Home | Community | Message Board

Crestline Sales - MycoPath
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineMych
Stranger

some n00b question
    #4162109 - 05/11/05 04:08 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

I have quite a bit of knowledge from reading everything on this board, but there are just some things that you won't know till you have done it a few times. so...

question 1: i am starting off with some PF Tek jars. i mixed: 1 part BRF, 1 part water, 2 parts verm. To me it seemed kinda dry as the mix didnt really stick to my fingers at all. I could have easily added probably another 1/2 part water before there would be any standing water.. and that is BEFORE i even added the BRF. It might be that the verm i got is quite fine. most fits the 1mm size specification but alot of it is close to being dust as well.
the jars are already pressure cooked and ready to go.. any suggestions on how to handle the situation from here? If it matters i have 4 8oz jars and 5 4oz jars ready to go and a whole bunch more empties of each size.

question 2: ive got 12cc's each of cambodian, ecuador, thai super strain, and golden teacher. Which should i start with? ill be using a double rubbermaid container with fish heater to incubate and the classic PMP for fruiting. I also plan on immediately making a Karo Tek so i don't have to worry about running out of spores in the future.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlineviper100fm
mustash invation

Loc: budtown B.C
Re: some n00b question [Re: Mych]
    #4162117 - 05/11/05 04:11 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

id leave the ecuador untill you know what your doing my friend grows those... in all of are opinions eq is the best strain so far

--------------------
"Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man
Is either a fool or a coward.
Whoever can not take care of himself without that law is both.
For a wounded man shall say to his assailent
If i live i will kill you,
If i die you are forgiven,
Such is the rule of honor..."

Offlinejamsandwich
Male
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Flag
    #4162127 - 05/11/05 04:14 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

1) If you think the mixture was too dry before you added the brf, then it is most likely way to dry now. Standing water is not advised, but moisture is needed in the jars. If i were you, i would redo the jars following the instructions from the pf tek for simple minds. You could try shooting those jars, but if you are sure they are that dry, it could be a waste of spores.

2) Personal Choice. I've read that golden teachers are pretty resilient, but then again i've read that all p cubensis strains are. Be sure to hit your 8 oz jars with twice the spore solution you use in the 4 oz jars.

Good Luck

--------------------
8 years now! lol

OfflineMych
Stranger

Re: some n00b question [Re: jamsandwich]
    #4162145 - 05/11/05 04:18 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

jamsandwich said:
1) If you think the mixture was too dry before you added the brf, then it is most likely way to dry now. Standing water is not advised, but moisture is needed in the jars. If i were you, i would redo the jars following the instructions from the pf tek for simple minds. You could try shooting those jars, but if you are sure they are that dry, it could be a waste of spores.

2) Personal Choice. I've read that golden teachers are pretty resilient, but then again i've read that all p cubensis strains are. Be sure to hit your 8 oz jars with twice the spore solution you use in the 4 oz jars.

Good Luck

is there any "test" i could do to see if it is too dry or too wet?

OfflineRollen
Sexier then theaverage noob

#4162187 - 05/11/05 04:30 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

1) 1:1:2 is the right mix.  However I mix the BRF and verm together before adding the water.  I then add the water and mix it all again. 

2)Jamsandwich is right.  It is just personal preference.  I think all cubes are pretty resistant.  I have grown 3 of the 4 strains you have (EQ, cam, and GT's) and think they are similar.  Some say Cambodian colonize the fastest but EQ were the fastest for me.  Close your eyes and pick one. :smile:

Offlinemtr1514
MYCONAUT
Loc: over a mile high!
    #4165087 - 05/12/05 03:44 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Dont know where your residing but I live at an elevation of 7000 ft. I learned the hard way that I have to add more water than all the standard recipes. How much was determined by trial and error.

You also mentioned that your using very fine vermiculite. That definitely is a factor. The finer it is the more it will absorb.

Either way I would definitely up the water content if it's on the dry side. Otherwise your looking to have your jars stalled.

--------------------
MYCONAUT

OfflineIGnosticAbhorI
Stranger-er

Re: some n00b question [Re: mtr1514]
    #4165163 - 05/12/05 04:00 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

I tried 4 strains at once, and did bulk, let's just say sometimes i'd spend ALL DAY dedicated to JUST them...

Try not to overwhelm yourself with to much at once....:thumbup:

Gl

-Gnostic

Offlineoysterguy63
60's child

Loc: God's Country
Re: some n00b question [Re: IGnosticAbhorI]
    #4165639 - 05/12/05 10:23 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

I did cambos and GT's at the same time, and the Cambos were very fast but the GT's were only two days behind in the colonization. Good luck.

--------------------
Oysters...yuummmmm

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation