them."

The truth is that Real ID does nothing to protect the borders and everything towards creating a national ID card.

Visit CASPIAN's UnRealID.com website to take action now!

FLASHBACK: The Real ID card: the machine readable you

FLASHBACK: Your Papers Please! National ID Cards Coming

FLASHBACK: Urgent action needed on REAL ID Act

FLASHBACK: HR 418- A National ID Bill Masquerading as Immigration Reform by Ron Paul

FLASHBACK: Real ID Act is a Trojan horse

FLASHBACK: National ID cards on the way?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleAnnapurna1
liberal pussy
Female User Gallery
Loc: innsmouth..MA
Re: Senate Passes Real ID: National ID Card On Its Way [Re: usefulidiot]
    #4161503 - 05/11/05 10:52 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

first of all..its not over yet..since there are other constitutional problems with the new law besides privacy ..

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_iraq_spending

Quote:

The spending package also requires states to issue more uniform driver's licenses and to verify the citizenship or legal status of license applicants, a provision that has prompted some states to threaten to sue.

Quote:

Sen.
Lamar Alexander, R-Tenn., joined Democrats and state officials Tuesday in criticizing the driver's license rules, which he said would create national identification cards and stick state governments with the bill.

so the national ID in its current form will likely be challenged over the 9th and 10th amendments...

second of all..the unanimous vote demonsrates that public opinion polls that show support for the war flagging are dead wrong.. or at the very least..that both parties in congress are firmly under the control of pro-war interests...

third of all..sensenbrenner is currently drafting a number of other such police-state bills..which will face little or no resistance in congress....so my hunch..and this is only a hunch..is that pressure on congress to implement the police state is because of economic reasons..which includes a nauseatingly large amount of right-wing populist amongst voters...

--------------------

"anchor blocks counteract the process of pontiprobation..while omalean globes regulize the pressure"...

InvisibleDNKYD
Turtle!

#4162506 - 05/11/05 03:32 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

This is outrageous.

Offlinebarfightlard
tales of theinexpressible
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Canoodia
    #4162515 - 05/11/05 03:34 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Leave the country while you can........

--------------------

"What business is it of yours what I do, read, buy, see, say, think, who I fuck, what I take into my body - as long as I do not harm another human being on this planet?" - Bill Hicks

InvisibleEvilEwok
Stranger
Re: Senate Passes Real ID: National ID Card On Its Way [Re: DNKYD]
    #4162534 - 05/11/05 03:39 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

So how will this ID be different than the ID's we all carry in our wallets anyway?

Does it use a RF technology to track peoples movements or somthing?

Don't get me wrong I'm against this thing just not sure what it is.

--------------------
Now go Home.

Invisiblecarbonhoots
old hand

Loc: BC Canada
    #4162748 - 05/11/05 04:32 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

They should put this into a chip that you get implanted.

Just think of the posibilities! There could be GPS tracking for each individual, maybe even some kind of automatic drug test could be included.

Why not cut to the chase and have some kind of a signal broadcast your credit rating too?

--------------------
  -I'd rather have a frontal lobotomy than a bottle in front of me

CANADIAN CENTER FOR POLICY ALTERNATIVES

InvisiblePsychoactive1984
PositiveCynicist
Male
Loc: California, Monterey Coun...
    #4162817 - 05/11/05 04:57 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

It could be worse... Or should I say it's going to get worse?

--------------------
"Their is one overriding question that concerns us all: How can we get out of the fatal groove we are in, the one that is leading towards the brink?" Albert Szent-Gyorgyi
"We may not be capable of eradicating the corruption of reason, but we must nevertheless counter it at every instance and with every means." Dan Agin
"Politics is the best religion and politicians are the worst followers."
-It's ok to trip as long as you don't fall.
-Substance over Style.
-Common sense is uncommon.

OfflineCatalysis
EtherealEngineer

Re: Senate Passes Real ID: National ID Card On Its Way [Re: EvilEwok]
    #4162886 - 05/11/05 05:24 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

EvilEwok said:
So how will this ID be different than the ID's we all carry in our wallets anyway?

Does it use a RF technology to track peoples movements or somthing?

Don't get me wrong I'm against this thing just not sure what it is.

It is because some states are too leanient with how they issue IDs. It becomes a national problem when states like Illinois are selling licenses to illegal immigrants without requiring any documentation or even a driving test. Most everything else is just paranoid speculation.

It would probably be better for the federal government to step in on a case by case basis but there is no doubt that some states are simply incapable of regulating themselves and it begins to pose a threat to the rest of the country.

Invisiblenewuser1492
Re: Senate Passes Real ID: National ID Card On Its Way [Re: Catalysis]
    #4162896 - 05/11/05 05:28 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

It is because some states are too leanient with how they issue IDs.

Quote:

AMENDMENT IX
The enumeration in the Constitution, of certain rights, shall not be con- strued to deny or disparage others retained by the people.
AMENDMENT X
The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.

OfflineCatalysis
EtherealEngineer

Re: Senate Passes Real ID: National ID Card On Its Way [Re: newuser1492]
    #4163019 - 05/11/05 05:51 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Just because a state can issue a license to drive doesn't mean the federal government has to accept it as a valid form of identification for citizenship purposes. That right is given to the federal government.

Invisibleusefulidiot
It's notfascist, it's...Neoconservative!

#4173925 - 05/14/05 08:35 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Country Moves Closer To
A National ID Card
Baxter Bulletin Online
5-14-5

If you think getting a driver's license can be a hassle now, Congress voted Tuesday to make it positively nightmarish.
Actually, the Senate approved an $82 billion spending bill for troops in Iraq and Afghanistan. But included in that package was a rider for what's known as the Real ID Act. The House approved the package late last week.

The Real ID Act essentially turns your driver's license into a national identification card. Or at least licenses issued by 2008 will be. That's when the program is to start.

While some supporters say that's not the case, as proposed the measure will require federally approved identification to board a plane, open a bank account, use any government service, collect Social Security and even have access to federal facilities, from national parks to government buildings. The Real ID almost could be viewed as a national passport.

For states, the kicker is that the Real ID process is to be handled through their driver licenses agencies, and licenses will have to be reissued to meet standards established by the Department of Homeland Security. Homeland Security will determine if the driver's license/ID cards are acceptable and can be used for any official purpose.

It's being handled through Homeland Security because this is another part of the administration's war against terrorism, although it has been noted the 9/11 hijackers were in the United States legally and had legally issued driver's licenses.
Ostensibly, it also will help control illegal immigration while tightening access to the United States. Literally. Besides identification cards, the measure allows Homeland Security to construct physical barriers wherever it deems appropriate for security, be it on the Mexican border, the Canadian border, around government buildings, maybe even along state lines.

Critics say it will hinder those seeking asylum in America by requiring them to show documented proof of abuse and/or persecution in their homeland. One example given was that Christians fleeing Sudan would have to have proof they were being persecuted by the Sudanese government for being Christian.

But back to the driver's license/Real ID. Under the measure, state agencies still will issue the license/card, but it will be a little more complicated than going to the Revenue Office, taking an eye exam, paying your fee and getting your photo taken.

Among the federal requirements for a license/card will be a photo identity document, proof of birth date and address, proof that your Social Security number is what you say it is (it will have to be verified) and citizenship status. If you're from another country, you'll need a valid visa. Then the issuing agency will have to verify your documentation, digitize it and put it in permanent storage. States will link their databases, forming a nationally accessible database.

You may then be issued your license/ID that's expected to have at least your name, date of birth, sex, ID number, digital picture, address and a readable technology Homeland Security will authorize. That means the card will have a magnetic strip, bar code or radio frequency identification chip so it can be scanned.

The card also must have physical security features so it can't be tampered with, counterfeited or duplicated. Homeland Security will be allowed to determine any additional requirements, such as a fingerprint.

So, it looks as if not too far down the road things out of James Bond and sci-fi movies will be as common as the driver's license in your pocket. Think about the information you'll have to provide for it, then think about handing your driver's license/ID card over to a clerk so you can write a check, show proof of age, or even someday go into a federal building.

While you're thinking about that, you also might ponder the possibility of having to present your driver's license/ID card to cross a state line or get into - or out of - a city, all in the name of national security.

Sounds far fetched, doesn't it? But the measure is real, passed unanimously by the Senate with the military spending bill, and by a 368-58 vote in the House last Thursday. Even members of Congress who don't like the Real ID Act couldn't vote against funding for American troops in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Is this what we're coming to in America? Are we really so fearful, so threatened by terrorists, refugees or illegal immigrants that we're on the verge of requiring a national identification card?

Will having uniform driver's licenses prevent terrorism? Is establishing a national database of everyone who has a driver's license/ID card going to stop illegal immigration? Does any of this make Americans safer?

It's something to think about, especially if the day comes when you go to get you're mail and you're greeted by a guard asking, "Your card, please."

http://www.baxterbulletinonline.co

Offlineintune_out-of-key
Male

#15528087 - 12/16/11 08:55 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Just posting to keep this active...

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
Re: Senate Passes Real ID: National ID Card On Its Way [Re: intune_out-of-key]
    #15529039 - 12/17/11 02:16 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

> Just posting to keep this active...

In the political discussion forum, it is considered bad form, typically resulting in a locked thread, to post something without adding something of value to discuss.

Edited by Seuss (12/17/11 09:21 AM)

OfflineChuangTzu
starvingphysicist
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Senate Passes Real ID: National ID Card On Its Way [Re: Seuss] * 1
    #15529049 - 12/17/11 02:20 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

I can add something about this bullshit.

If it's had no other effect, it's definitely made renewing my driver's license a lot fucking harder.

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
Two inch dick..but it spins!?
 User Gallery

Loc: Lost In Space
Re: Senate Passes Real ID: National ID Card On Its Way [Re: Seuss]
    #15529401 - 12/17/11 06:25 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Seuss said:
> Just posting to keep this active...

In the political discussion forum, it is considered bad form, typically resulting in a locked thread, to post something with adding something of value to discuss.

I'll bet you meant "without" adding something of value.

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
Re: Senate Passes Real ID: National ID Card On Its Way [Re: luvdemshrooms]
    #15529773 - 12/17/11 09:22 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

> I'll bet you meant "without" adding something of value.

Correct.  Fixed; thank you.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Loc: Fractallife's gym
Re: Senate Passes Real ID: National ID Card On Its Way [Re: ChuangTzu]
    #15529857 - 12/17/11 09:51 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

ChuangTzu said:
I can add something about this bullshit.

If it's had no other effect, it's definitely made renewing my driver's license a lot fucking harder.

Really?  All I had to do last month was submit an eye exam and mail it in with the renewal application and a check.  Piece of cake.

--------------------

OfflineChuangTzu
starvingphysicist
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Senate Passes Real ID: National ID Card On Its Way [Re: zappaisgod]
    #15530626 - 12/17/11 01:00 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Maybe NY hasn't begun complying with the Real ID requirements then. 

Since my state began complying with them this year (the first year it is mandatory, I believe, though that doesn't mean all states are complying yet), I had to submit all kinds of documentation as if it were the first time getting my license.  In fact, it was a lot more documentation than I had to submit the first time.

Most of it had to do with proof of address.  I had a hard time assembling the required documents proving I lived at the address that I've been at since before I first got my license.  Previously, to renew my license I just had to go online and pay $25, and that's what I'll be able to do from now on, but this time I had to spend a day rummaging through documents and actually go down to the DMV so they could photocopy it all.

And the other thing is that states are now required to recognize suspensions in other states.  Apparently my DL was suspended in VT 10 years ago but that had never stopped me from renewing my license before.  I got a speeding ticket there and paid it, but apparently they never unsuspended my license.  So I had to deal with the judiciary of a state a thousand miles away in a different time zone.  It took a couple months. 

Pain in my fucking ass.

OfflineCherk
Fashionable
Male User Gallery

Loc: International Flag
Re: Senate Passes Real ID: National ID Card On Its Way [Re: zappaisgod]
    #15530646 - 12/17/11 01:04 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Nearly 25 percent of African-Americans currently do not have a valid photo ID necessary to vote

I don't see any problems with a national ID card...how are my civil liberties even effected?

--------------------
I have considered such matters.

SIKE

Invisibledtowntoker
gimme a spliff
Re: Senate Passes Real ID: National ID Card On Its Way [Re: Cherk]
    #15530744 - 12/17/11 01:25 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

cherokee said:
Quote:

Nearly 25 percent of African-Americans currently do not have a valid photo ID necessary to vote

I don't see any problems with a national ID card...how are my civil liberties even effected?

Because of the man, man.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate